Ferguson and McGregor dropped from Scotland team

fraser77

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: Today

rigTeaserImage

BARRY FERGUSON could have played his last game for Scotland — after being axed by George Burley last night.

Skipper Ferguson and his Rangers team-mate Allan McGregor were booted out after an early-morning bevvy session on Sunday.

SunSport can reveal boss Burley has binned the pair for tonight’s do-or-die World Cup crunch against Iceland at Hampden.

Ferguson, 31, and McGregor, 27, joined team-mates for drinks at posh Cameron House Hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond early on Sunday.

Burley sanctioned the post-match bonding session, but was left in a rage when it carried on for several HOURS. It’s believed he has spent the last 48 hours pondering a punishment for the Ibrox duo.

Ferguson’s sensational axeing casts huge doubts over his future with Scotland.

He has played just once for Burley in the last 14 months and, despite winning 45 caps, he has never won over the Tartan Army.

McGregor, who will be replaced between the sticks by Craig Gordon, has won only four caps.

The SFA refused to comment on the boozing claims last night, although chief executive Gordon Smith will come under pressure to make a statement today.

Burley will also have to address the incident after tonight’s must-win clash.

But it is the biggest gamble of his managerial career.

Burley will now rip apart the side which plunged to defeat in Holland.

Alan Hutton will replace the crocked Graham Alexander at right-back, while West Brom’s James Morrison will take Ferguson’s place in midfield.

Fit-again Stephen McManus will replace Christophe Berra and also be handed the captain’s armband in Ferguson’s absence.

Steven Fletcher is expected to take Gary Teale’s place.

Before the sensational row blew up last night, Burley insisted he would not be scared to axe any of his top stars.

He said: “It’s a one-off game, a cup final for us, and I’ll pick a one-off team to win the match.

“These are going to be key decisions, big decisions.

“I’m not going to speak about individuals, but every position is under consideration. I’ll speak to the players in the morning.

“I had to make hard decisions when we faced Iceland in Reykjavik, but I picked the team that was right and I had no regrets. I will have no regrets this time either. I will back my own judgement. It will simply be what I think will be the best team to win.

“As a manager, you can’t please everybody.”

The absence of Ferguson — and the circumstances surrounding his exit — will cause most controversy.

Advertisement

First capped more than a decade ago, his dreams of a place in the SFA Hall of Fame — and playing at a major finals — may now go unfulfilled. He has been capped by FIVE different Scotland bosses — Craig Brown, Berti Vogts, Walter Smith, Alex McLeish and Burley.

He’s also won every domestic honour in Scotland, led Gers into the UEFA Cup Final and twice been honoured as Player of the Year.

It’s unclear what the future holds for Ferguson with regard to Scotland as Burley's own job could depend on tonight's result.

Defeat or a draw against Iceland would almost certainly end hopes of qualifying for the World Cup Finals in South Africa next summer.

SFA chief executive Smith and president George Peat handed the ex-Hearts gaffer the national team job until the end of the qualifying campaign.

But if it comes to a premature end this evening, it's certain to prompt calls for the gaffer’s head after just nine matches in charge.

And any future Scotland boss would then have to decide whether to bring Ferguson and McGregor, as well as Kris Boyd, back into the fold.

It’s believed the manager is aggrieved that players abused the trust he’d placed in them and feels badly let down.

A peace pact between Burley and the axed aces can’t be ruled out.For now, though, Scotland must enter the most important game of Burley’s reign without their most experienced and influential player.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How ridiculous is true, if players couldnt have a few drinks a full 3 days before a match the majority of them would be tee-total throughout the season. Although quite possibly the usual tabloid pish

No mention of the "bevvy session" in that article. Fair play to Burley if he is dropping Ferguson based on form, he hasn't been good enough.

agreed - but in the middle of a double header? What was he supposed to do against Holland? Plus who's he going to bring in?

Ferguson would have retired at the end of the season (from internationals) anyway, this is more appalling man management by the old lush. A desperation move.

No mention of the "bevvy session" in that article. Fair play to Burley if he is dropping Ferguson based on form, he hasn't been good enough.

agreed - but in the middle of a double header? What was he supposed to do against Holland? Plus who's he going to bring in?

Ferguson would have retired at the end of the season (from internationals) anyway, this is more appalling ma management by Burley. A desperation move.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Fletcher and Brown in the middle of a 4-4-2(if this is true that is).

He'll retire if we don't make the World Cup(which we won't) but I'd be surprised if he did it at the end of the season.

This is the last international of the season though isn't it?

This is the last qualifier until Norway away on August 12th. Then we have Macedonia and Holland in September.

I think we will win them all :ph34r: