Would you agree/diasgree with this statement

OrangeBurn

Kris Boyd  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Kris Boyd is the best finisher is Scotland, but one of the worst Strikers in Scotland

• Agree
    • Disagree

There are better finishers imo, and he is one of the worst players.

Heres that term 'player' again.

Football is a team of 11 'Players', all with varying skills and attributes. Boyds is goal poacher, scorer, striker. And as so why do people expect more from him than that? Fair enough linking up, tackling back etc, which he has improved upon alot, but we can't expect Laudrup esque runs out of him.

A good footballer can pass, run, tackle, head, shoot, finish, cross, hit a deadball, last for 90-120 minutes, turn up in big matches, wee matches and lead by example.

A good goalscorer can score goals.

A good defender can defend.

I'd say that's about the size of it.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are better finishers imo, and he is one of the worst players.

Heres that term 'player' again.

Football is a team of 11 'Players', all with varying skills and attributes. Boyds is goal poacher, scorer, striker. And as so why do people expect more from him than that? Fair enough linking up, tackling back etc, which he has improved upon alot, but we can't expect Laudrup esque runs out of him.

I don't :)

I'd say Boyd is the most lethal striker in Scotland, who has improved his all-round play over the last 18 months.

He's certainly not our best player, not by a mile, but, he is vital member of the side. I think the best thing you could say about Kris Boyd is that the whole time he has been at Rangers he has been in poor Rangers sides, with a lack of creativity and guile and he has still scored a hat full of goals. Now though we are putting together a very attractive side who are creating more chances than the last 4-5 years. Boyd and the rest of the forwards are going to thrive with this new brand of football and the main benefit of our football is going to be Boyd because when he gets the ball in a good position, more often than not, it's a goal.

Goals win games and Kris Boyd does that in abundance. I reckon Boyd should be given his chance in the Champions League and start in the first Old Firm match this season.

Being in the right place at the right time is an art form for Centre-Forwards.

Boyd does this extremely well he just knows where to be in and around the area. People will say this is easy - and players like this get classed as goal-hangers. But its a lot harder than you think.

Add that to Boyd's killer instincts in front of goal i think you will find he's without doubt the best striker in Scotland.

And when Boyd is long retired the history books will show the bucket full of goals he scored season after season - not what he couldnt do.

Boyd does this extremely well he just knows where to be in and around the area. People will say this is easy - and players like this get classed as goal-hangers. But its a lot harder than you think.

Add that to Boyd's killer instincts in front of goal i think you will find he's without doubt the best striker in Scotland.

And when Boyd is long retired the history books will show the bucket full of goals he scored season after season - not what he couldnt do.

I agree.

I just don't see why people need to try and over-exaggerate a 2% improvement on his overall game as 'vast' and 'important'.

He's never going to improve that adequately and he'll still score 25 a year in Scotland. I'm happy with that.

I agree.

I just don't see why people need to try and over-exaggerate a 2% improvement on his overall game as 'vast' and 'important'.

He's never going to improve that adequately and he'll still score 25 a year in Scotland. I'm happy with that.

I think the good and bad are over exaggerated mate. Maybe the "important" bit was because that is something that people used initially as the main critc of him, so, i guess, him doing more is "answering" that.

I am more than happy with his contribution too, but, you never know, Players like Prso didnt do much until later in there careers so, bit too soon to say never I reckon

He does actually have that occasional flash of brilliance.

Against Falkirk, he flicked the ball backwards over a defenders head and played a delightful chip through to Miller/Naismith that was just an inch too hard.

I wish he could do it more often.

Against Falkirk, he flicked the ball backwards over a defenders head and played a delightful chip through to Miller/Naismith that was just an inch too hard.

:clap: Kinda makes a mockery of the "shite footballer" statement though eh fella? He can do it, just, not as often as we would like... yet

Best Finisher in Scotland - No

Best Poacher in Scotland - Yes, easily

Worst Striker in Scotland - No, it's the SPL not the EPL. a HELL of a lot of dross in our league. It's insulting to even suggest this

Best Striker in Scotland - No, there are a few I'd take before Boyd. However he is one of the best and will score goals.

Good Footballer - No, We all know Boyd isn't exactly Mr Technical ability or workrate. His game is by large based on his ability to be in the right place at the right time and to do something by instinct... something that can't be taught. He does have large inadequacies in other area's of his game, which probably does limit the level at which he can be regularly effective at.

Call it luck, instinct, whatever you want. Boyd has a knack of scoring goals. It's also fair to say his success rate is far higher against lesser teams and whilst not always, his career trend does suggest he has quieter games against bigger teams.

In summary,

Is Boyd useful to Rangers - Yes, he scores +20 league goals a season, virtually guaranteed

Would I play Boyd every game - No. I'd play him based on the best game plan for any specific game. Unfortunately for Boyd his style of play isn't suitable for all opposition we will face.

who is?

:clap: Kinda makes a mockery of the "shite footballer" statement though eh fella? He can do it, just, not as often as we would like... yet

Hmmmm, kinda.

If I had a bulletproof vest that only stopped bullets entering my chest sometimes, I'd call it a shite bulletproof vest.

So I can see why some would think the 'shite footballer' tag can stick.

I agreed, but only to a limited extent. His goalscoring ability is amazing, but he is far too lazy. If we could combine Millers energy with Boyd's scoring we would have some player

That player wouldn't be playing for us!