Zelalem

Frank Reynolds

Has extended his loan until the end of the season:

Arsenal’s Gedion Zelalem will remain on loan at Rangers until the end of the season, manager Mark Warburton has stated.

Zelalem, 18, joined Rangers over the summer and has impressed his new boss after a string of accomplished performances for the Scottish Championship outfit.

‘Gedion is staying with us. We talked to Arsenal, that’s an on-going process,’ Warburton confirmed.

The teenager, who is regarded as one of the Gunners’ most promising youngsters, has made 11 appearances for Rangers since the start of the campaign.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underwhelmed by that, he has a bit of craft and guile about him but his pass rate completion is nowhere near good enough, if he makes a career in the EPL I will be surprised, same with Oduwa.

Completely agree with that, the past few weeks the amount of times he's lost the ball/given it away is outrageous

He's working on his game, but he is some player. He makes holding the ball and keeping possession look so easy. A very good player in the making. He proved when we played Airdrie that when he releases the decisive pass then he can hurt the opposition; he needs to work on that more, and having more composure in front of goal. That pass for Waghorn's goal, on his debut, has been one of the highlights of the season.

If he plays tomorrow ,we become pedestrian and predictable .Our options are going to be limited .Tells me that we won't be making signings in Jan

Whatever the shortcomings are in our squad, he isn't one of them; so how that tells you we won't be making signings baffles me. I think we'll make two signings, at least. Zelalem is a young player who is developing, and he is a far better player than some people are making out.

Whatever the shortcomings are in our squad, he isn't one of them; so how that tells you we won't be making signings baffles me. I think we'll make two signings, at least. Zelalem is a young player who is developing, and he is a far better player than some people are making out.

Knackered this morning so thanks for saving me a lot of typing.

If the message had been that he was returning to Arsenal I wonder if there would have been an outcry of protest at the loss of the player in this vital promotion season? I doubt it. So here's the question for Warburton, and a test of his judgement maybe:. For the run-in to the end of the season is the player going to stand up to the plate and deliver for Rangers in a promotion winning side: has he got the mental strength, the ability, the physical strength, the stamina, and the mindset to be a Rangers winner?

Having secured his services to the end of the season what doe Warburton do next with him? Its one thing having some experimental outings in the early fair weather part of the season when there is still time to make some course corrections in steering the way through a league campaign. But the time is now here when the team and subs selected for a game musst deliver - every game until the league is won. Point is this is the pressure pot bit of the season and time for carrying passengers or for experimenting is pretty much over. What we don't want is to look back over the second half of the season and find that it is not what we would want come May time and its down to Warburton persisting with experiments with young players where the pressure was not somthing they could bear at that age. That's whay its as much a test of Warburton's judgement as to how and when he deploys the player during the second half of the season. I hope the player comes out of his time at Rangers as a player who helped make a positive decisive difference.

He has a good quick touch and can often pick out a good pass.

I think we would all be calling Zelalem an amazing player if the ball was played to him, he played a quick pass / pinpoint pass outside the box to "a striker" and the striker takes a shot. Obviously they wouldnt always go in or be on target even but we would praise Zelalem for the assist and accuracy of his pass.

Instead the scenario is usually along the lines of ball to Zelalem, pass to McKay, back to Zelalem, finds Halliday, forward to Miller, back to Zelalem, to Waghorn, to McKay, to Zelalem... etc. And the rival teams can read it.

The boys got bags of talent but he's not quite at the level we need at the moment and you can tell his confidence has taken an absolute battering, especially since some of our fans like to get on his back quite quickly. I still think if we had a proper holding player it would make life easier for him and Holt.