Formation going forward

GersInCanada

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Tbf have you seen our subs bench, sunday amateur teams would have struggled to use our bench on saturday, for the money we've spent it was horrendous 

In terms of attack options from the bench the only one we spent money on was Murphy, £1 million or so. Arfield, Barker and Stewart were all on a free. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously interested in seeing how this will play out. Alfie has been here before Gerrard, and was an obvious asset to him and us. Gerrard now has the chance to replace him with his own players and it seems like we will have a more dynamic, less reliant #9 and look to share goals across the team.

Exciting times. Really, really chuffed.

1 minute ago, King Jela said:

In terms of attack options from the bench the only one we spent money on was Murphy, £1 million or so. Arfield, Barker and Stewart were all on a free. 

So in a league where we spend more time attacking than defending, our sub defenders cost anything between 4-5mill, whereas our attacking options cost a million quid

I like how we have set up so far this season. I'd go for either 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2.

I like having a defensive midfielder as it protects the back four, allows Barisic and Tav to push on and allows the attacking midfielders more freedom. 

I'd rather see 2 up more, especially against poorer teams at home. Against them, away and against some better sides I'd prefer dominating the midfield with 2 defensive with ability to change it off the bench if we are a goal or two up. If you take Kent or Hagi out we are still very light on creativity.  

59 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

It’s a 4-3-3. 

New signings will be signed to / have to fit into it. 

Think there will be more focus on the central striker playing more like Firminho. Dropping in and allowing the ‘two 10s’ to get beyond. 

Roofe is perfect for that role. Might actually have some competition for the front 3 now. 

Been saying this for a while. Need to spread the load in terms of goals.

Assuming Morelos goes, you’ll have Itten, Roofe, Kent and Hagi chasing three interchangeable forward positions. With Europa League and a condensed season, we’ll need to rotate wisely.

Another positive is that guys like Jones, Stewart etc will never wear the jersey again.

Jack or Kamara sitting in front of the centre-backs, Aribo plus another midfielder (the role that Zungu was meant to fill) in front of Jack, both full backs pressing on and three mobile, fluid forwards.

Identical to the Liverpool model.

That will do for me

:UK:

17 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So in a league where we spend more time attacking than defending, our sub defenders cost anything between 4-5mill, whereas our attacking options cost a million quid

Heard plenty managers saying you build from the back.

We've not had sufficient options upfront, but getting them also shouldn't have been at the expense of securing the defence,  which needed to be done. We simply wouldn't have had the defensive goals against record, or the results we did in europe, with the likes of David fucking Bates as a centre half.

Our attack has been Morelos or nothing and that's wrong. Our whole system has been built around him and when he's off form, or suspended we're fucked as no one else is capable of playing his way effectively. Id fully agree with criticism of Gerrard for not having the squad drilled in a 2nd system for when that's the case.

But its only from returns in goals / assists for Alfie in the system he excels that we can now command the £20m to be able to spend the money on what im sure will be replacements rather than alternatives options to him.

Without an endless pot of money, I think we've spent well on the whole and its got us to this position where when he's sold we'll have more strength and options both up front and defensively. I dont know if that would be the case as we'd have failed on the European stage without our current defence, and his stock wouldn't be so high.

Our success in the freebie and loan market however has been pretty awful though.

6 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Heard plenty managers saying you build from the back.

We've not had sufficient options upfront, but getting them also shouldn't have been at the expense of securing the defence,  which needed to be done. We simply wouldn't have had the defensive goals against record, or the results we did in europe, with the likes of David fucking Bates as a centre half.

Our attack has been Morelos or nothing and that's wrong. Our whole system has been built around him and when he's off form, or suspended we're fucked as no one else is capable of playing his way effectively. Id fully agree with criticism of Gerrard for not having the squad drilled in a 2nd system for when that's the case.

But its only from returns in goals / assists for Alfie in the system he excels that we can now command the £20m to be able to spend the money on what im sure will be replacements rather than alternatives options to him.

