Ally Maxwell: was he any good?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, lewislaudrup said:

Did he no make two massive mistakes against them at Ibrox? Got beat 2-1 sure he came for crosses on both and fucked it. 

Sure he was also the keeper when we got beat either 3-2 or 4-3 back in the early 90's to a team like Falkirk. 

I was fairly young so details are sketchy, just remember thinking he wasn't very good!

14 hours ago, MisterC said:

Not at all, I am being serious. Only the Goalie, Woods, and Shagger are above him in my book. 

He was rotten keeper playing behind a fantastic defense . And he got me tickets for the 94 cup final , in which he cost us a treble with another howler .

Kloss and Watereus .. were much better and that is only 2 off the top of my head 

59 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Sure he was also the keeper when we got beat either 3-2 or 4-3 back in the early 90's to a team like Falkirk. 

I was fairly young so details are sketchy, just remember thinking he wasn't very good!

Was he no in goals in the week we got beat from them falkirk and aek.

Edit. No he wasnt

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Pretty sure it was 4-3 we got beat by Dundee but memory might be going a bit as well

8 hours ago, cogsy69uk said:

Was never the same after that mix up that lost us the 94 final, seemed to make a series of errors including another at Tynecastle that sticks in my mind. Think everyone was glad when Goram got fit again and took the No1 jersey back!

Sold two goals against the tarriers at ibrox as well

A steady, more journeyman like goalkeeper than a top goalkeeper for me. He came to us at a time where we needed a decent back up to Goram who was suffering his knee problems at the time. He did have his 'lapses of concentration' at times, but was overall decent for us unlike Snelders who was also bought as a back up, if memory serves me right, he engineered his move to us, much to the delight of the Aberdeen fans. My memory of him was bottling it at Parkhead,   Goram's injured, Snelders is in the team, he bottles it in the dressing room and Walter has to send for Goram who was sitting in the stand.

I think one of the problems we have when discussing Rangers goalkeepers,  is that we have been spoiled over the years with great goalkeepers, and expect everyone of them to match up to  Goram, Klos, Woods, McGregor etc.   granted we've had a few duds too. We had at one point 3  international goalkeepers on our books , Klos,  (ok, at u/23 level),  Charbonnier, and Niemi. I liked Charbonnier, probably because he had that Gallic mentalness about him.

Everyone will have their own favourite for varying reasons, mine being in my avatar, Billy Ritchie, not the best gk I have seen in a Rangers jersey, certainly not the worst, but he was our goalkeeper when I was growing up and I thought he was great, Green Citizen pics on the wall!

As for Maxwell, he was decent, did a job, but, in my opinion, not in the same league as the ones mentioned above.

3 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Dundee. I'm sure that was the one. Remember it being a team we wouldn't normally think about beating us. 

Pretty sure that dick Stainrod scored for them who also played for Falkirk which is why a few folk thought it was them

Was kinda average as I remember.

On a separate note, I mind at one time when our 3 keepers were Klos, Charbonnier (who was France number 2 behind Barthez at time) and Antti Niemi.

round about the time we played Parma in Advocaat era.

Mental strength in depth for that position.

Archived