Brian Laudrup on Boyd's contract situation

Boab

by Alison McConnell

IBROX legend Brian Laudrup has told Rangers they need to keep hold of Kris Boyd until the end of the season if they want to retain the title.

The striker is out of contract this summer and the club could be tempted to cash in on him, should a decent offer emerge in the January transfer window.

However, Laudrup believes that winning the title will be more beneficial to Rangers than earning a quick buck.

"Rangers are struggling financially, but from a footballing point of view, it makes sense," said the Dane.

"It could have been easy to try and get something for Boyd in January, but they are also aware of his worth on the field.

"He has been the top scorer for the last two or three seasons and although he doesn't play in too many of the big games, he still does the business in the SPL.

"His goals were a big factor in Rangers winning the title last season and I am sure Walter Smith will see him as another important player in the defence of the SPL crown.

"If they were to sell him in January, they would only get a fraction of his true worth, so they are better to hold on to him because he could be the difference between finishing first or second in the SPL."

And Laudrup believes that irrespective of the fact that Boyd appears to be on his way out of the club in the long-term, he will be fired up for the second half of the campaign.

"For me, the last five or six months of your contract are more important than the rest of your time at a club because that is the time people will always remember," he said.

"If you have a bad final few months at a club, the fans are more likely to remember that than maybe two-and-a-half good years because that is fresher in the memory.

"I saw out the final season of my contract at Rangers when I knew Walter was leaving and I also knew I would be moving on. There was a lot of interest but I just concentrated on my football."

Publication date 02/12/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2536241.0.0.php

Improved his all-round game, been one of our better players of late, continues to score goals - I see no reason why we should let him go in January or in the Summer for that matter, if he keeps this form up.

Interesting about what he said about the last six months of contracts as he was a ghost before he went to Chelsea.

exactly.

Laudrup's memory is far too short. He was a fraction of the player we all loved watching, for his last 6 months. Too scared to get injured incase his last money move fell through.

I would be surprised if Boyd moved in January. Actually I would be surprised if he moved on at all were he offered a reasonablt contract.

Only if one of the larger EPL clubs came in for him would he accept being punted (in my opinion of course) and that is unlikely. The feeling is he has no interest in going anywhere.

If we ain't tying up Boyd with a new contract and this goes for Novo as well we should try and move them on in January, it's all well and good saying they will just get on with it and concentrate on there football but that's rarely the case.

Other factors come into play with them starting to think about injuries they might pick up, scouts coming to watch them play. Other players noses getting out of joint knowing they are going and them still not getting a game etc.

I would be surprised if Boyd moved in January. Actually I would be surprised if he moved on at all were he offered a reasonablt contract.

Only if one of the larger EPL clubs came in for him would he accept being punted (in my opinion of course) and that is unlikely. The feeling is he has no interest in going anywhere.

TBH I'll be surprised if Boyd leaves Ibrox while he's still playing.

Tend to agree mate. Strikes me he would probably play without a contract (conjecture) much in the same way smith will if need be

Tend to agree mate. Strikes me he would probably play without a contract (conjecture) much in the same way smith will if need be

Do you still believe in the tooth fairy? :)

Boyd will still be here until the summer...........but only because he can then increase his own terms when he is a free agent.

As for Laudrup saying that he was concentrating on his football in his last six months, bollocks. That period, for me, soured the memory of some of the great moments he gave us in the Royal blue.