Walter's new signings

Emerson

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we want value for money, we need to look outside of the UK.

Spot on. The Championship is a rip off, Premiership is way out of our reach, League 1 players go for as much as SPL players. Shame we only buy within the UK, our scouts are about as mobile as Steven Hawkins

Bollocks, to be honest.

What you're saying is that taking an SPL side's best player, and adding them to an already strong Rangers squad, would lessen the gap between the two teams in questions?

Bizarre logic, that.

Have you quoted the wrong person?

Nobody has suggested that point of view, we are discussing value for money. If we went and bought somebody like Wallace or Driver we are looking at over £3million.

Now even you must see that for that type of money, we could get more value for money looking outside of the UK.

You must have quoted the wrong guy PG. Think you were referring to this post-

We need to stop signing mediocre players from spl teams; it narrows the gap between them and us and weakens us more than them.

If so I do agree this is bollocks. There are afew young guys in the SPL who would improve our squad, like McCarthur, as long as they are technically up to scratch I don't see how getting a good SPL player in as a squad player would narrow the gap.

On what we were arguing- to find a player with the ability to improve our first team we would have to go abroad as the Championship and EPL are vastly overpriced.

Realistically, I would say Dorrans, Snodgrass, and Morrison are out of our reach, as sad as that may be. Tom Cairney looks an exciting prospect at Hull, and he could play for either Scotland or England. Kinda difficult thinking of anyone else off the top of my head. George Boyd?

Is James McArthur any better than Steven Davis, Maurice Edu, Kevin Thomson or even Lee McCulloch?

No, a player who would be a decent squad signing, but one who is not needed, especially when we should be looking to play Davis in a central role, and also have both Jamie Ness, and John Fleck at the club.

We won't have much money to play with, so we have to use what we have got for positions that we required strengthening; RB, CB, LB, RM/W, LM/W and upfront are positions that we need to fill.

There honestly aren't any Scottish players i'd want us to sign with our budget.

Griffiths, Dorrans, Boyd, Morrison etc. will cost a fair few bob, lots of clubs will be looking at them.

If we were going to get millions thrown at us, i'd snap up the likes of Fyvie etc. But realistically spending big money on young players is something we'll never do again...plus we don't wanna play too much good football, else Tony will never have something to greet about :sherlock:

Is James McArthur any better than Steven Davis, Maurice Edu, Kevin Thomson or even Lee McCulloch?

No, a player who would be a decent squad signing, but one who is not needed, especially when we should be looking to play Davis in a central role, and also have both Jamie Ness, and John Fleck at the club.

We won't have much money to play with, so we have to use what we have got for positions that we required strengthening; RB, CB, LB, RM/W, LM/W and upfront are positions that we need to fill.

Exactly central midfield is one of our strongest areas. The spine of our team is fine but we need better quality full backs and wingers. To do anything in Europe you need a lot of pace in your team, which we haven't got at the moment

agree with an earlier point about needing pace in the team, we were shown up in europe for having none. Miller and novo are two our quickest players and were totally outpaced by the centre halfs and fullbacks in europe. we need to 4 positions to fill, rw,rb,lw and another cf. I really want the youths to fully progress but it seems as far away now than it was 10 years aga albeit wilson. Next season wilson, fleck, wylde,ness, campbell and hemmings need to make that breakthrough from the fringes or it could be another era of wasted talent.

Hutton + Burke for me. Should never have let them go in the first place. Also needs to ensure that Boyd stays.

I agree with Hutton, Burke too

I wouldn't mind a Goodwillie...Berra Griffiths Wallace and ofcourse Dorrans but too pricey

mibyes Conway or Arfield

WILD CARD: Scott Brown belm.png

Hutton + Burke for me. Should never have let them go in the first place. Also needs to ensure that Boyd stays.

