Setanta dead at last

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Sky, imagine seeing Charlie Nicholas on as a pundit each week, he's as bad as Andy Walker in the skelpt-arse-face stakes. ESPN would be a s secure as Sky because they are owned by Disney, plus I would not want to subscribe to a sister company of the SUN and NOTW, those bastions of anti Rangers bile....

i think that ESPN are a better shot, they are huge abroad, especially in the US and latin America. Could work out very good for the SPL in the long run and they are a huge company, owned by Disney, and are finacially secure.

i think that ESPN are a better shot, they are huge abroad, especially in the US and latin America. Could work out very good for the SPL in the long run and they are a huge company, owned by Disney, and are finacially secure.

Is ESPN available on any tv package in Uk? No option for it on my Virgin box.

Is ESPN available on any tv package in Uk? No option for it on my Virgin box.

It will be once they create a channel

shame, i will miss my Friday football, some of the best boxing matches you'll see, the french football for when feck all else is on, monday night Prem games , getting to see the Gers just about every week and all for a measly £10 or i can pay 50 quid a month to watch MAn utd/ Liverpool games every week :anguish: i know which i would rather have

Sky is the favourite to reclaim main broadcasting rights for the Scottish Premier League as clubs north of the border edge closer to terminating their present deal with Setanta.

The SPL is understood to have been in talks with Sky for a number of weeks regarding a £90m rescue plan – £35m less than Setanta originally paid for the rights – as Setanta's financial problems become increasingly apparent. The American broadcaster ESPN has also indicated a willingness to screen Scottish football on a four-year deal but the level of exposure and perceived lower levels of risk attached to returning to Sky is likely to sway SPL clubs.

A year ago Sky made an offer to screen live SPL matches for four years from 2010. Despite backing from Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers, the other SPL clubs opted to extend their relationship with Setanta for an agreed fee of £125m.

Yet Setanta defaulted on a £3m end-of-season payment to Scottish clubs and has subsequently lost its rights to screen English Premier League games after a rescue package led by the American tycoon Len Blavatnik failed.

Although no SPL clubs are yet on the brink of extinction as a result of Setanta's troubles, the league's board are aware they must move quickly to safeguard future television income. Under the present Setanta deal, each club would receive £500,000 at the start of the new season.

The SPL will make its position clear this afternoon. In the meantime, speculation will arise as to where Sky would schedule games if it took over SPL rights. Recently it has favoured Saturday or Sunday lunchtime slots when screening Scottish Cup games but Sunday evenings, with an extended contract to show Spanish Liga games still to be negotiated, is another possibility.

Commercial sensitivity means none of the parties involved have been willing to comment on matters to date.

SPL ditch Setanta - 2009/10 matches WILL NOT be on Setanta -

Setanta today notified the Scottish Premier League that it is unable to make the outstanding payment of £3 million to the SPL.

Lex Gold, Executive Chairman of the SPL, said: “Setanta has been unable to meet our extended deadline for the outstanding £3 million payment to the SPL and, in terms of the notice previously issued, our British broadcasting rights for season 2009/10 and beyond revert to us.

“We are now actively engaging in the process of selling our domestic broadcasting rights for next season and beyond."

Source -

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.as...2&back=home

Setanta are done and I will shed no tears.

Froma purely selfish point of view the service I have had from them over the last two years makes me glad I won’t have to have anything more to do with them. A cloud in the sky used mean to no service for me and meant me missing far too many games.

I think sky are a certainty, no way we will take the same risks again, old firm games in HD would be nice……..

If ESPN get the rights, where will we watch it? Do they even have a UK tv channel? <cr>

Would it would be another Setanta style subscription channel?

they have espn classics on sky but i dont know how easy it would be to just bang it on there

If ESPN get the rights, where will we watch it? Do they even have a UK tv channel? <cr>

Would it would be another Setanta style subscription channel?

they have espn classics on sky but i dont know how easy it would be to just bang it on there

If they were paying good money to get the games they would then need to negotiate with Sky to be given money to show their channel. Can only imagine it would be subscription.

I think it would be subscription, premiership on a Saturday and us on a Sunday…who knows what they would fill the rest of the time with though.

I would be stunned if this is the way we go though (which means that is probably what the idiot chairman of the SPL will decide)

We will know by the end of the week either way though