Tennents

Tennents is rank rotten to drink, the red T looks rank rotten on our strips. I'm all for the change to Adidas as our shirt manufacturers but Tennent as a sponsor, i'd rather not. I'd like to see us sponsored by a global brand. I'm sure Alastair Johnstone can have a word with one of his old buddies at IMG. They've got their fingers in a few global brans like Vodafone and MTV. We want something thats recognisable to people all over the world. I think Tennents would only be recognisable to Scottish people all over the world.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

The parochial thinking behind this move is stunning. "Oh, we're a Scottish club, we'd better go for a Scottish company name."

Complete and utter pish!

The world is full of global brand names that would love to be associated with a successful club like Rangers FC - holders of the title 'Most Championships Won'. We are undercutting ourselves here - we need to think large (as Ricki Fulton said in 'Local Hero') :D

Bluster is great, sadly our board need to operate in the real world.

What some call 'bluster' others call 'principals'. :(

If we had any left we'd chase this beverage company down Edmiston Drive.

For 'real world' read 'small world' - that's the thinking behind this small-minded venture.

We have been sponsored by drink companies for the majority of the last twenty years i would imagine, is this a new objection on your front ? Drink and sport in Scotland, perversely go hand in hand. We don't have multi nationals beating down our door, especially in a year where every major player in the sponsiorship world have had their budgets slashed so tennants is probably the best deal we could do. It's a battle for survuval right now, it'snot the time for misplaced principals.

Not a new thing for me - I've been against the alcohol sponsors for as long as we've had them.

I like many enjoy a swally, but I'm an adult and I call a halt at putting swally company names on school age kids tops.

Just me and those damn principles I guess.

This Tennant's Lager thing is parochial with a capital 'P' (for pish)

The bigger picture is being lost. :(

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even something like O2 , Vodaphone or yes, Orange (but that won't happen) would be terrific. Or, with marketing in North America/Worlwide in mind, something multi-nationally recognized, like FedEx, or UPS....even Pepsi or Coke??

Ah well, time will tell I suppose

Even something like O2 , Vodaphone or yes, Orange (but that won't happen) would be terrific. Or, with marketing in North America/Worlwide in mind, something multi-nationally recognized, like FedEx, or UPS....even Pepsi or Coke??

United Pot Smugglers? :pipe:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...rship-deal.html

THE Old Firm are set to announce new shirt sponsors - with Tennent's favourites to agree a megabucks deal.

Carling's current contract with Celtic and Rangers' will come to an end this summer.

And rival brewer Tennent's is tipped to take over.

Last night fan sites were buzzing with speculation about a new sponsorship deal.

Tennent's, which backs T In The Park, is planning a major marketing push in Scotland.

The firm is tied into a sponsorship deal with the Scottish national football team, which expires in June - when Carling's Old Firm deal also ends.

Carling signed an £18million deal with Rangers and Celtic in 2003.

They announced at the end of last season that they would not be renewing the contract.

Celtic and Rangers have had joint sponsorship deals since the early 1980s when glazing firm CR Smith became the first company to back them both.

Rangers in particular welcome a lucrative long-term deal.

The Ibrox side has cash problems and is up for sale.

A a spokesman for Tennent's - which was last year taken over by the Irish firm which makes Magners Cider - said: "Tennent's is a major supporter of football in Scotland and has been for over 35 years.

"Consequently, from time to time we will be linked to sponsorship opportunities within the game. We will not comment on speculation."

Carling could not be contacted. It is unclear if the new deal will be for less cash than the previous one.

A spokesman for Rangers - whose strip is shown, above, as it might look with a Tennent's logo - said: "We are in negotiations on a number of sponsorship levels with a number of parties but are unable to divulge any further details."

Another deal with a brewer could be controversial, with the Scottish Government considering plans to ban alcohol advertising.

The British Medical Association is urging them to go further by preventing drinks firms from sponsoring clubs and events.

