Let's keep things in perspective

RFCRobertson

Like the rest of you, i'm pissed off, confused and pretty disappointed after tonight's result. Should've been out of sight, easily 3+ goals in the first halve alone. 

But we need to look at the bigger picture here. 

Firstly; there is always going to be losses and draws. We can't help that, the teams going to have bad days, be complacent and worse get cocky. But a loss is something that happens to every team, regardless of stature or quality. 

Secondly, It hasn't affected the table that much. We're still in the lead by 11 points with a game in hand. The league is still very much in our favor. and there's only 7 games to go.

Thirdly, It's a wake up call for a lot of people. We're a very good side, to the point that we can dominate a spl team. But we're not always going to have that. We'll have off days, and that ain't a bad thing. Because you can learn more from a loss than a win. So this if anything will call into question our subs, our attack, our defense and our players attitudes following an early lead. They need to keep their head. It's not over till the final whistle. Our late wins have proven that. 

Like I said at the start, I'm pretty gutted. Especially since I've read that my favorite player a bit to do with it. but all we can do is take it in our stride, the team can learn from it and we can come out of it a better side. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most disappointing aspect to me is the first half is as good as we have looked all season. The quality of passing and moving was outstanding. This was then followed by the worst we have played all season in the second half. I just cant understand how the players let their performance drop so badly.

I do agree though its not the end of the world. Hopefully this gives them all a shake and we kick on and tie up the league asap. Thats a half decent falkirk team who i think deserve second place cant say anything else about them cause i hate houston.

Like I said on the game thread , it's a wake up call , that you may be strolling it , but until the final whistle goes , it means nothing. 

Im sure there'll be a lot of angry players in that dressing room that will have learned a lesson tonite . 

9 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

The most disappointing aspect to me is the first half is as good as we have looked all season. The quality of passing and moving was outstanding. This was then followed by the worst we have played all season in the second half. I just cant understand how the players let their performance drop so badly.

I do agree though its not the end of the world. Hopefully this gives them all a shake and we kick on and tie up the league asap. Thats a half decent falkirk team who i think deserve second place cant say anything else about them cause i hate houston.

I'd agree with your point about some of the best we've played, but I'd say it stopped midway through the first half, 30 mins tops.

Not sure if we blew ourselves out in what was a pretty whirlwind start, but it then became possession without purpose for long spells, where players also started hanging on too long before releasing the ball (Holt, I thought, was poor), meaning we had more offsides against us than I recall in a long time, thus stopping our flow.

31 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Like the rest of you, i'm pissed off, confused and pretty disappointed after tonight's result. Should've been out of sight, easily 3+ goals in the first halve alone. 

Firstly; there is always going to be losses and draws. We can't help that, the teams going to have bad days, be complacent and worse get cocky. But a loss is something that happens to every team, regardless of stature or quality. 

Secondly, It hasn't affected the table that much. We're still in the lead by 11 points with a game in hand. The league is still very much in our favor. and there's only 7 games to go.

Thirdly, It's a wake up call for a lot of people. We're a very good side, to the point that we can dominate a spl team. But we're not always going to have that. We'll have off days, and that ain't a bad thing. Because you can learn more from a loss than a win. So this if anything will call into question our subs, our attack, our defense and our players attitudes following an early lead. They need to keep their head. It's not over till the final whistle. Our late wins have proven that. 

Like I said at the start, I'm pretty gutted. Especially since I've read that my favorite player a bit to do with it. but all we can do is take it in our stride, the team can learn from it and we can come out of it a better side. 

Great post mate, got to step from the problem into the solution. Good point you made about sometimes learning more from a defeat than a win. A reality check does no harm, it has actually grounded me as a supporter tonight. Like alot of folk, I was getting carried away aswell, and with that type of thinking sometimes we can be setting ourselves up to fail. I'm sure we will bounce back next week.

Like I said in my thread earlier,  in the grand scheme of things this loss will probably mean nothing.  We will almost certainly stil go on and win the league comfortably.

The manner of our defeat tonight was shocking though,  I think that's where most of the anger is coming from. 

One positive thing it is a kick in the studds for Stubbs and the spoon burners. Rangers will win this league comfortably yes tonight was a sore one but lets grasp reality please. Warburton needs to kick some arses. Ps taking off McKay was an error the magic hat is not above criticism. 

8 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Like I said in my thread earlier,  in the grand scheme of things this loss will probably mean nothing.  We will almost certainly stil go on and win the league comfortably.

The manner of our defeat tonight was shocking though,  I think that's where most of the anger is coming from. 

Correct.

And we will get over the line, without doubt.

So the next few weeks include build ups to the final & cup semi.

In which context, I suppose the lesson from tonight is - don't burn yourselves out in the first 25 minutes.

7 minutes ago, centenarystand said:

What angers me was that clown in the stand spying on us would have been shitting his pants after an hour but at full time he would have been satisfied by what he saw overall. We really showed our weaknesses tonight.

Dead on.

