Golf

kplfishtank

12 hours ago, LiviGer said:

My short game is horrendous. Well especially chipping. Putting isn't the worst. It's 50 yard and in from the green I struggle. Started using my hybrid to bump it in if I'm just off the green. Any tips on what to work on to improve chipping? 

I used to do different things mate, but work on a variety of shot options from high lob to low punch even bump and runs.

I would go down to the range for hours with markers and make up target greens.

Also challenge yourself so if you have a practice green then roll the putts after the chips, so say your hit 10 chips start saying I want to get 2/10 up m die and keep going.

I like the competitive element n worked for me. 

40 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Just back from holiday, n hopefully pick up my new putter with the coolest name on the planet - Ping Wolverine.

Putter names are getting ridiculous. I had a Taylor made Rossa monza spider bolero till last year. 

It sounds like an Italian super car 

9 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I used to do different things mate, but work on a variety of shot options from high lob to low punch even bump and runs.

I would go down to the range for hours with markers and make up target greens.

Also challenge yourself so if you have a practice green then roll the putts after the chips, so say your hit 10 chips start saying I want to get 2/10 up m die and keep going.

I like the competitive element n worked for me. 

Cool cheers mate. Will give it a go. 

11 minutes ago, LiviGer said:

Cool cheers mate. Will give it a go. 

Biggest fault with amateur golfers if that we all watch the pros and see these wonder shots flying high n stopping quick. That's not amateur golf.

Play the easiest shot with the highest percentage return. So if you are in a bunker, make sure and get out first time, if pins are tucked away play to the middle of the green, if you can putt instead of chipping then do so. Saves you so many shots.

7 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I just cannot get my head round these mega rich fuckers that drink and drive.

A fucking taxi fare aint exactly gonna ruin them now is it?

I don't know when he had surgery,I think it was quite recently.Only takes a little beer or two and the pain medication kicks in.Crazy to even consider though like you said when they have money. A.Get a driver or B.if its too far get your private jet :winnings:

11 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Biggest fault with amateur golfers if that we all watch the pros and see these wonder shots flying high n stopping quick. That's not amateur golf.

Play the easiest shot with the highest percentage return. So if you are in a bunker, make sure and get out first time, if pins are tucked away play to the middle of the green, if you can putt instead of chipping then do so. Saves you so many shots.

Aye I agree with you mate. With amateur golfers every shot is going in the hole!

Played North Berwick West links yesterday. Amazing course. Was well under my handicap going out. Coming back was a total slog in to the wind. Really struggled. Still a great day though. 

6 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Your right. But it does no harm to aspire to greatness. Get on the range and improve stuff so that the next time you aren't just chipping or putting because that's the only shot you can do.....but because it's the best shot for the actual occasion. 

Bunker shots though......just get fucking out.

Just now, cushynumber said:

Your right. But it does no harm to aspire to greatness. Get on the range and improve stuff so that the next time you aren't just chipping or putting because that's the only shot you can do.....but because it's the best shot for the actual occasion. 

Bunker shots though......just get fucking out.

I'm the same mate, even when playing my best I hated bunkers. You see the pros deliberately hitting into bunkers as they find them easy, not me, out n be happy.

Chipped in twice last night anyone looking to improve there chipping when on the course yourself drop 3 balls 20-30 yards short of the green hit one with 3 different clubs for instance 7 iron, Pw and Your highest lofted club. It's not the nicest looking shot it's the one that gets you closer. I do all my chipping with a 54 degree wedge as that's my most successful but if I don't have to lift it I will use PW or 8 iron just about getting used to it so when you are playing a medal you don't know what club to use. Just play about around a green when the course is quiet. As for bunkers just get it out!!! 

Golf Saturday and Sunday this week own course Saturday and Thornhill open Sunday. 

Played 9 holes tonight. Had been playing reasonably well before tonight. Absolutely horrific tonight. Couldn't get off the tee. Hoping it was just an off night has a have the quarter final of the club championship to play on Monday. 

Medal this morning, scored nett 3 under, should be back down to 5 after that. Never sank much, but had two huge strokes of luck off trees bouncing safely. Could do with upping my birdie chance conversion rate. Only had 3 single putts.

56 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Played pretty decent today. Scratch 81 with 5 double bogeys on my card.

Rough was wild n greens like lightning, actually putted off the 1st green ???

Few more weeks, build consistency and the cuts will come.

To be fair, Lanark greens can be scary quick. Still an 81 with those doubles means you ain't too far away. I take it the short game is taking time to come back.

9 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

To be fair, Lanark greens can be scary quick. Still an 81 with those doubles means you ain't too far away. I take it the short game is taking time to come back.

Aye it's coming slowly, main issue yesterday was off the tee, found 4 bunkers which just kills you.

Putting was ok, but def room for improvement. The greens were so quick yesterday, at many holes you were playing links style shots bouncing it way short of the green. 

Feeling good though a score is coming.