Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easier to say who should stay really...kent,barasic,Jack,greegs,aribo.

wouldnt lose any sleep if we sold anyone not on the list tbh.

midfield needs to be looked at big time it’s our weak point imo.

need a attacking right winger/mid who scores

need a midfield who scores and can shoot from outside box.

back up left back and replacement for tav but that won’t happen.

a solid dominant c.b but that won’t happen.

couple strikers and one like jelavic would be nice.

not asking a lot then am I.

Morelos is real quality but if we get a really good offer for him it would be wiser spent improving us all over the pitch.

Still think we have a real issue in central midfield of a solid player who can add goals and perform defensive duties we seem to have one or the other at the moment. Hagi for me is a must buy.

All players that are out on loan that haven't made the break through under Gerrard yet so Docherty Murphy etc

I also think Tav and morelos will go

What I think we need

2 CM so hagi and one more

1 CB

1RW

1CF

5new first team players no projects 

We could get rid of about a dozen today and most wouldn't even notice they were away. Thankfully a good few contracts are up - Foderingham, Alnwick, Holt, Rossiter, Halliday (hopefully), Flanagan (hopefully), Ojo, Kamberi etc. Be nice to get rid of all the waste of places shite we've stacked up like Barker, Hastie, Jones, Docherty as well. They offer fuck all to us.

Wilson has a massive job on his hands this summer.

Ideally we'd bring in QUALITY for a change. In a perfect world a couple midfielders to move Davis and another to the bench regularly, a reliable striker and we'll need another wide forward probably. No more pish young unproven loans either. They cost us games every season under Gerrard thanks to ending up with fuck all depth. No more buying players specifically to come in and be back ups either like we've done for too long now. We need players capable of actually putting the current team onto the bench, otherwise what the actual fuck is the point? 

I fear there are too many players terrified of the pressure in our team given the captain in the programme, Kent away to braga and Halliday in the RTV video.

Ten things I either see or want to see happening

- Sign Hagi

- Sign a tough but skilful midfielder that allows Hagi & Aribo to shine.

- Sign a proper right-winger, not someone who shoe-horns the position.

- As controversial as it will become, release Tav of captaincy duties. I'm not sure who replaces the armband.

-Youth will struggle to find game time as stopping 10 is all that matters.

- Davis and Defoe are finished. They should never have been extended contracts (Defoe to coaching staff). This will be a problem.

- Sell Kamara

- Keep Morelos for one more year until his value increases again.

- Would rather have Kamberi over Dykes.

- We may need to address another goalkeeper. McGregor can't play at a top level forever.

10 minutes ago, gmcf said:

We need a winner in the middle of the park that doesnt mess about - someone of the ilk of Kevin Thomson or an Ian Ferguson . 

Yep, so many games we are lacking a physical presence in midfield. If Jack is injured there's pretty much no one to fill that void.

I think we have to adjust the 4-3-3 a bit to accommodate Hagi as a No.10 so that it's more like 4-2-3-1. 

Main positions to strengthen are a defensive midfield, a right winger, a striker and a right back to compete with Tav or replace him if sold. Obviously will need two strikers in if Morelos is sold.

Don't really expect many people to agree with me but :

Foderingham - if he want's to maintain terms and stay our number two as back-up, I'd be OK with that - but I think he's out of contract and wants first team football?
Taverneir - cash in.
Halliday - let his contract expire and say bye.
Holt - let his contract expire and say bye.
Flanagan - year extension on cheap terms as a squad back-up.
Polster - if his contract isn't expiring, then a squad back-up.
Docherty - sell. Try and get 500k or something for him. Awful footballer. 
Rossiter - let his contract expire and say bye.
Murphy - I still quite like him. I'd give him until December to see what he's got to offer again now he's fit and had first team football on loan.
Jack - will be an unpopular opinion but if we can sell him for good money and use it to reinvest we should do it.
Kamara - cash in. I'm not sure how serious the 10-11 million transfer target rumours were but I'd be looking to cash in. He's good in European away games with time and space, but domestically he's murder.
Arfield - if he chucks international football and get's his energy levels/legs back, I'd look at a year extension but not on the high wages he's currently on.
Hagi - If we've got 4-million to spend in this environment then go for it, but I'd like to see us come together with his parent club maybe try for another years loan with the first-option purchase clause maintained for next summer.
Morelos - I love him and I think he's essential to our team (when he's on form and not suspended) but 20-million and he needs to go.
Firth - Meh, he's a 3rd choice goalkeeper. Someone has to do it, might aswell be him.
Barker - try and loan him out somewhere and claw back some of the reported 7-10k a week we waste on him.
Hastie - likewise Barker. Never rated him even at Motherwell tbh. He's young enough and could still have a career elsewhere. Try get him fixed up elsewhere.
Mccorie - I'd like to see him back and in our squad.
Kent - really like him even if others are on his back. He's talented. We need to be patient with him but I agree he needs to get more involved in some games,
Baraisic - similar to Kent above.
McGregor - our goalkeeper and deserved first choice. Nothing really more needs said. 

