Chris Eagles - MultiMerge Thread

Ibroxblue

KEVIN THOMSON was last night on his way out of Rangers in a £2million move to Middlesbrough.

But Ibrox boss Walter Smith hopes the deal will help fund a shock swoop for Burnley star Chris Eagles.

Ex-Manchester United kid Eagles, 24, has shot to the top of Gers' wanted list after Thomson's exit was sanctioned yesterday.

Midfield powerhouse Thomson travelled down to the Riverside last night to talk with Boro boss Gordon Strachan and if all goes well he'll become the seventh SPL player Strachan has snapped up for Boro.

He's already lured Thomson's Gers team-mate Kris Boyd to the Championship along with Scott McDonald, Barry Robson, Chris Killen, Willo Flood and Lee Miller.

Strach also hopes to land Celtic stopper Stephen McManus on a permanent deal.

Thommo, 25, only has one year to run on his Rangers contract with the cash-strapped Ibrox club unable to offer the Scotland cap a new deal.

They believe it's now time to cash in on the player they signed from Hibs for £2m in January 2007, with his departure expected to be confirmed today.

It'll be a cash-only deal - with former Hearts and Aberdeen hitman Lee Miller NOT part of the latest round of negotiations.

Thomson's departure will alarm Ibrox fans who have watched as Boyd, Nacho Novo, DaMarcus Beasley and Steven Smith from last season's title-winning squad have all left.

There are also doubts over the future of at least SEVEN more Gers first-team stars as gaffer Smith admitted last week he may be forced to sell players who - like Thommo - only have a year left on their deals.

Thomson took a while to settle at Gers and struggled to live up to his price tag during an injury-plagued Ibrox stay.

Rangers are already forging ahead with plans to bolster their squad with £1.5m-rated Eagles now firmly in the frame for a move north.

Eagles starred in the Premier League last season despite being unable to keep the relegated Clarets in the top flight.

It's understood that his relationship with boss Brian Laws has badly broken down and he now wants away.

Celtic had expressed an interest in former England Under-21 starlet Eagles with Blackpool looking to agree a one-year loan deal.

Ex-Burnley boss Owen Coyle is also keen to take the winger to Bolton.

But Rangers will swoop in a bid to make him their first summer signing ahead of their pre-season trip to Sydney next week.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3051683/Thomson-heading-south.html#ixzz0tW14Mhzw

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KEVIN THOMSON was last night on his way out of Rangers in a £2million move to Middlesbrough.

But Ibrox boss Walter Smith hopes the deal will help fund a shock swoop for Burnley star Chris Eagles.

Ex-Manchester United kid Eagles, 24, has shot to the top of Gers' wanted list after Thomson's exit was sanctioned yesterday.

Midfield powerhouse Thomson travelled down to the Riverside last night to talk with Boro boss Gordon Strachan and if all goes well he'll become the seventh SPL player Strachan has snapped up for Boro.

He's already lured Thomson's Gers team-mate Kris Boyd to the Championship along with Scott McDonald, Barry Robson, Chris Killen, Willo Flood and Lee Miller.

Strach also hopes to land Celtic stopper Stephen McManus on a permanent deal.

Thommo, 25, only has one year to run on his Rangers contract with the cash-strapped Ibrox club unable to offer the Scotland cap a new deal.

They believe it's now time to cash in on the player they signed from Hibs for £2m in January 2007, with his departure expected to be confirmed today.

It'll be a cash-only deal - with former Hearts and Aberdeen hitman Lee Miller NOT part of the latest round of negotiations.

Thomson's departure will alarm Ibrox fans who have watched as Boyd, Nacho Novo, DaMarcus Beasley and Steven Smith from last season's title-winning squad have all left.

There are also doubts over the future of at least SEVEN more Gers first-team stars as gaffer Smith admitted last week he may be forced to sell players who - like Thommo - only have a year left on their deals.

Thomson took a while to settle at Gers and struggled to live up to his price tag during an injury-plagued Ibrox stay.

Rangers are already forging ahead with plans to bolster their squad with £1.5m-rated Eagles now firmly in the frame for a move north.

Eagles starred in the Premier League last season despite being unable to keep the relegated Clarets in the top flight.

