Ally Can Be Boss After Me

derekweir29

Ally McCoist would be perfect as Ibrox gaffer

WALTER SMITH BACKS GERS LEGEND TO TAKE ON HOT SEAT

Image Flag

By Kenny MacDonald, 13/12/2009

WALTER SMITH says Ally McCoist is the perfect man to take over from him as Rangers boss - and then people will see the REAL McCoist.

Smith revealed he discussed McCoist taking over as manager with then-chairman Sir David Murray when he first returned to Ibrox in January 2007.

The Ibrox chief - who, with assistants McCoist and Kenny McDowall, will work without a contract when his deal expires next month - says the former hitman masks a hunger for success and coaching ability behind the public persona of TV personality.

Smith insists that McCoist took a calculated risk by turning his back on a successful telly career to start on the coaching side when Smith asked him to become his No 2.

But he also points out that at 47 McCoist is four years older now than Smith was when he was first appointed Rangers manager in April 1991 - and the time is coming when he will have to make the step up.

He said: "Alistair has always had this 'cheeky chappie' persona, but there's another side to him. The face the public see isn't what he is. He's a bright lad but he's got a real desire to win, at anything, not just football.

"Making his choice about what he was going to do in his life was a big decision for him.

"He gave up a lot. To walk away from a career where you're sitting in a TV studio and you're exceptionally good at what you're doing, to go into something when, if you're losing at half-time you're getting booed wasn't an easy decision.

"It shows you how much he really wants it and that desire is a side a lot of people don't see. He's inclined to cover it up with a quick wit and the persona people are familiar with but the kind of sacrifice he made makes him a rarity.

"He had an ambition to be Rangers manager and he knew I wasn't going to be hanging around for an awful long time.

"He's older now than I was when I took over as manager and at that stage I probably felt myself that I was getting older. People still view him as a young man and it's to his credit that he's been able to keep that image going.

"Television was an obvious path for him. He did it and he's given it up at a stage when everybody of his age who was going to be a manager has been one. But that's what he wanted to do and if you look at the success we've had in the last two years it would indicate it was the right choice.

"As a manager you need good people around you. I've been lucky to have that in my career and I'm lucky to have that now.

"When David Murray asked me come back I said to him I'd like to bring Alistair with me. At that time I also asked that if I left or the club was sold - because David had mentioned it was in his thoughts even then - would there be a chance of Ally being in the running to take over. He said that was the case if he was still the owner.

"Now the circumstances of the ownership of the club have changed and it's Coisty and Kenny McDowall that I feel for.

"It was easier for me to make the decision to work without a contract because at my age that doesn't really matter to me, but it was a big thing for them.

"After the three years we've had, where we won four trophies and reached a European final, they'd have expected - in normal circumstances - to be getting an extension to their contracts.

"I don't think anyone could argue they were deserving of that but it wasn't to be. We didn't think we'd go three years without having a change of owner but we have so it wasn't an easy decision for them. But they felt there was no point in accepting new contracts then having a situation where a new owner comes in and doesn't want us and doesn't want to pay us off so we're left hanging on.

"Now if a new owner comes in, it can be a clean sheet and if he wants to retain our services that'll be fine. We hope that would be the circumstances, but you never know.

"It would have been easy for me to walk away at the end of last season but the club is operating in pretty difficult circumstances and I didn't think it was right for Ally and Kenny to be taking over in the position we were in and they agreed."

Smith also revealed that the club are almost certain not to make any signings in the January transfer window.

That will mean a two-year gap since the club's last signing - Madjid Bougherra in July 2008 - and Smith fears that his own out-of-contract stars could be snatched away.

He said: "We've seven players out of contract in the summer, and it's only been in the last three weeks we've been able to negotiate with them but that doesn't mean we're going to reach agreement.

"Someone might make them an offer we just can't match. If someone leaves we can try and get a player in using the wages they've been on. If someone goes in January it's wages off the bill and we'd possibly be able to get someone short-term, but in the January window nobody sells anybody they really want to keep.

"At the end of last season we were aiming to have about 18 senior pros and half a dozen younger boys. If we'd been able to enhance our playing staff we would have been up and running but instead we had a period of stagnation and that's been the biggest disappointment.

"In the next short spell we're going to have seven out of contract including Jerome Rothen who's only on loan. The other six players are Davie Weir, DaMarcus Beasley, Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo, Stevie Smith, and Kirk Broadfoot. We're able to negotiate with those six, but it's been awkward because the boys have been playing without knowing if they're going to be offered new contracts."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/s...-the-reins.html

Ally McCoist would be perfect as Ibrox gaffer

WALTER SMITH BACKS GERS LEGEND TO TAKE ON HOT SEAT

Image Flag

By Kenny MacDonald, 13/12/2009

WALTER SMITH says Ally McCoist is the perfect man to take over from him as Rangers boss - and then people will see the REAL McCoist.

Smith revealed he discussed McCoist taking over as manager with then-chairman Sir David Murray when he first returned to Ibrox in January 2007.

The Ibrox chief - who, with assistants McCoist and Kenny McDowall, will work without a contract when his deal expires next month - says the former hitman masks a hunger for success and coaching ability behind the public persona of TV personality.

Smith insists that McCoist took a calculated risk by turning his back on a successful telly career to start on the coaching side when Smith asked him to become his No 2.

But he also points out that at 47 McCoist is four years older now than Smith was when he was first appointed Rangers manager in April 1991 - and the time is coming when he will have to make the step up.

He said: "Alistair has always had this 'cheeky chappie' persona, but there's another side to him. The face the public see isn't what he is. He's a bright lad but he's got a real desire to win, at anything, not just football.

"Making his choice about what he was going to do in his life was a big decision for him.

"He gave up a lot. To walk away from a career where you're sitting in a TV studio and you're exceptionally good at what you're doing, to go into something when, if you're losing at half-time you're getting booed wasn't an easy decision.

"It shows you how much he really wants it and that desire is a side a lot of people don't see. He's inclined to cover it up with a quick wit and the persona people are familiar with but the kind of sacrifice he made makes him a rarity.

"He had an ambition to be Rangers manager and he knew I wasn't going to be hanging around for an awful long time.

"He's older now than I was when I took over as manager and at that stage I probably felt myself that I was getting older. People still view him as a young man and it's to his credit that he's been able to keep that image going.

"Television was an obvious path for him. He did it and he's given it up at a stage when everybody of his age who was going to be a manager has been one. But that's what he wanted to do and if you look at the success we've had in the last two years it would indicate it was the right choice.

"As a manager you need good people around you. I've been lucky to have that in my career and I'm lucky to have that now.

"When David Murray asked me come back I said to him I'd like to bring Alistair with me. At that time I also asked that if I left or the club was sold - because David had mentioned it was in his thoughts even then - would there be a chance of Ally being in the running to take over. He said that was the case if he was still the owner.

"Now the circumstances of the ownership of the club have changed and it's Coisty and Kenny McDowall that I feel for.

"It was easier for me to make the decision to work without a contract because at my age that doesn't really matter to me, but it was a big thing for them.

"After the three years we've had, where we won four trophies and reached a European final, they'd have expected - in normal circumstances - to be getting an extension to their contracts.

"I don't think anyone could argue they were deserving of that but it wasn't to be. We didn't think we'd go three years without having a change of owner but we have so it wasn't an easy decision for them. But they felt there was no point in accepting new contracts then having a situation where a new owner comes in and doesn't want us and doesn't want to pay us off so we're left hanging on.

"Now if a new owner comes in, it can be a clean sheet and if he wants to retain our services that'll be fine. We hope that would be the circumstances, but you never know.

"It would have been easy for me to walk away at the end of last season but the club is operating in pretty difficult circumstances and I didn't think it was right for Ally and Kenny to be taking over in the position we were in and they agreed."

Smith also revealed that the club are almost certain not to make any signings in the January transfer window.

That will mean a two-year gap since the club's last signing - Madjid Bougherra in July 2008 - and Smith fears that his own out-of-contract stars could be snatched away.

He said: "We've seven players out of contract in the summer, and it's only been in the last three weeks we've been able to negotiate with them but that doesn't mean we're going to reach agreement.

"Someone might make them an offer we just can't match. If someone leaves we can try and get a player in using the wages they've been on. If someone goes in January it's wages off the bill and we'd possibly be able to get someone short-term, but in the January window nobody sells anybody they really want to keep.

"At the end of last season we were aiming to have about 18 senior pros and half a dozen younger boys. If we'd been able to enhance our playing staff we would have been up and running but instead we had a period of stagnation and that's been the biggest disappointment.

"In the next short spell we're going to have seven out of contract including Jerome Rothen who's only on loan. The other six players are Davie Weir, DaMarcus Beasley, Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo, Stevie Smith, and Kirk Broadfoot. We're able to negotiate with those six, but it's been awkward because the boys have been playing without knowing if they're going to be offered new contracts."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/s...-the-reins.html

YOu have to be shiting me there is no way Weir could play for another season. He is struggling this season his legs will be dust by next season

If Walter felt so strongly in giving Ally a shot at manager, he should have stepped down after winning the league last season.

When we get bought over, it's a complete clear out that's needed and a fresh start.

He wanted to step down and was asked to stay on as far as im led to believe.

Leaving McCoist and McDowell in charge this season when there was so much going on behind the scenes would have been disastrous.

I would be willing to give McCoist a season to show what he can do, especially if we have no new owner.

Guest johngers
If Walter felt so strongly in giving Ally a shot at manager, he should have stepped down after winning the league last season.

When we get bought over, it's a complete clear out that's needed and a fresh start.

Leaving McCoist and McDowell in charge this season when there was so much going on behind the scenes would have been disastrous.

I would be willing to give McCoist a season to show what he can do, especially if we have no new owner.

(tu)

The man deserves a chance.

He wanted to step down BUT decided HIMSELF to stay on because he did not want to ruin Ally so early on in his managerial career. Just shows how much of a man he really is.

(tu)

The man deserves a chance.

Garbage, it aint Smiths choice. Will be Alan Irvine when King takes over

I really don't understand why so many are so dead against McCoist being the manager. The guy is a winner and has the drive, the passion and the hunger to succeed at anything he does. He was a very good player, he has been understudy to Smith for a long time now, he has all the qualifications and he knows more than most what it means to be a Ranger...

He has taken charge for cup games and we have been pretty successful under him. As Smith says he is no longer a young man, he is 47, older than Babbel, Petrescu etc who are sometimes touted on here. Older than PLG, and if any warning was needed against bringing in a foreign coach then PLG must surely be case in point.

We could bring in Louis Van Gaal and the guy might turn out a disaster in Scottish football despite his reputation... its just an unknown risk putting ANY coach in the world into manage Rangers. Especially a Rangers team with no money and playing in the current Scottish game.

Anyone that can say McCoist is not the right man for the job and provide the name of an alternative man who would want the job, would be a guaranteed success in the Scottish game and that we could afford to bring in, is, in my opinion, kidding themselves on. Or perhaps, more likely, there is a fear of a player they idolize setting himself up for a fall and perhaps taking the shine of his legendary status??

McCoist MAY be a flop as the Rangers manager, but surely to Christ he is deserving of the opportunity as much as any other potential candidates??

I really don't understand why so many are so dead against McCoist being the manager. The guy is a winner and has the drive, the passion and the hunger to succeed at anything he does. He was a very good player, he has been understudy to Smith for a long time now, he has all the qualifications and he knows more than most what it means to be a Ranger...

He has taken charge for cup games and we have been pretty successful under him. As Smith says he is no longer a young man, he is 47, older than Babbel, Petrescu etc who are sometimes touted on here. Older than PLG, and if any warning was needed against bringing in a foreign coach then PLG must surely be case in point.

We could bring in Louis Van Gaal and the guy might turn out a disaster in Scottish football despite his reputation... its just an unknown risk putting ANY coach in the world into manage Rangers. Especially a Rangers team with no money and playing in the current Scottish game.

Anyone that can say McCoist is not the right man for the job and provide the name of an alternative man who would want the job, would be a guaranteed success in the Scottish game and that we could afford to bring in, is, in my opinion, kidding themselves on. Or perhaps, more likely, there is a fear of a player they idolize setting himself up for a fall and perhaps taking the shine of his legendary status??

McCoist MAY be a flop as the Rangers manager, but surely to Christ he is deserving of the opportunity as much as any other potential candidates??

If he is an outstanding manager, fine, let him prove himself elsewhere, if he is successful he might then get his chance in the Ibrox hotseat.

If he is an outstanding manager, fine, let him prove himself elsewhere, if he is successful he might then get his chance in the Ibrox hotseat.

See this is the other accepted wisdom, "let him prove it elsewhere first" why?

Graeme Souness had never been a manager before, Walter Smith had never been a manager before, they did fine at Rangers. PLG had one the best reputations in Europe and look what happened when he was here... Managers have to start somewhere and at 47 years old Ally has already been blooded in through the cup competitions... if he was to go and "prove" his ability elsewhere there is no guarantee he would come back. Say he went to manage a Championship side, impressed, and the next thing the EPL come knocking....

what the fuck is the problem giving him a crack at the managers job next season when Walter is away? Whats the worst that can happen???

See this is the other accepted wisdom, "let him prove it elsewhere first" why?

Graeme Souness had never been a manager before, Walter Smith had never been a manager before, they did fine at Rangers. PLG had one the best reputations in Europe and look what happened when he was here... Managers have to start somewhere and at 47 years old Ally has already been blooded in through the cup competitions... if he was to go and "prove" his ability elsewhere there is no guarantee he would come back. Say he went to manage a Championship side, impressed, and the next thing the EPL come knocking....

what the fuck is the problem giving him a crack at the managers job next season when Walter is away? Whats the worst that can happen???

(tu) haha especially given that, according to some, we are witnessing the "worst ever Rangers side" etc etc