The move could cost clubs and events such as T In The Park millions in lost revenue.

Imagine Orange sponsoring the jersey! haha :praise:

I reckon I could get a job as the heid "photoshopper" at the Sun.

The images they produce are fucking awful.

Just about to say that.

That Gers mock-up musta been done on MS Paint, it's fucking disgraceful :lol:

Just about to say that.

Photoshop? MS Paint? what are these new fangled contraptions of which you speak? Surely this was done by the magic of photography, photocopying and cutting out from magazines :pierre:

Just about to say that.

Photoshop? MS Paint? what are these new fangled contraptions of which you speak? Surely this was done by the magic of photography, photocopying and cutting out from magazines :pierre:

May as well have been, that's an absolute car crash of a photo.

Not a new thing for me - I've been against the alcohol sponsors for as long as we've had them.

I like many enjoy a swally, but I'm an adult and I call a halt at putting swally company names on school age kids tops.

They're not allowed to put the name of the sponsors on kids tops. ;)

At the end of the day we can agree or disagree on moral grounds on Tennants being owned by an Irish company etc but I haven't heard of that many companies beating down our door hoping to sponsor us, so at the end of the day we got to take what we can.

At the end of the day we can agree or disagree on moral grounds on Tennants being owned by an Irish company etc but I haven't heard of that many companies beating down our door hoping to sponsor us, so at the end of the day we got to take what we can.

It's short-termism - and if our CEO or his minions can't attract a better sponsor than a local brewery (Wellpark, Dennistoun) then they're not up to the task at hand.

I'm actually more disappointed in Alastair Johnston, I thought that with his worldwide company connections he'd have lined up several top class brand names for a sponsorship deal.

Oh well, that's what I get for aiming the bar too high. :(

It's short-termism - and if our CEO or his minions can't attract a better sponsor than a local brewery (Wellpark, Dennistoun) then they're not up to the task at hand.

I'm actually more disappointed in Alastair Johnston, I thought that with his worldwide company connections he'd have lined up several top class brand names for a sponsorship deal.

Statements like that are really easy to make when all you need to do is type them into a computer. This will be the toughest year to attract a sponsor probably since they started putting adverts on shirts. You will obviously be able to tell sellck have had the exact same problem.

Multinationals with limited sponsorship budgets (comparatively speaking) are not interested currently in the SPL.

Statements like that are really easy to make when all you need to do is type them into a computer. This will be the toughest year to attract a sponsor probably since they started putting adverts on shirts. You will obviously be able to tell sellck have had the exact same problem.

Multinationals with limited sponsorship budgets (comparatively speaking) are not interested currently in the SPL.

I take the reverse angle on this one.

It's exactly at times like this when advertising budgets are at an all time low that we could attract a worldwide brand name.

We wouldn't be asking for top dollar (yen, euro or sterling) for such a deal and it could be one of those slow burn type of deals/relationships where we, and the sponsor, could revisit the deal as things pick up.

They get a club who 'potentially' will be playing in the CL next year and hopefully for years to come yet they're not paying the same prices as they would for a Man Utd, Chelsea, Juve, Real Madrid, etc and so on.

Haven't you heard.......during a recession is sometimes the best time to make money.

Think large GCL.....think large. ;)

I take the reverse angle on this one.

It's exactly at times like this when advertising budgets are at an all time low that we could attract a worldwide brand name.

We wouldn't be asking for top dollar (yen, euro or sterling) for such a deal and it could be one of those slow burn type of deals/relationships where we, and the sponsor, could revisit the deal as things pick up.

They get a club who 'potentially' will be playing in the CL next year and hopefully for years to come yet they're not paying the same prices as they would for a Man Utd, Chelsea, Juve, Real Madrid, etc and so on.

Haven't you heard.......during a recession is sometimes the best time to make money.

Think large GCL.....think large. ;)

Seems like their is a fine line between think large and thinking realistically.

