Interesting team selection for the under 20's tonight

K.A.I

Senderos and Kiernan starting for the kids tonight against Hibs.

Not against the idea tbh. They're no use to the first team the lumps of wood - see if they can at least do the reserves a turn and make them realise what it's like to play for our club.

Dodoo also playing. Another good move - not for any sinister or negative reasons - just to get him games more than anything.

Good call and something we've not really seen a lot of since Warburton has took over.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, BF2 said:

Kiernan and Dodoo have just returned from injuries and Senderos is still building his fitness up. Nothing dramatic behind it.

I don't think this has happened before under Warburton, though. That's what I'm saying - I can't remember players coming back from injuries never mind slight knocks (they played 2 weeks ago remember) getting told to turn out for the U20's.

Dodoo to get games is a great idea and I think it's something we should do more.

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I don't think this has happened before under Warburton, though. That's what I'm saying - I can't remember players coming back from injuries never mind slight knocks (they played 2 weeks ago remember) getting told to turn out for the U20's.

Dodoo to get games is a great idea and I think it's something we should do more.

Murty's influence perhaps? In any case in won't make Kiernan and Senderos any less shite.

1 minute ago, BF2 said:

Murty's influence perhaps? In any case in won't make Kiernan and Senderos any less shite.

Could very well be Murty's decision. In fact I'd say it's a stick-on now you mention it.

A good idea as the other teams do it and that's part of the reason our results were shocking last season.

I know it won't make Senderos and Kiernan any less shite but if it was upto me they'd never play for the first team again. If they can help the U20's then happy days.

Fairly easily explained tbh. Senderos has missed a few games now, isn't likely to start vs Partick and then after that there is an international break. He could end up going from the OF until October 14th without any game time.

Kiernan, Crooks & Dodoo are just coming back from injury and could do with the game time to continue their returns. There may also be a an element of trying to build a partnership between Senderos and Kiernan.

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Could very well be Murty's decision. In fact I'd say it's a stick-on now you mention it.

A good idea as the other teams do it and that's part of the reason our results were shocking last season.

I know it won't make Senderos and Kiernan any less shite but if it was upto me they'd never play for the first team again. If they can help the U20's then happy days.

Tbh, I don't think them playing even semi-regular U20 football helps anyone. The youngsters barely develop enough in the development league system and denying them playing time at the expense of a 31-year-old with nearly 60 caps and another 'senior' player doesn't improve that.

Just now, The Dude said:

Tbh, I don't think them playing even semi-regular U20 football helps anyone. The youngsters barely develop enough in the development league system and denying them playing time at the expense of a 31-year-old with nearly 60 caps and another 'senior' player doesn't improve that.

I hope it's a regular thing from now on tbh as I've always said on here that first and foremost because they're at a team like Rangers they should be developing a winning mentality IMO .. Senderos and Kiernan aren't fit for purpose in my eyes but as I said if they can do a job in the U20's then great - as every other team seems to have a couple of senior players in their teams that were pumping up last season.

Good move by Murty I reckon.

Just now, K.A.I said:

I hope it's a regular thing from now on tbh as I've always said on here that first and foremost because they're at a team like Rangers they should be developing a winning mentality IMO .. Senderos and Kiernan aren't fit for purpose in my eyes but as I said if they can do a job in the U20's then great - as every other team seems to have a couple of senior players in their teams that were pumping up last season.

Good move by Murty I reckon.

Other than the games we've played against senior teams I can't think of any senior players we've faced tbh. Most of the U20 sides are comprised of U20s with no senior players.

It wasn't that long ago we were moaning about not using u20 players in the first team when they were trying to win trophies and develop this very same winning mentality because it stopped their development, now we want to chuck them out the u20 side to play senior pros (one of whom is amongst the highest earners at the club). That's utterly bonkers. The young players don't get enough game time against quality opposition at a competitive level giving them even less doesn't help them either.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Other than the games we've played against senior teams I can't think of any senior players we've faced tbh. Most of the U20 sides are comprised of U20s with no senior players.

It wasn't that long ago we were moaning about not using u20 players in the first team when they were trying to win trophies and develop this very same winning mentality because it stopped their development, now we want to chuck them out the u20 side to play senior pros (one of whom is amongst the highest earners at the club). That's utterly bonkers. The young players don't get enough game time against quality opposition at a competitive level giving them even less doesn't help them either.

Not me. I have never moaned about not using youngsters in the first team because in all honesty they haven't been that good for years now.

A lot of fans on social media and fans forums have romantic notions of our kids being on a par with the Argentine U20's or something and it's just not the case.

What I have said, though (and fair enough there's a bit of debate around it whether it's beneficial or not) is any games we are crusing in like 3-0 up at half time or with half an hour to go ... bring them on and give them first team experience and game time and gradually blend them in if they are indeed good enough.

If they aren't good enough where they can't be trusted to be used in a first team squad system after that process is done then move them on and concentrate on the next batch be it from under 17's or whatever. These loan moves to dumplings like Alex Rae's teams do zero good either. What can he teach Ryan Hardie? ... there's lots of complexities to it but it's a shame this match was abandoned tonight because that would have been, I think, Murty's 3rd or 4th game now and has it been straight wins? but either way he seems to be doing a much better job of getting them settled and winning first and foremost which is what I like. I can't talk for the style of football they've been playing as I've not seen any of the games and won't this season, either.