When the January window opens...

graeme_4

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see us doing much in January. Maybe 1 signing, 2 at a push if we try to get any of the expected pre-contract guys early for a small fee.

I don't expect any pre-contracts to be done until March/April time. It's become more rare that people sign pre-contracts as early as January.

By the time summer comes personally hope we avoid the likes of McLean & Walker. They'll be no more than squad options going forward. We need players in the first 11 as a priority, if we sort the first 11 the guys they replace become squad players and give us more depth anyway.

Pedro has a good eye for a player. Walker is a lazy choice for left wing imo, let Pedro and his team pick their own man. I'd sign Walker on a pre contract to boost the squad for buttons in the summer - gives us the option to move Windass on next summer as well. Could do the exact same with McLean for Holt as well if he falls back into the same mediocrity he's produced for the last two years. 

See how Herrera goes between now and January, depending on that bring Moult in.

31 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Left winger is a must, Windass puts a shift in but is wasteful and never creates anything. We could be doing with another CB to replace Cardoso as well

We have young McCrorie who hasn't looked out of place when making an appearance.

Thre first choice when looking for a player ALWAYS be "do we have a youth player capable of filling the position?" before we go to the transfer market.

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Why?

Miller played plenty before Pedro finally reacted and got dropped. Windass has been shite all season but continued to get picked. Mccrorie has arguably been better than Cardoso but seems to be 3rd choice CH. Pena has been so poor few would have argued about him being dropped (4 good goals aside ?).

Pedro seems to give his first pick players ages even when under performing and prefers a continuity over replacing under performers even where justified.

I think given the number of examples above it's a Pedro mindset thing rather than reflection on the abilities of those he's not giving a chance.

I think your wrong. He can't even get on the bench. Whilst other youngsters have Imo that says he isn't showing anything to Merritt this clamour to get him involved

18 minutes ago, Ace said:

We have young McCrorie who hasn't looked out of place when making an appearance.

Thre first choice when looking for a player ALWAYS be "do we have a youth player capable of filling the position?" before we go to the transfer market.

Yeah I'd be all for giving McCrorie a game over Cardoso, but if we want to close the gap and try compete again then we need more experienced, quality players

Cardoso needs dropped asap though, fed up of saying it, his stupid fouls he gives away are embarrassing, he's actually not any better than Kiernan, people are blinded by his transfer fee. 

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

I think your wrong. He can't even get on the bench. Whilst other youngsters have Imo that says he isn't showing anything to Merritt this clamour to get him involved

It's all about opinions.

I think Pedro is showing a stubbornness/loyalty/resistance to change his starting 11 more than anything.

Not sure how Hardie gets on in training, good or bad, but hatricks in a development game sounds like a heavy knock on a door from here.

McArthur, McLean, Walker, Morgan & Moult on ore contacts for starters, possibly try and get Walker in right away so we won't have to suffer with Windass as a starter for the rest of the season.

Tbh with January you need to see how the seasons going and how it could go before you do any transfers, if were relatively close with celtic then we should buy and strengthen but if we're in second "battling" it out with whatever team and not really coming close to celtic then hold off until the summer imo.

Yeah, left mid is weak with Windass. We need another Candeias type player on the left - a real grafter who works hard for the team with a wee bit of ability thrown in.

We need more players in all over as our bench is poor and we no have game changers sitting on the sidelines

10 hours ago, saltire266 said:

Said it before Moult,  Wiess and Thomas Sinkgraven . Quality players for the left and a good wee striker. Job done less than 6 million combined.

We dont have 6 million, Moult isnt quality or he wouldnt still be at Motherwell after he asked to leave and i hqve never heard if Thomas Sinkgraven

January is the panic window, no much value to be had, decent players aint gonna be let go mid season, hoping we'll see some imaginative pre contracts, players we dont know about, need first pick CB, left back, wouldn't be against signing Declan if its possible, right back, decent quality left mid, a combative central mid player who can tackle and pass in the McCall/Reyna mold would be a nice bonus

A lot of the names getting mentioned are, at best, only marginnally better than what we have. Ideally we need to set our ambitions higher. But ............... is there any serious money available???? 

When i think of any potential signing I picture him running out at the Stade de Gadd. If it worries me or underwhelms me then it's a no. But again, is there the money???? 

I think Miller could get another club and would fancy getting time to play, if his relationship with Pedro is what we think I highly doubt he will be offered a coaching role in the club so that means he has nothing to hang around for. I think Nico knows he will prob never get a game again and he still has a bit of a reputation as a player so I would expect him to fancy his finishing playing days spent somewhere warmer, somewhere like Qatar or even the USA.

45 minutes ago, bluchoo said:

We dont have 6 million, Moult isnt quality or he wouldnt still be at Motherwell after he asked to leave and i hqve never heard if Thomas Sinkgraven

If we dont have 6 million we might aswell give up now.Its fuck all in football terms ! Better go watch Thomas so you do know about him.Plays for Ajax miles better than what we have

41 minutes ago, saltire266 said:

If we dont have 6 million we might aswell give up now.Its fuck all in football terms ! Better go watch Thomas so you do know about him.Plays for Ajax miles better than what we have

do you mean Daley Sinkgraven? signed for about 7m euros but not really featured much?