The CL is dominated by the blue chip main sponsors that get shoved down your throat, the bread and bitter of the SPL just doesn’t interest large corporations, unless they are specifically trying to make an impact in the UK (like NTL were at the time). Lets wait and see what the big red T are paying before we write off the deal as a bad one.

That is the main thing here for me, I wouldn’t feel any more prestige by having coca cola on the shirt rather than tennents if tennents were paying more cash…..

I agree about the Alastair Johnston scenario, but it do we take the gamble of hopefully attracting a bigger sponsor and then at the end of the season and for the beginning of next we then find ourselves without a sponsor if we didn't find anybody willing to take the gamble, just imagine what that would do to our credibility and financial situation.

We may have the CL experience to offer, but in all honesty what else is there, yes we can talk about our proud traditions and history but do you think other companies will actually give a rat's arse about why they should be sponsoring us? At the end of the day they themselves will only be interested in what money they could possibly make, and at the end of the day I would rather have Tennents sponsoring us than taking the risk of having no sponsor at all.

Scottish Cup last season if I remember correctly didn't have a sponsor, that to me was embarrasing, I sure as hell wouldn't want our club to be in that situation.

I agree about the Alastair Johnston scenario, but it do we take the gamble of hopefully attracting a bigger sponsor and then at the end of the season and for the beginning of next we then find ourselves without a sponsor if we didn't find anybody willing to take the gamble, just imagine what that would do to our credibility and financial situation.

We may have the CL experience to offer, but in all honesty what else is there, yes we can talk about our proud traditions and history but do you think other companies will actually give a rat's arse about why they should be sponsoring us? At the end of the day they themselves will only be interested in what money they could possibly make, and at the end of the day I would rather have Tennents sponsoring us than taking the risk of having no sponsor at all.

Scottish Cup last season if I remember correctly didn't have a sponsor, that to me was embarrasing, I sure as hell wouldn't want our club to be in that situation.

I agree, Remember what happened to West Ham when XL went bust. It's not just a case of finding a lucrative long term deal, its finding a long term - financially stable - deal, We all know the perils of taking on deals with companies who are "up and coming" - Setanta comes to mind... Also I love the idea of "Orange" sponsoring us...

The majority would appear to take the line, "Fuck it - the 'T' people are here now so grab the money and to Hell with the long term strategy." (i.e. get it covered up on CL nights, etc).

I'll stick to my minority position and say that this is too parochial for a worldwide known club like ours.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead Mr Boson, full steam ahead!

The majority would appear to take the line, "Fuck it - the 'T' people are here now so grab the money and to Hell with the long term strategy." (i.e. get it covered up on CL nights, etc).

I'll stick to my minority position and say that this is too parochial for a worldwide known club like ours.

Long term strategy is to get the most money into the club humanly possible to keep us ticking over, especially now. We can’t force companies to be interested in sponsoring us.

Anyway I am sure I saw tennents on sale in Japan once….still didn't drink the muck though…… :lol:

Just about to say that.

Quite. All this techno-jargon todays yoot are using is totally confusing to me. I propose we go back to using crayons, as they were cheaper to throw on a fire and watch melt. Costs me a small fortune, all this burning etc. A new laptop every fucking day. <cr>

I agree with you to an extent CB. The parochial view of the Rangers Board particularly in this current financial climate is worrying and I think thats played a part in our financial downfall. We should be looking across the globe and expanding our presence across the globe, particularly in North America and Australasia.

That includes to just the shirt sponsor but who makes the strips as well as the state of our club shops. years ago you could go across the world and see Rangers tops sold in alla reas of the globe. now apart from Scotland you hardly see any. Its this small mindedness that costs us financially.

With the level of income (or lack of income) we can generate in Scotland we have to open up these markets and explore them. Whether it's taking the club over to these places for friendlies etc I don't know but thats what the board should be thinking off especially when we get a new owner.

Rangers as a brand can be sold over the world. you only have to look at the membership of RM to see that