Magic injured?

Boab

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he will play, no need for panic in my book...don't think he wants away either, he has never played for a club anywhere near this size and he will be loving it...come next year tho, diff story, he will be away to a premiership club no doubt, particularly if he performs and gets us out of group stages..should be able to buy two decent CBs with the money we make from him

there is fresh doubt over the participation of his fellow weekend absentee Madjid Bo

ugherra.

After declaring the issue of Bougherra's tardy return from World Cup duty with Algeria closed, for reasons Smith fully accepted – Bougherra is understood to have lost a bag containing his passport and mobile phone en route to Glasgow – the Rangers manager yesterday saw the defender suffer a knee injury during training at Murray Park.

The 27-year-old has not been ruled out yet but will be assessed today before a decision is made on whether he will be back alongside his captain, David Weir, in the Rangers defence.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Now-Smi...n-an.5747417.jp

McCulloch has been solid the past wee while.............I lie

No matter what you think of the Romanians they are still in the Champions league on merit and i for one cringe at the idea of that waste of fresh air playing in our defence with Big Weir, who we now can see is struggling...

The boys like Wilson and McMillan must sit there and think either a must be pish or next chance i get i'm outa here....

It makes me so angry that we play Mculloch at the best of times against teams like St Johnstone but in the Cl! OMG!!

I dont have any major issues with Smith, you cant argue with what he achieved but you MUST question his motives for playing Mcculloch anywhere he can fit him in, its not like he is a great passer of the ball like Hemdani who done that job! god I would even put Novo at CB before that big lump! He may be good for morale but he aint good for results! wake up walter?

Champions League blow for Rangers as Madjid Bougherra suffers freak injury

Oct 20 2009 By Keith Jackson

MADJID Bougherra's big return to action looks certain to be put on hold again after he suffered a freak training ground injury yesterday.

Bougherra was supposed to go straight into Rangers' defence for tonight's Champions League clash with Romanian minnows Unirea Urziceni after convincing manager Walter Smith he had a legitimate reason for going AWOL last week.

But now, barring a miracle recovery, Bougherra will be forced out after twisting a knee during yesterday's final training session at Murray Park ahead of the Group G clash.

The Algerian, who failed to get back from a World Cup qualifier in time for the weekend win over ligament and could be out for two weeks. But although the Algerian, who failed to get back from a World Cup qualifier in time for Saturday's win over St Johnstone, was being written off by Smith's medical team, there was some good news when Pedro Mendes was passed fit.

Smith, though, will be hugely disappointed at losing Bougherra for a must-win match against the supposed whipping boys of the section.

In fact, yesterday Smith accused Dan Petrescu and his camp of trying to dupe Rangers into a false sense of security ahead of the double-header.

Smith questioned the validity of Unirea's tag as self-proclaimed no-hopers on the Euro stage. He said: "We won't underestimate them. Unirea have played this card quite well - they say they are the 'small town team'.

"But they've had quite a bit of investment. They have South Americans playing in Romania. On top of that, they have been good enough to win their own league. But they use their underdog tag well."

Smith did admit Rangers' quest to make the knockout stages will depend on the results of this double-header.

He said: "I would hope we will get out of the section and at least qualify for the UEFA Cup. If we were to finish second in this group it would be a terrific achievement.

"If we then got to the last eight? That would be fantastic given the situation we are in. It will need a real concerted effort from everybody but I prefer not to look that far ahead. I'm only concentrating on tomorrow night's game."

Smith is hoping for a strong turnout from the home support. By yesterday more than 40,000 tickets had been sold and a late rush could see a gate in excess of 45,000.

Smith said: "It would be good if we had a really good atmosphere, although I'm a firm believer that if you want a good atmosphere your team has to play in a manner that creates it."

Smith admits his side will have to improve massively on their recent shabby SPL form.

He said: "Our better performances this season have come in European games.

"We had a good hour against Stuttgart and another good hour against Sevilla. I'd hope we'll take that type of form into this one - hopefully over 90 minutes."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21760070/

:anguish:

It makes me so angry that we play Mculloch at the best of times against teams like St Johnstone but in the Cl! OMG!!

I dont have any major issues with Smith, you cant argue with what he achieved but you MUST question his motives for playing Mcculloch anywhere he can fit him in, its not like he is a great passer of the ball like Hemdani who done that job! god I would even put Novo at CB before that big lump! He may be good for morale but he aint good for results! wake up walter?