I agree with Hutton, Burke too

I wouldn't mind a Goodwillie...Berra Griffiths Wallace and ofcourse Dorrans but too pricey

mibyes Conway or Arfield

WILD CARD: Scott Brown belm.png

Burke couldn't cut it at Rangers the first time, I doubt he would be any better were he to come back

In reality we will not buy either player. One guy who I reckon we go for IF cash is available is Chris Brunt(Northern Irish aye but he's a Bear) we were linked with him last season, natural left sided player. I remember when the rumours were doing the round in the summer he was a popular choice on here, great striker of the ball, natural wide player and scores some crackers. Price would be an issue again though, as he was bought for 3m.

Brunt is gash

People can talk about looking abroad and the potential for there to be better value for money, but there is also a higher risk in terms of how a player will adapt to the Scottish culture, style of play, weather, etc, etc and sometimes they also underestimate the size of the club too.

In recent times, we only have to look at both Rothen (size of club and style of play) and Cousin (Scottish culture) to see that sometimes it just doesn't work out.

And after spending the better part of three years building and developing a squad that's nucleus is made of of British players who truly appreciate and understand what it means to play for Rangers he isn't going to tear it apart by filling the squad with foreigners now.

I'm not a betting man, but I reckon if Smith was offered two Ukrainians/Romanians/Russians with decent repuations at 1.5 million each or say S Fletcher, Snodgrass or Morrison for 3 million he'd plump for the Scot simply because their is less risk and I'd back/trust him 100% because he has shown that he knows how to manage Rangers and make them successful.

People can talk about fortune favouring the brave, we need to be a force in Europe etc, etc but over the past three years Smith has become a more careful, maticulous and shrewd manager than he was before and we are a far more successful club for it.

In reality we will not buy either player. One guy who I reckon we go for IF cash is available is Chris Brunt(Northern Irish aye but he's a Bear) we were linked with him last season, natural left sided player. I remember when the rumours were doing the round in the summer he was a popular choice on here, great striker of the ball, natural wide player and scores some crackers. Price would be an issue again though, as he was bought for 3m.

Brunt is gash

good infront of goal. Great left foot and good at set pieces. if only he put in alot more energy

Anyway to get back to the topic, there are a few Scottish players who I wouldn't mind us signing and quite a few that we should be keeping tabs on.

I think Conway and/or Snodgrass would give us a more consistant option in the wide areas than any of our current options (Lafferty, Novo, beasley and Naismith) do at the moment, and both still have time to improve their game too. Ditto Ross Wallace at Preston.

James Morrison would be a superb signing, but he'd probably cost a fair wack of money and he's had quite a few injury problems over the past year or so.

I wouldn't press for us to sign him, but if we signed Mulgrew I wouldn't be overlly dissapointed. He'd be a good addition, if not a regular starter.

As far as "talents" go I think Goodwille and Griffiths are both fantastic talents who we should be watching closely, as is Murray Davidson at St Johnstone and Craig Thomson at Hearts.

I Would love to see Kane Hemmings getting a game this year if we win the league as early as possible. I Get the rangers news each week and he seems to get alot of praise. Him & Bendiksen look like real talents.

I wish people would stop mentioning Dorrans.

He'll cost between £5m-£8m, far more than we can afford.

Absolutely. He is playing terrific in the Championship.

I'm sure Hull had a bid of £4m rejected for Ross McCormack :anguish:

I think the Pedro Mendes transfer proved we could tempt players from the EPL... if we can maybe take advantage of cash situations at some clubs, we could maybe even pick up a bargain or two somewhere along the line

What about that Fraser Fyvie, he is a marvellous player and a stick on for YPOTY.

Stealing the Sheeps' best young talent would be extra sweet.

Michael Paton is another great young talent.

I think the Pedro Mendes transfer proved we could tempt players from the EPL... if we can maybe take advantage of cash situations at some clubs, we could maybe even pick up a bargain or two somewhere along the line

would love to see someone like Nadir Belhadj come to the club.

I'd take Steven Flecther (maybe possible if Burnley go down), Graeme Dorrans (highly unlikely), Robert Snodgrass and James Morrison (maybe out of our price range).

Is it just me or am I the only one who doesn't see what the fuss is all about with Craig Conway? I don't rate him at all.