49 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't the same mistakes we were supposed to have learned from months ago. As an attacking team we are always going to be open at the back but most of our goals conceded are from basic mistakes, cross balls or not closing down quickly on the edge of the box rather than the opposition counter attacking. I couldn't believe how sloppy we were in that second half and how the players didn't wake up after the first few chances Falkirk had. 

2 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't the same mistakes we were supposed to have learned from months ago. As an attacking team we are always going to be open at the back but most of our goals conceded are from basic mistakes, cross balls or not closing down quickly on the edge of the box rather than the opposition counter attacking. I couldn't believe how sloppy we were in that second half and how the players didn't wake up after the first few chances Falkirk had. 

Exactly.

The stats have us 1 ahead on shots on target, but I only recall their keeper making one decent save.

I thought Wes made 4 or 5 good ones (where he was extended, at least) in addition to the goals.

11 minutes ago, centenarystand said:

What angers me was that clown in the stand spying on us would have been shitting his pants after an hour but at full time he would have been satisfied by what he saw overall. We really showed our weaknesses tonight.

Aye he certainly saw our weak spots, I think our change in fortunes was not only down to bad mistakes that we made but the change in tatics made by Houston,  Deila will have clocked that.

58 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Good post mate, while I'm as upset as the next bear, I'll reserve my judgment for the next couple of games, punters are understandably upset by tonight's events and angry for the team losing a two goal lead, and justifiably so, but let's remember this is still a young team made up of players who couldn't command a regular first team position and who are now playing for a major club, maybe they were guilty of believing the hype of the last couple of weeks and after going 2-0 up inside eight tonight believed that they could then take the foot of the pedal and cruise for the rest of the game, well now they know better, and I know folk will say it's not the first time this season it has happened but let's try to remember that they are still learning what it takes to be playing for a club like the size of The Rangers, they will not be allowed many more mistakes like this and I would like to think this is a defining moment where they are made to realize that if you want to continue to play for this club attitudes like tonight cease.

The next couple of games will tell us a lot about the character of these players.

Wee stat for the perspective:

First time we've let 3 in in the league this season.

No doubt some will say 'you can't go through a season without letting 3 in'.

I'd have thought championship contenders might have higher expectations......

I'm more disappointed with the passing from the defence and the midfield. Too often passes were going from Kiernan and Wilson to the midfield who then passed them straight back to where they came from, short and with Falkirk players closing them down, they were then passing back to Foderingham who was forced to make rash clearances.

The movement into open area's was terrible in the second half, it was like a different team came on after 30 minutes.

But as has been said, as long as we learn by this kick up the arse, no harm is done.

The very fact a number of people are becoming so despondent about this result is in fact striking evidence of how far we have come in a year.  Who at this time last year would have been so despondent/shocked over a narrow 1 goal loss away to one of the title challengers?  It is disappointing that this game should have been completely wrapped up inside the first half hour but it was just one of those nights and overall we have very few of them.

The title is still a formality and this result may actually have a bright side in that the manager will grasp the opportunity to drive it home to them that you just cannot turn off after taking a comfortable lead.  The team will continue on in their normal winning ways.  The title will be wrapped up in the next few weeks and far from placing any pressure on us the big losers tonight were not Rangers but Hibs.

Hibs will now find themselves in an almighty struggle with Falkirk to take that second place and I'm pretty confident Hibs would have preferred a Rangers victory in this match.  Falkirks recent form has been superior to that of Hibs and even if Hibs do ultimately take second spot they're almost certainly still going to have a play off against Falkirk to deal with.  Rather them than us.

2 hours ago, theclothmonster said:

I agree. 

If we've learned something for the Petrofac final and the semi , it's a price worth paying. 

4 hours ago, centenarystand said:

What angersplace to help Tav.nme was that clown in the stand spying on us would have beeurem shitting his pants after an hour  but at full time he would have been satisfied by what he saw overall. We really showed our weaknesses tonight.

I would expect him to put Armstrong or Makil smith Out wide and run at Tav for an hour the bring on Forrest to do the same after him watching last night, IM sure a doubling up job will need to be put IN place to help Tav, other than that we just need to stay focused and clear lines and play as the unit we know can play and defend from the front.

If we are going to take a loss and get up a wake up call- this was probably the perfect game to do it in.

The result sets Hibs a more difficult challenge. It gives our squad and specific players a reality check. Warbs is going to expect a reaction from his players. He has stood by them, nurtured them and developed them- giving them huge career opportunities- he was let down badly last night- and they owe him big time. Bring on Celtic- I really don't care that Delia was there- it's all about Rangers at the end of the day. There will be no complacency now within our squad. 

6 hours ago, centenarystand said:

I'd much rather he sees a loss and takes the semi for a formality for his pishy side mate.  Last nights game will have no bearing on the league title or the semi final

1 hour ago, piperpete said:

I would expect him to put Armstrong or Makil smith Out wide and run at Tav for an hour the bring on Forrest to do the same after him watching last night, IM sure a doubling up job will need to be put IN place to help Tav, other than that we just need to stay focused and clear lines and play as the unit we know can play and defend from the front.

This tactic will only work if they can keep possession more than us. That mackaysteven is more inconsistent than our templeton.

nothing to fear from Celtic. They'll play for set peices