Without an endless pot of money, I think we've spent well on the whole and its got us to this position where when he's sold we'll have more strength and options both up front and defensively. I dont know if that would be the case as we'd have failed on the European stage without our current defence, and his stock wouldn't be so high.

Our success in the freebie and loan market however has been pretty awful though.

Jack ,Aribo, Arfield possibly Balogan for free. Defoe and Kent on loan have done a turn.

Then throw in Kamara for 50 Grand think we have done not bad in those markets.

3 minutes ago, billythebear1986 said:

Jack ,Aribo, Arfield possibly Balogan for free. Defoe and Kent on loan have done a turn.

Then throw in Kamara for 50 Grand think we have done not bad in those markets.

Yes but I was meaning comparatively to when we spend on fees. Theres definitely successes in there, but there been far too many wages wasted on those who contributed fuck all.

Squad is looking pretty good now:

GK: McGregor / McLaughlin 

RB: Tav / Paterson 

LB: Barisic / Bassey

CB1: Goldson / Edmundson / Mayo

CB2: Balogun / Helander / Katic (injured)

CM1: Aribo / Arfield 

CM2: Jack / ???

CM3: Kamara / Davis

AM.1: Hagi / Roofe

AM2: Kent / Barker?

CF: Morelos / Itten / Defoe (injured)

The rest can go really and you’d never know; Firth, Doherty, Jones, Stewart, McCrorie, Murphy, Middleton

Box to box CM and another ‘10’ and I’d be delighted with our business, particularly if we get rid of some of the garbage.

Think it’ll stay as a 433 Roofe main starter with Itten potentially giving us a plan B could maybe see Itten playing more in away games perhaps with teams sitting deep in tight pitches he will be a threat from long balls & set pieces good thing with roofe as well he can fill in those No.10 spots if we shuffle the pack 

I do wonder whether Gerrard prefers Murphy to Barker. I feel both could have a part to play and, if his pre-season form is anything to go by, Barker could do a job as a 60min sub against defensive but tiring teams with direct running and pace. The squad is definitely looking more healthy and far more flexible. Although we've played 433, we've rarely played it correctly with Morelos as we've tended to use him as a target man (a situation that is exacerbated when Morelos is out and we are playing with a non-target man striker like Defoe) to hold up the ball rather than a central pivot for attacking interplay in and around the box. These new signings will enable us to play the formation with the variety and fluidity it requires, with or without Morelos.

26 minutes ago, writingranger said:

I do wonder whether Gerrard prefers Murphy to Barker. I feel both could have a part to play and, if his pre-season form is anything to go by, Barker could do a job as a 60min sub against defensive but tiring teams with direct running and pace. The squad is definitely looking more healthy and far more flexible. Although we've played 433, we've rarely played it correctly with Morelos as we've tended to use him as a target man (a situation that is exacerbated when Morelos is out and we are playing with a non-target man striker like Defoe) to hold up the ball rather than a central pivot for attacking interplay in and around the box. These new signings will enable us to play the formation with the variety and fluidity it requires, with or without Morelos.

Murphy is pish. So is Barker. Neither should have a part to play this year if we’re serious about trophies. 

Suspect Barker might get a bit part role given he’s meant to be brilliant in training. 

4 hours ago, ChampionsAgain said:

As it stands, this is our best team - 

Mcgregor 

Tav Goldson Balogun Barisic

Jack Aribo 

Roofe Hagi Kent 

Morelos 

Dropping one of the sitting midfielders at home/ smaller away games is absolutely vital for me. That team would tear teams to shreds. 

We dont have "sitting" midfielders...

Jack or Davis usually play as the deepest of our midfield as they have the engine and passing ability to get us going from the back, not because of their ability to defend or sit in.

Far too many people are of the mindset that having a deep lying midfielder, or even 2, is defensive when if you look at the top bracket players that play in those positions, although they can defend, the spend very little of their time defending. In fact most of the top teams are in a similar position to us (facing 9/10/11 behind the ball trying to frustrate them).

Archived