It's understood that his relationship with boss Brian Laws has badly broken down and he now wants away.

Celtic had expressed an interest in former England Under-21 starlet Eagles with Blackpool looking to agree a one-year loan deal.

Ex-Burnley boss Owen Coyle is also keen to take the winger to Bolton.

But Rangers will swoop in a bid to make him their first summer signing ahead of their pre-season trip to Sydney next week.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3051683/Thomson-heading-south.html#ixzz0tW14Mhzw

2 million? is that it? :angry:

I would be happy with that.

I rate Eagles and i dont think Thomson has ever really properly recovered from his injurys.

I dont think 2million is a good deal and would want more but i dont feel too bad about Thomson leaving as others as its a well covered position.

Eagles is a good player and would rather he ended up at us rather than the taigs.

We have to be real here, we couldn't afford to give Thommo a new contract so do we have him for another season in an area of the team where we are strongish and lose him for free or get money for him now?

If we sign a left and right winger with the money Davis can finally move into centre mid

We have to be real here, we couldn't afford to give Thommo a new contract so do we have him for another season in an area of the team where we are strongish and lose him for free or get money for him now?

If we sign a left and right winger with the money Davis can finally move into centre mid

Davis playing in his proper position where he is effective and able to control the game are you crazy?!

Why are people constantly saying how strong we are in this area? With who exactly? Davis will be played out wide as we have *NO* wide players. So we have Edu & McCulloch...? Edu will spend half the season injured no doubt so then what. This is wrong. Very wrong. We are being decimated.

MY day is gonna go from bad to worse with this news.

We have Davis, Edu and Big lee all able to cover KT. Whilst 2m is low and is in keeping with our poor history of selling players cheap, this one has to happen if KT wont sign or we cant afford to sign him.

No chance Eagles for 1.5m either.

Why not sell lee or edu instead?

Because apparently we don't have to sell players. This is clearly a choice because the club are fearful he will walk away for nothing in a years time. Despite the fact that he said he wants to be here for life. I really can't see why we don't offer a one year contract extension, until we know where things are going. It will increase his value significantly, if nothing else, and if so desired, can be sold in the January transfer window.

We have been lied to again and again. What happened about Walter's statement that he would be offered a new contract?

I like both players but i have no idea why Smith has to get rid of Kevin we already have the funds for eagles (who will be a great player IF he comes to ibrox) unless they are planning to swoop for a new striker aswell maybe Welcome or some unkown player?????????????? point is why sell Kev???? we have a transfer kitty

Because apparently we don't have to sell players. This is clearly a choice because the club are fearful he will walk away for nothing in a years time. Despite the fact that he said he wants to be here for life. I really can't see why we don't offer a one year contract extension, until we know where things are going. It will increase his value significantly, if nothing else, and if so desired, can be sold in the January transfer window.

We have been lied to again and again. What happened about Walter's statement that he would be offered a new contract?

If we were that fearful about players walking, we would never have let Boyd go for nothing.

I like both players but i have no idea why Smith has to get rid of Kevin we already have the funds for eagles (who will be a great player IF he comes to ibrox) unless they are planning to swoop for a new striker aswell maybe Welcome or some unkown player?????????????? point is why sell Kev???? we have a transfer kitty

Have you spoke to someone at the club. Since when was it confirmed we did have a transfer kitty <cr>

They aren't in their last year. The comments from Walter were blown out of proportion by the rags last week. ALL players in every club with a year left on their contract are liable to be sold. Just look at Borat today going for €2m instead of nothing next year. Will the papers tomorrow be talking about a fire sale? Methinks not.

EDIT: I'll qualify that McCullouch is in his last year but probably will have no resale value regardless

Have you spoke to someone at the club. Since when was it confirmed we did have a transfer kitty <cr>

"We would love to go out and sign the Laudrups and the Gascoignes, but we can't do that.

We have come out of a difficult period - although we are not completely out of it yet - and we could be on an up curve as long as we don't create too much in terms of expectation

"In saying that, we have a certain amount of money to spend and now it's up to Walter and me to spend that money as wisely as we can.

"We have agreed with Lloyds that we can spend some of the Champions League income and we also hope to maintain wage levels as they currently stand and reinvest any transfer proceeds that we might have."

Martin Bain 26/5/2010