Laudrup or Gazza?

dee9

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gazza, just wonder how much better he would have been if he chose to live a squeaky clean life like so many other players. 

Its honestly hard to imagine he could have been better.

Not taking anything away from Laudrup, he was amazing. Just think Gazza edges it.

I’m some ways I don’t like comparing them as they are both legends but different types of players. In terms of a player who could drag you out of a hole, or change a game in an instant I would say Gazza. The best example is the Hearts cup final when he dragged us over the finish line after doing shots at half time! But there are countless games where we were toiling and he produced a moment of genius. 

Peak Gazza was genuine world class (i.e. can argue a case to get in a world 11). 

Laudrup contributed more IMO, was more consistent and a model professional - albeit a level below Gazza in ability. 

If we could pick one for our current team it would be Gazza. We’re crying out for creativity. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Peak Gazza was genuine world class (i.e. can argue a case to get in a world 11). 

Laudrup contributed more IMO, was more consistent and a model professional - albeit a level below Gazza in ability. 

If we could pick one for our current team it would be Gazza. We’re crying out for creativity. 

As I see it.

How we could do with a midfield player prepared to drive at a defence from deep positions like he did.  Had a heart for the battle, wouldn't be bullied and capable of winning any match with a moment of genius.

Laudrup wasn't half bad either.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

I loved Gazza but fuck me, Laudrup wasn't world class and was a level below Gazza in terms of ability?

Laudrup's issue if he had any was mentality. If he'd have had a bit of arrogance about him and desire to be the best he would have been a standout for any club in world football.

The answer to the OPs question is Gazza though, which for me is about Gazza's will to win rather than him having more ability than Laudrup.

2 hours ago, Swally said:

Gazza, just wonder how much better he would have been if he chose to live a squeaky clean life like so many other players. 

Its honestly hard to imagine he could have been better.

Not taking anything away from Laudrup, he was amazing. Just think Gazza edges it.

If Gazza was anything other than Gazza he’d of been bang average.  All geniuses in life are a little bit unhinged. 

Tough one!

Laudrup stepped up in the big games (away to the scum- 3 games spying to mind, 1 at Hampden and 2 during 9 in a row season plus the Laudrup cup final are all stand outs). Not to mention he scored the goal to clinch 9 in a row. However Gazza stepped up in the big games as well (scored twice against the scum in 2-0 wins, sheep 8 in a row game plus the Gazza-McCoist league cup final).

Gazza just shades it for me purely because I reckon he could win a game on his own. 👍🏻

Can’t be bothered starting another thread but listening to a lot of pods and watching a lot of old games and seasons on YouTube one thing stood out.

Apart from 92-93 the fact we clinched 9 in a row kind of masked the fact we will never have a better chance of competing in the Champions League and our European record was horrendous considering the money and players we had at our disposal.

Walter seemed to learn from his mistakes in 2008 on how to play in Europe. So one question would be if you could go back to the mid 90’s if you could change what would it be?

Get a more European minded manager?

Change the formation in Europe? Be more defensive but manage to keep Laudrup and Gazza in the team?

Archived