We can win without Boyd

StevenDavis

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/7823234.stm

Assistant manager Ally McCoist insists that Rangers' need to raise money from the sale of players in January does not mean the club lacks ambition.

Rangers accepted Birmingham's bid for striker Kris Boyd, only for the player to reject the personal terms on offer.

"Fans aren't interested in balancing books," he said. "All they want is a good team and to win the league.

"But I don't agree with anyone who says if Boyd goes we can't win the title or we can't win without him."

McCoist also claims he would walk away from Ibrox if he thought Rangers were surrendering the Premier League championship to Celtic by off-loading their stars.

"I totally understand the fans' views," he continued. "They just see the fact we're in the middle of the title race and may be selling our top scorer.

"I appreciate that. All I can ask the supporters is to look at the facts - we have to sell.

"Please do not look on this situation as a sign we're giving up on anything.

"If that was the case I may as well get my bag from my locker, throw away the key, jump in my car, drive off and never come back.

"That's just ridiculous and I hope they don't think like that because it's not the case at all.

"No matter who leaves we'll be doing everything we can to make sure we're successful on the park."

Rangers agreed a fee close to £4m for Boyd but the Championship side baulked at the 25-year-old's wage demands.

Despite the club's willingness to sell their leading marksman, McCoist believes the forward will continue to give his all for Rangers.

"I don't think Kris is hurt in any way," he added. "In this day and age there has to be a realisation from everybody of what's happening.

"It's common knowledge we have to sell someone in January. It's nothing against Kris or anybody else. He is mature and knowledgeable enough to know there's no witch-hunt.

"The offer just happened to be for him. We accepted it but so far he hasn't and he's well within his rights."

Winger Chris Burke has moved on to Cardiff and McCoist indicated that Blackpool were interested in renewing the loan arrangement for forward Alan Gow, who saw a transfer to Wolves scuppered by a failed medical.

Very well then Mr McCoist, but who could we replace Boyd with eh?

Lies, if we sell Kris Boyd the league is over, infact it's the end of the World - yet more bullshit from McCoist.

Ach sarcasm the last bastion of a true man. Muff what the fuck will we argue about if/when Boyd leaves?

Lies, if we sell Kris Boyd the league is over, infact it's the end of the World - yet more bullshit from McCoist.

Ach sarcasm the last bastion of a true man. Muff what the fuck will we argue about if/when Boyd leaves?

"whats more important, a striker who scores 10 or a striker who scores 5 and sets up 5"

I dont see us wining the league this year either way , Boyd won't save us the only thing that will save us is Walter smith leaving

I still reckon we can, as long as we keep beating teams and not drawing or losing, easier said than done however.

apparently, the Sunday Herald has some figures regarding points Boyd has won for Rangers due to his goals

In his first half season he contributed 15 points.

In his first full season h contributed 16 points

Last season 2 points (given he started less than half matches you would expect less impact points wise) - but helped deliver 2 cups.

This season to date 10 points.

that is a lot of points to be throwing away. Yes I am aware in some instances someone else may have picked up the mantle, so even allowing for half those totals it is a lot of points to send to England.

I no it sounds weird but i think it would be better for us in the long run if we lose the league this year

Explain.

If we win the league this year it would be obviosly brilliant but it would just be more of the same shite next year and we would then probably loose it again , but if we loose it there's more of a chance of big change's at ibrox well hopefully

If we don't make the Champions League next year i'd say there's a serious chance of the administrators coming in. In fact, i'd go as far as saying the qualifiers we play if we don't win the league would be our most important ties of the past 50 years.

Winning the league this year is more important than it ever has been.

If we don't make the Champions League next year i'd say there's a serious chance of the administrators coming in. In fact, i'd go as far as saying the qualifiers we play if we don't win the league would be our most important ties of the past 50 years.

Rangers Assists are worth a lot more than any debt we could get into.

Rangers Assists are worth a lot more than any debt we could get into.

It doesn't really work like that.

apparently, the Sunday Herald has some figures regarding points Boyd has won for Rangers due to his goals

In his first half season he contributed 15 points.

In his first full season h contributed 16 points

Last season 2 points (given he started less than half matches you would expect less impact points wise) - but helped deliver 2 cups.