Don't really know where I stand on Goldson and Aribo tbh. They are rated by Gerrard, they're first picks. Pointless selling them I don't think we'd get that much to make it worthwhile and both of them do add something to us (when Aribo isn't hiding and Goldson isn't giving the ball away)

I like Helander. He's slow but I think he's a clever defender. Good in the tackle and does the basics well.

Katic is a good defender in my eyes (I know others disagree, which is fine) but I think sometimes he strolls it, sometimes he looks like he struggles but overall he's good. Good goal return for a defender too.

I'm not sure what Davis and Defoe are on wage-wise. I appreciate they've obviously took wage drops so it depends on how much by, but I'm nervous they're on far too much for what they actually offer us. I don't dislike them, I'd rather have them than not but it's a weigh-up case of knowing what they are on and what they give us.

Guys like Jones, Edmundson, Kamberi and Stewart I don't really rate too highly. They're OK - but it's a squad game - we need guys like that in our squad. No issue there. I think they are a much higher standard of squad player than the likes of O'Halloran, Dodoo, Forrester etc in previous seasons. So it's progress there.

The young players I can't really say tbh. I watched them a lot last/this season (however you want to put it) .... there's some good players but it's too early to tell if they can make the step-up or will adapt or whatever else. I'll leave that to others.

I think what we need ;

A new right-back but it won't be as easy as just getting a new right-back. For all I don't rate Tav, our style of play revolves around him and revolves around an attacking right-back. When there's someone defensive minded in there our whole teams looks lost. I think it will be a tough ask replacing Tav, not because he's great, but because we need someone who's an attacking right-back and fits our style of play and within our budgets. Might not be possible.

A physical presence upfront. This is why I wouldn't be unhappy with Dykes. Again, he's not a great player but can bully defences as opposed to Defoe who easily get's snuffed out in tight games upfront himself. Guaranteed if Dykes was playing upfront in the 3 games at Tynecastle this season, things might have been much different. We need that option in our squad.

Two new central midfielders. I've said before on here that Davis, Jack, Kamara, Aribo on their day and in their comfort zones can be fine and look decent enough, but they've not got the grit and steel (and for a couple of them) the goal threat too. I know Aribo has scored a few for us, but successful teams years gone past we'd have Laudrup, Albertz, Gascoigne, Barry Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst chipping in with a dozen to 15 goals a season each to supplement things. This is vital. We don't get that with our midfield. Seriously needs addressed. Might not be cheap, but needs done. ASAP.

7 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Ten things I either see or want to see happening

- Sign Hagi

- Sign a tough but skilful midfielder that allows Hagi & Aribo to shine.

- Sign a proper right-winger, not someone who shoe-horns the position.

- As controversial as it will become, release Tav of captaincy duties. I'm not sure who replaces the armband.

-Youth will struggle to find game time as stopping 10 is all that matters.

- Davis and Defoe are finished. They should never have been extended contracts (Defoe to coaching staff). This will be a problem.

- Sell Kamara

- Keep Morelos for one more year until his value increases again.

- Would rather have Kamberi over Dykes.

- We may need to address another goalkeeper. McGregor can't play at a top level forever.

Agreed other than with Morelos, he needs to go this summer in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, The Monk said:

Yep, so many games we are lacking a physical presence in midfield. If Jack is injured there's pretty much no one to fill that void.

I think we have to adjust the 4-3-3 a bit to accommodate Hagi as a No.10 so that it's more like 4-2-3-1. 

Main positions to strengthen are a defensive midfield, a right winger, a striker and a right back to compete with Tav or replace him if sold. Obviously will need two strikers in if Morelos is sold.

Yeah , I think a lot will depend if Morelos gets sold and what we'll get for him . 

As much as I like Hagi , I'm not sure he's a luxury we can afford . £5M will be a big dent out our budget when there's much work needed in the middle of the park . Hopefully the club can come up with something , but , for me , there are more pressing priorities to sort out .

42 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

We could get rid of about a dozen today and most wouldn't even notice they were away. Thankfully a good few contracts are up - Foderingham, Alnwick, Holt, Rossiter, Halliday (hopefully), Flanagan (hopefully), Ojo, Kamberi etc. Be nice to get rid of all the waste of places shite we've stacked up like Barker, Hastie, Jones, Docherty as well. They offer fuck all to us.

Wilson has a massive job on his hands this summer.

Ideally we'd bring in QUALITY for a change. In a perfect world a couple midfielders to move Davis and another to the bench regularly, a reliable striker and we'll need another wide forward probably. No more pish young unproven loans either. They cost us games every season under Gerrard thanks to ending up with fuck all depth. No more buying players specifically to come in and be back ups either like we've done for too long now. We need players capable of actually putting the current team onto the bench, otherwise what the actual fuck is the point? 

I fear there are too many players terrified of the pressure in our team given the captain in the programme, Kent away to braga and Halliday in the RTV video.

Correct if davis isn’t on bench next season we won’t win fuck all.

Archived