Gazza v Brown By Terry Butcher

minstral

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's comparing their mental attributes more than their technical attributes, as there's only one winner in that department.

There's no quotes from Butcher comparing Brown and Gazza's technical ability. One is a hard-worker, a hassler who runs all day and is still very raw technically, the other was quite simply a genius.

Major overreaction in this thread if anything, as this quote from Butcher proves...

Gazza was a bit different with his manipulation of the ball and his ability to go one on one but Scott certainly works as hard.

Especially the end part, as it's the only thing that can realistically be compared with them.

Ive actually just read through the article again.

The only way he seems to be comparing Brown to Gazza is through his workrate and desire to win, which is possibly accurate (dare I say it).

I dont see him saying he has the same level of technical ability, skill or sheer presence as Gazza, which imo were his 3 biggest attributes, all 3 which Brown will never achieve the same status.

Gazza (or Laudo's) name just had to be on the team sheet and the whole team got a lift and the opposition were already shitting themselves. Brown doesnt command that sort of respect..... and as far as I can see by the article Butcher hasnt compared them in this way.

I could be wrong about what I have said.

Gazza was one of the most naturally talented footballers ever, let down by a poor attitude towards taking things seriously. I always say with Gazza, imagine the player he would of been if he lived the life of an athlete!

Brown is almost the polar opposite of Gazza. Not the greatest footballer ever, who makes up for it with hard work and a good attitude.

Spot on, would've been a footballing great. Similar to Georgie Best, although he does go down as a footballing great because he's arguably the greatest player ever, but could've been so much better with a different lifestyle.

Brown is a great player and i really do wish he played for us.....but Gazza is one of the greatest players seen in Scotland and was one of the greatest players in the world in his time. I just dont get what has happened to Butcher. He was one of my heros as a kid but now....

Broon is good but he is no Gazza

he riled the Macedonians and scored a goal so suddenly he is being eulogised again!

rewind to Celtic Arsenal in the Emirates ...he was snarling there but it still didn't stop Celtic getting turned over by Arsenal who hardly broke sweat the whole game

this has to be the most absurd article i have ever read !!

brown & gazza in the same article is bad enough, but to even compare them at all is beyond belief!

If butcher said this (& it is perfectly plausible that a journalist twisted the story) then he has lost it. either that or he is scooping as much as george!

Have you guys even read the article properly?

I am definitely gonna be in the minority by saying it, but I don't see, when looking deep into the article what he has said too much wrong.

Not once does he compare Brown to Gazza technically. Not once does he compare the impact Brown has on his own team and the opposition as being similar to Gazza's. Not once does he say Brown was as Good on a football park, or even close to being as good as Gazza.

What he does say though is

He's an exceptional talent who you're glad to have in your team.

Now, while I don't believe he is an exceptional talent (yet), I would have happily had him at Ibrox. I do believe, that when he leaves the cesspit, he has the potential to go onto much bigger and better things in a much better league.

He doesn't cause his own team problems which is good and Gazza was the same

I disagree with this, on both counts. Gazza was a great, a true legend but his temparment was very very dodgy. Brown is not a great, nor a legend, but his temparment is dodgy and can easily see him booked early, or sent off in games. How this is not causing problems for his own team I do not know.

Gazza would work his socks off the same as Scott. Scott's knuckled down and listened to people and learnt a helluva lot

I agree with this to an extent. When Gazza wanted to, his attitude was immense and his workrate was even better. Brown very rarely doesn't put in a shift. In his first season at the cesspit, he was rarely seen. Last season he found more space and worked hard as fcuk in just about every game. (I think the space was due to McTraitor and Maloney being doubkle marked a lot).

Whereas Gazza found his own space, didn't matter how many men surrounded him. Remember Aberdeen? Genius.

If he adds goals to his game, like he did on Saturday, then you can see that with Gazza as well.

This however, is bollocks.

Gazza was a bit different with his manipulation of the ball and his ability to go one on one but Scott certainly works as hard.

How can anyone deny this? All Terry is saying here is, yes Gazza was miles better as an individual player but in terms of workrate, Brown is up there with him.

The best is yet to come from Scott. He's started his career very well. He's at a great club, and he's playing and scoring for his country.

The bit in bold is a disgusting thing to read from an ex Ger!! I personally would never describe the mhankies as a Great Club, no matter how high their standing was in European or World football. The last part in bold is also a gross exaggeration. He scored once for his country..... let's not go overboard.