This season to date 10 points.

that is a lot of points to be throwing away. Yes I am aware in some instances someone else may have picked up the mantle, so even allowing for half those totals it is a lot of points to send to England.

It's difficult to come to any conclusions with an analysis like this. Last season, for instance, we scored 84 goals in the league and this season we're on pace to score 86. If Boyd kept up his present pace, assuming he's going to start for the rest of the season, he'd score 38 of those goals so just removing his goals from the tally would put us at a frankly pathetic 48 (i.e. less than Caley Thistle scored in the league last season). If we do what you're suggesting and just use half of the total then it would still be an awful drop off from last season to 67 (the same number we scored when we finished third behind Hearts and that was in a tougher league). This is essentially arguing that Boyd alone is the difference between us being anything from a bottom six side to UEFA Cup challengers and I'm sure everyone, regardless of how much they rate him, would reject that.

In reality, it's impossible to account for how many goals the team would score without Boyd in it. In fact, if you work it out minute by minute, the team has actually scored more goals per minute/game this season with Boyd off the pitch than they have with him on it.

"whats more important, a striker who scores 10 or a striker who scores 5 and sets up 5"

That's lovely in theory but who exactly would this other striker be setting up for these 5 goals? :unionflag:

That's lovely in theory but who exactly would this other striker be setting up for these 5 goals? :unionflag:

I assume he means Miller, what worries me more we seem to have stepped into the realms of deflect/deny with this statement from Coisty.

Why do we have to sell Boyd to balance the books, why can we not just get rid of some of the other shite like McCulloch, Adam, Webster, Hemdani etc?

Surely selling that lot and reducing our wage bill x4 saves more money than selling our best striker?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/7823234.stm

Assistant manager Ally McCoist insists that Rangers' need to raise money from the sale of players in January does not mean the club lacks ambition.

Rangers accepted Birmingham's bid for striker Kris Boyd, only for the player to reject the personal terms on offer.

"Fans aren't interested in balancing books," he said. "All they want is a good team and to win the league.

"But I don't agree with anyone who says if Boyd goes we can't win the title or we can't win without him."

McCoist also claims he would walk away from Ibrox if he thought Rangers were surrendering the Premier League championship to Celtic by off-loading their stars.

"I totally understand the fans' views," he continued. "They just see the fact we're in the middle of the title race and may be selling our top scorer.

"I appreciate that. All I can ask the supporters is to look at the facts - we have to sell.

"Please do not look on this situation as a sign we're giving up on anything.

"If that was the case I may as well get my bag from my locker, throw away the key, jump in my car, drive off and never come back.

"That's just ridiculous and I hope they don't think like that because it's not the case at all.

"No matter who leaves we'll be doing everything we can to make sure we're successful on the park."

Rangers agreed a fee close to £4m for Boyd but the Championship side baulked at the 25-year-old's wage demands.

Despite the club's willingness to sell their leading marksman, McCoist believes the forward will continue to give his all for Rangers.

"I don't think Kris is hurt in any way," he added. "In this day and age there has to be a realisation from everybody of what's happening.

"It's common knowledge we have to sell someone in January. It's nothing against Kris or anybody else. He is mature and knowledgeable enough to know there's no witch-hunt.

"The offer just happened to be for him. We accepted it but so far he hasn't and he's well within his rights."

Winger Chris Burke has moved on to Cardiff and McCoist indicated that Blackpool were interested in renewing the loan arrangement for forward Alan Gow, who saw a transfer to Wolves scuppered by a failed medical.

Very well then Mr McCoist, but who could we replace Boyd with eh?

Would ask him the same question , whos he kiddin we will win without boyd , Boyd aint my fav player but no else is finding the net like him

Of course we can win the title without Boyd.

However, we arguably reduce our chances of doing so by removing his goal threat from the team for the rest of the campaign.

Selling him is risky. Almost as risky as spending £9million you don't have after going out of Europe.

It's this short-term, high-risk strategy that fans are worried about.

Man Utd can win without Ronaldo, Barcelona can win without Messi as can Real Madrid without Van Nistelrooy and so on and so on. However that DOESN'T mean they start selling these players for what is IMO a pitence, just to try and balance the books (or so they say)

Surely if that was the case we could offload the likes of McCulloch, Hemdani, Beasley, Adam and Velicka etc for same money?