I got so much stick at Gers.

ShaneRalfRoss

I got so much stick at Gers.

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: 23 Feb 2010

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

CHARLIE ADAM's dad sat shifting uneasily in his seat.

His boy was playing for Rangers in his idea of footballing heaven.

But the fans were giving him HELL.

Adam's old man couldn't bear to sit and say nothing as the vile abuse came hurlting in his son's direction.

So he banned himself from seeing him play.

But playmaker Adam now is a Blackpool fans' favourite - and is the main reason the Seasiders are in the hunt for promotion to the Premiership.

And Adam now has a Scotland recall to look forward to when the Czech Republic visit Hampden next Wednesday.

Adam can't wait as it means his dad - Charlie senior - will get the chance to see him play again.

Adam, 24, said: "Things got to the stage for me at Rangers where my dad didn't watch me play.

"He became too frustrated sitting in the stand when people around him were giving me stick.

"That's just something which can happen in football, everybody's got an opinion. I had to deal with it and I did.

"But we look forward to each game now and he'll definitely be at Hampden for the Czech Republic match.

"I've played for Scotland before, but never in Glasgow, so it will be a proud night for my dad and my family.

"That's always been the case even when I came in for some criticism - and no one is a bigger critic than my dad.

"You just learn not to get too high when things are good and not to get too low when things are not going for you.

"But I like to think being picked for Scotland proves some people wrong. It's certainly given me a boost."

Adam quit Rangers last summer after eight years at Ibrox.

He was one of the youth team success stories.

One of the Murray Park kids who made the breakthrough - only to be shot down by the fans who should have been backing him.

Adam's confidence was dented but he's been outstanding at Blackpool where the fans worship him.

Advertisement

Adam added: "I didn't think I did badly at Rangers.

"Everyone has their ups and downs, but over the piece I thought I did well enough.

"I played in important games which we won.

"The hardest thing for me was leaving Rangers after eight years. It was a massive decision.

"It's a huge club with fantastic people there and a great manager.

"I had a contract and could still be at Ibrox now, but I had to weigh up if I was going to play or not - that's what it all boiled down to.

"At the time I simply didn't think the opportunity to play would come.

"The gaffer at Blackpool was desperate for me to sign permanently after I had been there on loan and he got the money from the chairman to make it happen.

"In the end, I decided it could be a good move for me.

"Never at any stage have I regretted that decision.

"In fact, days like today when I'm being picked for Scotland just goes to show I got it right."

Seasiders' boss Ian Holloway is now building a promotion-pushing Championship side around Adam who has natted 13 goals this season from central midfield.

And maverick Holloway is doing it with a smile on his face - while also putting one on everyone around him.

Adam grinned: "There isn't a word for the gaffer. Honestly, he's unbelievable. You see him on TV and he's just like that in person.

"But it's only when you meet him you realise how daft he is. But I look up to him, admire him and TRUST him.

"He is always there for you as a player - mainly because he mixes with all the lads like he's one of us.

"Everybody knows he likes a laugh and a joke, but when he's serious he's deadly serious. He's the reason why we're doing so well this season." But the reason Adam is part of Levein's Scotland squad is down to himself.

He added: "Playing for Scotland means the world to me.

"I made my debut against Austria when Alex McLeish was manager.

"Since then I've been to Japan and was involved for the Wales game before George Burley got sacked.

"When a new manager takes over you wonder how things are going to turn out - so to be part of Craig Levein's first squad is really fantastic.

"But I need to keep performing for Blackpool the way I have been.

"The qualifying campaign for the European Championships isn't too far away and I want to be part of that."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2864408/I-got-so-much-stick-at-Gers.html

Ill be honest and say I never thought he was good enough when he was her.

I was never comfortable with the abuse he got though...Some of it was horrific. In my old seat there was a guy that without fail, had started on him within 30 seconds of every match.

Just shows you what being played in the right position in front of a support that are 100% behind you can do for a player.

His old man has a cheek. Some of the stuff that comes out his mouth at junior games is just as bad, if not worse.

Charlie Adam did take a lot of stick, at times more than he deserved, some of it bang out of order, but that's football.

If he haden't gotten himself so fat after the 06-07 season and maintained his fitness/performance levels then i would have been happy to see him stay here.

He has found his level at a club like Blackpool though im afraid. He isnt cut out for title fights.

Another player who has benefitted

from better coaching and raised fitness levels. Personal responsibility obviously comes into it, but there is definitely an underlying problem at Ibrox which needs to be addressed by our next manager.

Maybe he had bad people around him up here where he will have more friends and knows all the nightspots and take away shops you know Supposed friends who were only hanging about for his money

I knew this was about Charlie Adam as soon as I read the title.

Your boy got stick Mr. Adam because he was a fat lazy cunt who was a good footballer but the majority of the time couldn't be arsed dragging his overweight self around the Ibrox pitch to prove it.

I don't much like it when any Rangers player gets the sort of abuse Adam got on occasions, but he was a hell of a frustrating player. He showed at times that he had some quality, but I don't think he worked hard enough to fulfill his potential for us.

Another player who has benefitted

from better coaching and raised fitness levels. Personal responsibility obviously comes into it, but there is definitely an underlying problem at Ibrox which needs to be addressed by our next manager.

Maybe he had bad people around him up here where he will have more friends and knows all the nightspots and take away shops you know Supposed friends who were only hanging about for his money

Did you skip the bit where I mentioned personal responsibility? If you don't think there is a lifestyle problem at the club, fine.

One question though, why the fuck do we pay all these managers, coaches, doctors and fitness gurus if we just leave it to the players to live like professional athletes should?

The reason Charlie Adam didn't make it at Rangers wasn't because he didn't have the talent it's because he was a lazy bastard and was about 2 and a half stone overweight. I think he got into a comfort zone at Ibrox and the move away has done him a lot of good.

I think that's what annoys fans about players like him. Everyone knew he had the talent but seemed more content to hit the bevvy and the pies. Players like Adam annoy me more than guys who are shite but give 100% e.g. big Broadfoot. If Adam had big Kirk's desire and willingness to learn he would be a regular at Ibrox

He was such an inconsistent player for us and that was what got him such a large amount of stick. Inconsistency is something he can get away with at Blackpool but any player at our club who is as inconsistent as he was is always going to come in for stick. All that interview shows is that he couldn't handle the pressure

I knew this was about Charlie Adam as soon as I read the title.

Your boy got stick Mr. Adam because he was a fat lazy cunt who was a good footballer but the majority of the time couldn't be arsed dragging his overweight self around the Ibrox pitch to prove it.

(tu)