Martin Jol stays at Ajax

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

I can't understand why anybody would leave Ajax for Fulham. <cr>

It's the best league ever to have graced this planet.

I can't understand why anybody would leave Ajax for Fulham. <cr>

Ajax are mediocre & on there way down

Fulham are a good side who are on the up

theres 2 reasons

No danger.

Fulham were "good" because of Roy Hodgson and his negative tactics. Whoever comes in won't emulate what Hodgson did. It was a one off run to the Europa League final.

Ajax are better than Fulham and unlike Fulham, they'll be in European competitions every year. They're a like club with great traditions. An unbelievable history.

He's had talks now, looks as if he's heading to the cottage. Just shows the lure of the EPL. Champions league football and a good shot at winning the eredivisie swapped for mid table in England... :anguish:

I was shocked when Jol was sacked by Spurs as I thought he was a good manager, he would be a good appointment by Fulham (tu)

So was I <cr> I really liked him as Spurs manager, and hopefully doesn't go to Fulham :)

Martin Jol is set to be named as Fulham's new manager later this week, BBC Sport understands.

The 54-year-old Ajax coach has had preliminary talks with the London club but will speak to Fulham officials later this week to negotiate a deal.

Jol managed Tottenham between 2004 and 2007 and will replace Roy Hodgson, who joined Liverpool on 1 July.

Ivory Coast coach Sven-Goran Eriksson had also been linked with the vacancy at Craven Cottage.

There will be no official appointment before the Fulham squad leave for their 10-day pre-season tour to Sweden on Monday but Jol is expected to fly out to join the party.

United States coach Bob Bradley and Switzerland's Ottmar Hitzfeld were other names in the running, but Hitzfeld ruled himself out of contention and a statement from the United States Soccer Federation outlined its intention to extend Bradley's current contract.

Jol, who was sacked by Spurs in October 2007, still owns a house in England and reports have suggested the Dutchman would be given rolling contract.

Although Fulham reached the Europa League final in May, Ajax will be playing Champions League football in September providing they come through qualifying.

They were pipped to the Dutch league title last season by FC Twente, who were managed by former England boss Steve McClaren.

Eriksson is thought to have held talks with Fulham but the Swede revealed last week that he was considering a lucrative offer to stay on as Ivory Coast head coach.

While its ambitious from Fulham, it isn't by Jol IMO.

Ajax to Fulham (td)

Why is Jol so surprised Ajax are selling their best players?

They have always been a selling team.

Even when they won the Champions league not many of those players stuck around.

His job is to use the youth team, and find another star.

Great appointment if it comes through.

Jol may be thinking he has unfinished business in England after the Spurs sacking, but it does seem to be a step down. Fulham had a great run last year but it doesn't mean they're going to be a force in Europe from now on, they're not even in Europe this season.

Staying at Ajax.

Fulham are keen to move quickly to bring in a new manager now that Martin Jol has been ruled out of the frame.

Jol confirmed on Thursday he will stay on at Ajax next season, despite being widely linked with a move to Craven Cottage.

The Cottagers have revealed that after agreeing personal terms with their top target, their hopes of signing him were dashed by the Eredivisie club's determination to hold on to the 54-year-old.

"On Thursday morning, following talks with Ajax, the club can confirm that it has ceased negotiations for the release of Martin Jol from his contract with the Dutch club," said a statement on Fulham's official website.

"Although Fulham had agreed personal terms with Martin Jol, Ajax were not willing to allow him to leave under any circumstances, and have held him to the terms of the contract he signed last summer.

"When Fulham commenced negotiations with Martin Jol, the club was informed that an exit clause existed in his contract with Ajax.

"Subsequent negotiations revealed that the clause was no longer valid and Ajax's position remained steadfast in their desire to keep their manager, therefore dialogue between the two clubs has now ended."

Potential

Fulham have drawn up a shortlist of potential managers to fill the post left vacant by former boss Roy Hodgson, who joined Liverpool, and are keen to appoint a new man sooner rather than later.

"Since Roy Hodgson indicated that he wanted to leave Fulham, a shortlist of potential managers was identified, and the club is committed to ensuring that the right candidate is brought on board to continue the club's progress, in the soonest timeframe possible," the statement continued.

"The chairman and CEO would also like to personally thank Ajax for their conduct throughout this very public process.

"Ray Lewington will remain in charge of all first-team matters as caretaker manager and the club would like to thank Ray, his backroom staff and all the players for their patience and professionalism ahead of the 2010/11 Premier League season."

thank god for martin jol, after this summers activities im glad someone has rekindled my faith in football and showed money isnt everything and turned down a diddy wee club to stay at one of the worlds finest intituations....kris boyd take note!

I don't think his decision to stay has anything to do with Ajax being a bigger club.

Ajax don't want him to leave and have said they wont let him go.

Going by his interview on SSN he really wanted to join Fulham.

I don't think his decision to stay has anything to do with Ajax being a bigger club.

Ajax don't want him to leave and have said they wont let him go.

Going by his interview on SSN he really wanted to join Fulham.

hey man dont ruin it