(tu) I fail to see any reason for McCulloch in any position in the team especially central defence or central midfield where he contributes less than nothing offensively or defensively.

Champions League blow for Rangers as Madjid Bougherra suffers freak injury

Oct 20 2009 By Keith Jackson

MADJID Bougherra's big return to action looks certain to be put on hold again after he suffered a freak training ground injury yesterday.

Bougherra was supposed to go straight into Rangers' defence for tonight's Champions League clash with Romanian minnows Unirea Urziceni after convincing manager Walter Smith he had a legitimate reason for going AWOL last week.

But now, barring a miracle recovery, Bougherra will be forced out after twisting a knee during yesterday's final training session at Murray Park ahead of the Group G clash.

The Algerian, who failed to get back from a World Cup qualifier in time for the weekend win over ligament and could be out for two weeks. But although the Algerian, who failed to get back from a World Cup qualifier in time for Saturday's win over St Johnstone, was being written off by Smith's medical team, there was some good news when Pedro Mendes was passed fit.

Smith, though, will be hugely disappointed at losing Bougherra for a must-win match against the supposed whipping boys of the section.

In fact, yesterday Smith accused Dan Petrescu and his camp of trying to dupe Rangers into a false sense of security ahead of the double-header.

Smith questioned the validity of Unirea's tag as self-proclaimed no-hopers on the Euro stage. He said: "We won't underestimate them. Unirea have played this card quite well - they say they are the 'small town team'.

"But they've had quite a bit of investment. They have South Americans playing in Romania. On top of that, they have been good enough to win their own league. But they use their underdog tag well."

Smith did admit Rangers' quest to make the knockout stages will depend on the results of this double-header.

He said: "I would hope we will get out of the section and at least qualify for the UEFA Cup. If we were to finish second in this group it would be a terrific achievement.

"If we then got to the last eight? That would be fantastic given the situation we are in. It will need a real concerted effort from everybody but I prefer not to look that far ahead. I'm only concentrating on tomorrow night's game."

Smith is hoping for a strong turnout from the home support. By yesterday more than 40,000 tickets had been sold and a late rush could see a gate in excess of 45,000.

Smith said: "It would be good if we had a really good atmosphere, although I'm a firm believer that if you want a good atmosphere your team has to play in a manner that creates it."

Smith admits his side will have to improve massively on their recent shabby SPL form.

He said: "Our better performances this season have come in European games.

"We had a good hour against Stuttgart and another good hour against Sevilla. I'd hope we'll take that type of form into this one - hopefully over 90 minutes."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21760070/

:anguish:

So why do you insist on playing 10 men behind the ball so much and the spoiling negative tactics which are your trademark?

Why as soon as we look to be getting success when we paly at a quick tempo do you run down to the dug out and get any attacking midfielders to sit back?

Next thing you will be saying the team practises set pieces!

RANGERS will be forced to go into tonight's crucial Champions League clash against Unirea Urziceni without Madjid Bougherra.

The Murray Park medical department have confirmed that the Algerian defender has a knee injury sustained in training yesterday and won't be able to face the Romanian champions.

It is a bitterly ironic twist for the player and Rangers after he missed last Saturday's St Johnstone game when he arrived back late from international duty but was reinistated to the squad when his explanation was accepted.

Bougherra had personal belongings stolen on Thursday - including his passport and mobile phone - which meant he did not arrive back in Glasgow until late on Friday night.

He was relishing the prospect of getting back into the fold for the important Ibrox meeting with Unirea but now he is back on the sidelines.

Bougherra will be assessed by the medical team in the coming days and as yet it is unclear how serious the injury is.

It has obviously affected Walter Smith's plans who now has to decide who goes in to partner Davie Weir at the back.

Lee McCulloch played there at Perth last Saturday and also deputised for Weir in Stuttgart in matchday one when Bougherra scored the vital goal which gave Rangers a 1-1 draw.

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1831423,00.html

McCulloch has been solid the past wee while.............I lie

No matter what you think of the Romanians they are still in the Champions league on merit and i for one cringe at the idea of that waste of fresh air playing in our defence with Big Weir, who we now can see is struggling...

The boys like Wilson and McMillan must sit there and think either a must be pish or next chance i get i'm outa here....

Especially McMillan, who a couple of seasons ago, was the best right back in our club before they tried to shoehorn into being a left back and this season as a central defender. He obviously will never make it at the club if he has failed to prove to our manager that he is better than Broadfoot or Whittaker and now even the lump of dross McCulloch.