zonal marking

KingKirk

2 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I don't think it'd matter either way TBH.  Our defenders are plain and simple not good enough to attack a ball from a cross.

They are instructed to mark the space mate. I think its down to the gaffer to change to man to man and let the defender's take responsibility

9 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Are you sure we're doing zonal marking and it's not just that we're so shite at man marking that it looks zonal?

Sometimes we are but today we never against Peterhead and Hamilton we did at times.

9 hours ago, KingKirk said:

never been a fan of it and that seems to be the root cause of our inability to defend set plays. Sort it oot gaffer needs to become man for man.

Whoever jumps the highest and attacks the ball earliest will dominate at set plays. 

This man for man V zonal debate is just bullshit to fill airtime on Match of The Day.

8 hours ago, five stars said:

Last season we often used zonal marking.

But this season it's been mainly man marking.

We need the keeper to be willing to come of his line.

Beginning of last season Wes used to come for everything. I remember the chat on here about how good it was to have a commanding goalkeeper after the nightmare of Bell. Then he had a bad game where he flapped at a few crosses and that was the last we saw of that.

10 hours ago, KingKirk said:

They are instructed to mark the space mate. I think its down to the gaffer to change to man to man and let the defender's take responsibility

Which famous manager said:

'Space never scored a goal'?

On 13/08/2016 at 1:09 PM, KingKirk said:

never been a fan of it and that seems to be the root cause of our inability to defend set plays. Sort it oot gaffer needs to become man for man.

I’m not a fan of Zonal marking either as it relies upon collective responsibility. Where as, Man-for-man takes away the grey area of “ I thought so and so would do it” and players know what their responsibilities are. The Problems with zonal marking are …

• No individual responsibility 
  • Players can be Vulnerable to attackers getting the jump on them for the first goal  
  • Players can find themselves outnumbered in their zones 
  • Players can be over-matched with taller opponents attack their area 
  • Unmarked opponents can shoot from the edge of the box

Almost all English football teams use zonal marking but I think Scottish football is a different beastie, it's a more physical game and might suit man for man marking better.

20 hours ago, KingKirk said:

.... And you know this, how?

looked to be man marking to me but Barton didn't match the scorer's run 

I can kinda see where the OP is coming from saying zonal marking. I suspected it at the cup final too with the 2 late Hibs goals too when Halliday let the runner (the goalscorer) go into the box and into a different zone and our center back's being the clowns they are couldn't do their job either.

I'd like to think we wouldn't be stupid enough to have such a system but even the good managers like Warburton make decisions that baffle me from time-to-time.

14 minutes ago, Orangeclement said:

What annoyed me on Saturday was that Barton was left to mark their tallest man at the corner... Fucking basics don't put your smallest guy on the tallest not fucking rocket science

Late on in yesterday's game they swung in a corner and although one of our centre backs had their man covered closely, arms outstretched to prevent a run, the Dundee man still got a header in without even jumping. The defence has to not only learn to mark their men properly but also attack the ball when it comes into the box.