Best Ever - Seen And Unseen

legalbeagle

Been thinking about which players I have most enjoyed watching over the years, but then also the ones that i used to hear my dad and brother talking about from days before I was born or going to the football, so, was wondering if people have one players that they are most grateful to have seen playing for us, for whatever reason, and one that they missed out on and wish they had seen.

The first is tough but I do have to eventually pick the Prince of Denmark, every game watching him felt like a privilege. However I am certainly grateful that I did get to see Davie Cooper in the flesh, although I can only really remember one time which was a reserve game against Clydebank, apparently I did see him a few other times.

In terms of the one I wished I had seen it probably has to be my dad's hero Slim Jim, only ever heard my dad raving about everything about him, and wish I could have experienced it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Laudrup did wasn't football. It was akin to putting stars in the sky.

I've talked to people who think similarly about Baxter and/or Cooper. As a football club we have been blessed.

Looking forward to the next player who takes on that mantle.

No 1 has to be Baxter. Eric Caldow - probably the classiest left back until he had his leg broken at Wembley. Wish I had seen Jerry Dawson and Davie Meiklejohn. In my early days, Rangers supplied the entire left side of the Scotland team at one point.

Meiklejohn is a really good shout, the stuff I have read has him like a superman character.

Laudrup was a genius on a football pitch as was Cooper.

Gazza was a class above most.

Ally was a legend as a goal scorer.

In saying all that I always had great admiration for Alex MacDonald. Maybe not quite as good technically as the guys above but was at the heart of a great midfield in my opinion.

Part of the 1972 team and the two treble winning sides of the late 70s.

Always loved beating the tims

What more could you ask

Laudrup & Cooper were a joy to watch, particularly Davie who played in some really poor Rangers teams. He was the sole reason for going to many games back then tbh.

Missed Baxter by a few years but have been told by older/wiser bears that the familiar clips we have seen don't do him justice.

I've been fortunate enough to have seen Cooper, Gazza, Laudrup and not forgetting a young Durrant, all of them were majestic on any given day.

The ones I never saw, defo Baxter followed by wee Willie Henderson but I would loved to of seen giants like big Geordie young and captain cutlass in the flesh also.

Laudrup and Gazza for me

And although hes not a player I love Big Jock Wallace and would have loved to see his team or just have met the man. If it has to be a player then either Baxter or Willie Thornton or Willie Woodburn

Laudrup was a genius on a football pitch as was Cooper.

Gazza was a class above most.

Ally was a legend as a goal scorer.

In saying all that I always had great admiration for Alex MacDonald. Maybe not quite as good technically as the guys above but was at the heart of a great midfield in my opinion.

Part of the 1972 team and the two treble winning sides of the late 70s.

Always loved beating the tims

What more could you ask

Yeah spot on about Doddie, loved the man

Its a difficult one because there's so many , but I always have a soft spot for the first time I got to see the Rangers first team , and , at last , get to see guys I had pinned up on my bedroom wall , in the flesh.

Guys like Colin Stein , Willie Henderson , Willie Johnston , John Greig etc. They may not have had the attributes of the Gazzas and Laudrups of our history , but heroes to me nonetheless.

Also remember going to a reserve game v c....c where Jim Baxter was playing . Obviously nearing the end of his career , but just glad to see another true Rangers Legend.

Bit of UPI , he had a good record against them , and continued it that night , in a 1-1 draw up against a ' good ' c....c reserve team. Graham Fyfe scoring for us that night.

Edit. Shit forgot Part 2.

I'd heard so much of the Miller and Brand strike force of the early 60's along with Davie Wilson. Before my time but that team of that era would have been one I'd love to have seen.

Laudrup is a great shout, but I think I'll always see mols as the best player I have seen play for us, some of the stuff he done was simply sblime.

As for one I have not seen, Sandy Jardine. He finished up at Rangers when I was a one year old.

Seen Laudrup and Cooper.

Wish i'd seen Baxter...

I stood on the terracing at Wembley in 1967 with an old guy to the right of me in tears. Scotland were ripping the WORLD champions apart, and all this old guy could say, with tears streaming down his face "Jim, you're a prince, you are a prince Jim", LOL.

Without doubt, one of the greatest footballers I have even seen.

After his wee keepie uppie, just watch the lob to Law, totally awesome.

Best I've seen Cooper, Laudrup, Gazza, Stevens, Woods, Goram and even our bold gardener Ally.

Best I've never seen Morton, McPhail, Henderson, Baxter, Caldow (Eric even told himself how good he was :lol: ) Tiger Shaw, Shearer, Jerry Dawson the prince of goalies and many more I haven't mentioned. I will put Greig and Jardine in this bit as I was too young to really appreciate just how good they really were.

Loved Colin Stein, Ally, and many other great players but the one that excited me most was Gazza - sublime on the ball, entertaining, theatrical - he made things happen - he got the atmosphere going, as he interacted with the support and the away fans! There was never a dull moment with him about!