Rangers and celtc to make history with Boston friendly clash?

maxwellrfc

Celtic and Rangers are ready to take the Old Firm experience overseas with a money-spinning pre-season clash in North America.

Sportsmail can reveal that the Glasgow giants are currently considering a lucrative proposal to go head to head in Boston in July, in what would be the first time the bitter rivals have met outside Scotland.

As yet, no contracts have been signed and neither club is keen to confirm details, with sources insisting the proposition is still at the 'idea' stage.

Celtic, however, are already pencilled in to face Manchester United in Toronto on July 16 or 17, while Rangers are considering games in Miami and New York. And with both clubs making the trip across the Atlantic to finalise their preparations for next season, the notion of an Old Firm match-up in July has come from a Stateside promotions company.

The proposed venue for a match is the Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. That ground will be familiar to Celtic, who played out a 1-1 draw against New England Revolution in July 2006.

That day, a crowd of just 16,312 watched - but organisers believe the Old Firm rivalry would go some way to filling a stadium with a capacity close to 70,000.

Details have yet to be confirmed but, as both clubs seek to bolster their resources in the midst of a savage economic downturn, the project already has tentative support on both sides of the great Glasgow divide.

Celtic's clash with Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United in Canada has been all but confirmed for the Rogers Centre in Toronto, where a 50,000 full house is expected to attend.

The last idea for Scottish clubs to meet on foreign soil came in 2004, when a proposal for an SPL clash between Celtic and Hearts in Australia failed to make it past the drawing board.

North American friendlies have been a lucrative sideline for the Parkhead club in recent seasons, with their last trip ending in a 3-1defeat to Benfica in Canada just last September.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1267614/Old-Firm-Tea-Party-Rangers-Celtic-make-history-Boston-friendly-clash.html

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we can try to get a lot of North American Gers fans at the game ONLY if this works out for the OF teams to play at the Gillette Stadium.

I wish this game would be played at a neutral site. Well, this is just interesting news.

Don't be mean I would love to get a chance to see them play as I can't get to the games in Scotland. I went to the Scum vs Revolution game and Csta and I wore our Rangers scarves, supported the Revs, and sang Rangers songs. Yes the plastic paddies were out but they come out to the piggery too.

dscn0083t.jpg

Aye , right.

Lets hold an OF match in Boston , which is the centre of Irish America , so that 60,000 Paddy Yanks can show up and "prove that celtc have a much bigger worldwide fanbase". No doubt the Bheasts will be right up for that.

:rolleyes:

How fucking naive can they get? Boston??! They have no idea what they're setting themselves up for. The city is teeming with rhat bastards that would be crawling out of their holes to support that manky lot if they played us there. Even though I'd kill to have the Gers play in Boston against some other team (I'm only 40 miles from the city), playing THEM would guarantee we'd be outgunned by a wide margin and things could get very dicey for the Bears who go in to see the match (I've had a few encounters in Boston I'd rather forget because of those filth). Bad idea.

No thanks... The Old Firm game has already lost some of its prestige with being played so often in Scotland live on TV, never mind making it a friendly in a country that couldn't care less about football.