"My own personal opinion is that Kyle is a centre-forward rather than a left-mid

Boab

ALLY McCOIST paid tribute to striker Kyle Lafferty after his double helped ease Rangers into the last four of the Scottish Cup.

The Northern Ireland hitman has been the subject of much criticism this season, thanks largely to the £3million fee paid for him by the Light Blues last summer.

Lafferty is slowly repaying that figure and his brace this afternoon took his goals tally for the season to seven for the Ibrox men.

He also has one more for his country and with more than two months of the season still to go, it's the most prolific campaign of his fledgling career yet.

Assistant manager McCoist is pleased with the way Lafferty is progressing and believes there is plenty more to come from him in the years ahead.

He said: "My own personal opinion is that Kyle is a centre-forward rather than a left-midfielder and I feel he will develop into a very good one.

"A lot of people probably forget he is still relatively young but he has good experience for his age at international level with Northern Ireland.

"There are things we will continue to work on with him in terms of his movement and his positioning.

"But he is a completely different type of player to the likes of Kris Boyd, Kenny Miller and Nacho Novo and we're happy with how he is doing.

"I'm thrilled for him after his two goals today and I'm looking forward to working on with him as I feel there's enormous potential in there."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1583350,00.html

IMO credit for his two goals but he is fuckin woeful.

He and Boyd are each as bad.

He cannot read the game and really looks awkward with the ball at his feet.

I feel if we are going to leave out Boyd, Lafferty is not the answer.

I think maybe Fleck, Naismith or EVEN Velicka should be given a chance alongside Miller.

My personal choice would be Velicka as we know he can score goals and doesnt have a BAD work rate.

I hope Lafferty is left out next week and we play someone else.

Still a pretty good win today though :gerbad:

"My own personal opinion is that Kyle is a centre-forward rather than a left-midfielder and I feel he will develop into a very good one.

Breaking news: McCoist fired as Rangers assistant for disagreeing with Walter. :ph34r:

I was wondering

How any Goals has Lafferty scored?

How many games has he started? And How many games including substitute appearances?

I think hes going to be a player. T

hey said it on the BBC today and I agree. He still very young and is learning the game.

Started off poorly, some of his first touches were poor, then came onto a strikers game, but he needs games in that position because I believe he can become a powerful foil upfront. I think needs to build up some bulk to be able to shrug off defenders the way Cousin did when he felt like. I think Lafferty has the potential to become a brilliant forward for the team.

I thought Lafferty had a good game - his first few touches were poor but they improved after that. He linked up well with Miller and was coming deep to pick up balls along with drifting out wide, which dragged the Hamilton defence out of position and created space for Mendes, Ferguson, Davis and Whittaker to exploit. He was always prepared to chase a ball and was unlucky on a few occassions.

He still needs to work on his touch at times, distribution and decision making but that will hopefully improve the more he plays. I also wish Bougherra and Weir would stop playing it long for him.

Another start in his proper position and two goals, not bad aye - I still expect a lot more for him and that will come but at this moment in time he deserves his place upfront with Miller. It's the best partnership at the club as I'm one of the people who don't rate the Boyd-Miller partnership, infact I think it's awful.

In all, Lafferty can be happy with his performance today. It should give him confidence and hopefully the management stick with him.

Guest The Brown Brogue

I think he did well as he usually has done when started up-front. His situation reminds me a bit of Hately when he first came to the club, just seems some fans are very unwilling to accept him. I like the kid and think he has something to offer, so lets hope he gets the chance to develop and improve with us.

As for McCoists comments its not the first time he has come out and, albeit it in a slightly guarded matter, said something which goes against Smiths tactics or team selections.

Again i wasn't impressed besides the two goals, i just don't think the guy is good enough and the 3.5 million price tag doesn't help. Next week he'll not start as Miller will be a lone striker.

He certainly got a bit better as the game went on, he just needs a run of games, interestingly enough isnt hamilton now the team he has scored the most goals against, like someone else at the club? I wonder how that will work in his favour

I think its fair to say, he is poor in the air, and thrives from getting the ball into his feet, but even then, he does the hard work by getting past one player and runs straight into another player right after it, very frustrating. He is just being tarnished by his big price tag, its safe to say he didnt have a bad game today but he did look good at times. We played some excellent stuff at times but were still to guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net! Im just pleased with the win though

Again i wasn't impressed besides the two goals, i just don't think the guy is good enough and the 3.5 million price tag doesn't help. Next week he'll not start as Miller will be a lone striker.

He certainly got a bit better as the game went on, he just needs a run of games, interestingly enough isnt hamilton now the team he has scored the most goals against, like someone else at the club? I wonder how that will work in his favour

I think its fair to say, he is poor in the air, and thrives from getting the ball into his feet, but even then, he does the hard work by getting past one player and runs straight into another player right after it, very frustrating. He is just being tarnished by his big price tag, its safe to say he didnt have a bad game today but he did look good at times. We played some excellent stuff at times but were still to guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net! Im just pleased with the win though

I thought it was the same terrible football again today, there were a few good moments with a couple of the goals but overall i was yet again not entertained and the fact it was such a cold day didn't help matters.

I still think he is very ordinary. Just doesn't have enough skill for me but at least he works hard and deserved his goals today. That will be enough to start him next week because his counterpart ( Boyd ) appears to be very uninterested at the moment.

I thought it was the same terrible football again today, there were a few good moments with a couple of the goals but overall i was yet again not entertained and the fact it was such a cold day didn't help matters.

I didnt think it was that terrible tbh, it was near constant pressure and constant posession for us, the only time they got the ball was when we misplaced a pass or tried to actually create something a little bit better than just waiting for the opening. We needed those goals on wednesday and if we had them, nobody would have been saying it was a terrible performance! I still thought it was some of the best stuff we had played and we still looked like trying to create more even though the game was dead, I just hope they carry that on into the next few games

I think the price tag is what drags him down.

£3.5 million was it?

Suffering from same thing that Flo suffered from.

At least with Boyd you can say that his £400k price tag is what you get :craphead:

I thought Lafferty had a good game - his first few touches were poor but they improved after that. He linked up well with Miller and was coming deep to pick up balls along with drifting out wide, which dragged the Hamilton defence out of position and created space for Mendes, Ferguson, Davis and Whittaker to exploit. He was always prepared to chase a ball and was unlucky on a few occassions.

He still needs to work on his touch at times, distribution and decision making but that will hopefully improve the more he plays. I also wish Bougherra and Weir would stop playing it long for him.

Another start in his proper position and two goals, not bad aye - I still expect a lot more for him and that will come but at this moment in time he deserves his place upfront with Miller. It's the best partnership at the club as I'm one of the people who don't rate the Boyd-Miller partnership, infact I think it's awful.

In all, Lafferty can be happy with his performance today. It should give him confidence and hopefully the management stick with him.

(tu)