Big Jock's Second Treble

Tom0411

When big Jock won his second treble my Dad was the president of the wee Gers club and after the game my Dad, Mum, Bro and myself & wife and mate & his wife went to the club to celebrate. When we left we walked back to my Mum & Dad's in Drumoyne where we stayed the night. The next morning my Dad went along to the club to do his usual Sunday stocktaking and about 12:00 he phoned the house and told my bro, mate and I to get to the club asap and to walk there & not drive. When we got to the club it turned out that big Jock had agreed for the three trophies to be brought along to the club. Off went big Wallace Watson along to Ibrox to meet Derek Johnstone and bring the trophies to the club. Imagine Wallace walking along Edmiston Drive with one in each hand and Derek the other one. When they arrived as expected the place went mental & as much champagne as the club had was put into the trophies and everyone in the club had a sip from them. Could you imagine that happening now you would be charged a fiver just to have your picture taken. Unfortunately in those days there were no digital cameras or phone cameras so to the best of my knowledge not one picture was taken.

Big Jock a true legend always thinking of the fans & when fans came to the club from Canada, Ulster, Australia etc., and wanted to present their player of the year trophy my Dad used to phone Ibrox and arrange it. The conversation went along the lines of

Hi Jock

Hi Tommy what can I do for you?

I have some visitors wanting to present Jardine/Greig or whoever with their POTY.

OK fine how many do you want to come along with them

1 or 2 would be alright.

Invariably there would be about 5 or 6 of the team sent along to meet the fans.

The only rule was that if pictures were to be taken there would be no drink on any of the tables. As Jock used to say a glass of water in the press becomes a straight vodka, a coke is a large Bacardi & coke etc.

1 hour ago, Tom0411 said:

When big Jock won his second treble my Dad was the president of the wee Gers club and after the game my Dad, Mum, Bro and myself & wife and mate & his wife went to the club to celebrate. When we left we walked back to my Mum & Dad's in Drumoyne where we stayed the night. The next morning my Dad went along to the club to do his usual Sunday stocktaking and about 12:00 he phoned the house and told my bro, mate and I to get to the club asap and to walk there & not drive. When we got to the club it turned out that big Jock had agreed for the three trophies to be brought along to the club. Off went big Wallace Watson along to Ibrox to meet Derek Johnstone and bring the trophies to the club. Imagine Wallace walking along Edmiston Drive with one in each hand and Derek the other one. When they arrived as expected the place went mental & as much champagne as the club had was put into the trophies and everyone in the club had a sip from them. Could you imagine that happening now you would be charged a fiver just to have your picture taken. Unfortunately in those days there were no digital cameras or phone cameras so to the best of my knowledge not one picture was taken.

Big Jock a true legend always thinking of the fans & when fans came to the club from Canada, Ulster, Australia etc., and wanted to present their player of the year trophy my Dad used to phone Ibrox and arrange it. The conversation went along the lines of

Hi Jock

I have some visitors wanting to present Jardine/Greig or whoever with their POTY.

1 or 2 would be alright.

The only rule was that if pictures were to be taken there would be no drink on any of the tables. As Jock used to say a glass of water in the press becomes a straight vodka, a coke is a large Bacardi & coke etc.

The good old days mate .When players were appreciative of our fans and the fans appreciated the turn out .

For many reasons , this would never happen nowadays sadly

31 minutes ago, Tom0411 said:

Hi Jock

1 or 2 would be alright.

:tu:

Great post mate ...... Great manager and great team.

Changed days right enough ..... back then it was all word of mouth .... and stories like the one you describe in your post rarely reached outside the circles of those who attended and their friends.

Your last paragraph is so true .... and goes to show the awareness of JW and his knowledge of the scummy press .... who to this day will spin a story to suit their own agenda ..... and even try to disrespect a true treble winning successful team .... who won the treble playing and beating teams of similar strengths and budgets.

His and the team's achievement was even better ..... as it was their second treble in three years .... 1978 was definitely a good year for us mate ...... changed days right enough.

:UK: 

1 minute ago, Bobby Hume said:

:tu:

Great post mate ...... Great manager and great team.

Changed days right enough ..... back then it was all word of mouth .... and stories like the one you describe in your post rarely reached outside the circles of those who attended and their friends.

Your last paragraph is so true .... and goes to show the awareness of JW and his knowledge of the scummy press .... who to this day will spin a story to suit their own agenda ..... and even try to disrespect a true treble winning successful team .... who won the treble playing and beating teams of similar strengths and budgets.

His and the team's achievement was even better ..... as it was their second treble in three years .... 1978 was definitely a good year for us mate ...... changed days right enough.

:UK: 

Good post yourself mate

40 minutes ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Can we no refer to him as 'Big Jock' :lol: I cannae read it without adding 'Knew' onto the end. :lol: 

Too true mate - he should be referred to as Honest Jock - or sumin. But the words Big Jock you're expecting that fenian atrocity to appear.

And thank God we're not part of that fucking abuse.

My favourite Ranger. A great, great man. Didn't sell his "why I left Rangers" story to the press. Players nowadays, no matter how well paid, still grab every press shilling they can. Imagine if Jock Wallace caught a dressing room mole?

Had the honour of meeting big Jock Wallace at a supporters club function, there was a good half dozen first team players there as well as backroom guys like physio Tommy Craig, who was a relation of mine and when I told him that he insisted on introducing me to the great man. 

2 hours ago, Steakbake said:

Big Jock hated that mob with a passion- a true bear in every sense!

Thats nonsense mate, Jock never hated anyone or anything, he was a gentleman who loved beating them but respected his opponents. A truer Rangers man you would ever meet but was way above hating them.

4 hours ago, mrmojorisin said:

I am lucky enough and old enough  to remember both Jock Wallaces treble triumphs.

Theres only one Jock Wallace 

In 1983 Jock said "I've returned to Mecca"
Absolutely put on this earth to manage Rangers.
Cheers Big Stuff and the memories of a lifetime.

He is revered at at least 2 other clubs as a player as well as a manager, he was a more than decent keeper. He also holds a very unique record from his playing days. I wonder if some of the more mature forum members know what it is?

14 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

He is revered at at least 2 other clubs as a player as well as a manager, he was a more than decent keeper. He also holds a very unique record from his playing days. I wonder if some of the more mature forum members know what it is?

Is it relating to the Scottish, English and Welsh FA Cups? 

17 minutes ago, only14me said:

Is it relating to the Scottish, English and Welsh FA Cups? 

It is. He was known for his exploits in the English and Scottish cups. Seems Rangers fans have had problems related to Newcastle since 1964 at least.:happy:

Jock Wallace my favourite Rangers manager of all time by a country mile.  Followed us the season after he left as a youngster and remember the big man when he came back and we the fans were absolutely delighted.  

But with us limping along as a club and then Mr Holmes coming in and then Souness his days were always numbered second time around.

The day he turned up at Ibrox with his wife and was turned away made me ashamed to be a Ranger as he was Mr Rangers to me and the idiot who made the decision should have been sacked on the bloody spot. 

Lucky and honoured enough to sing his name as a child.