Jelavic has arrived at Murray Park

Mansion

James Beattie has had a few games in pre-season, not had one training session with Rangers, has not got used to his new team mates, just settling in and people are saying he won't score x amount of goals.

Give him a a chance.

It certainly wouldnt shock me if Rangers went back in a couple of weeks if Villa put Rapid out.

That would mean Jelavic could still play in Europe, and with no European football, and another season of Austrian football on the horizon on a couple of grand a week, Id expect any contract problems may be easier to resolve.

Just heard Ally on the radio there saying it's 'not dead, but on the back-burner for the moment.' I don't know what to make of that but it seems there may be a glimmer of hope.

Kind of goes along with what I was thinking

Would actually be surprised if we never made another effort

James Beattie has had a few games in pre-season, not had one training session with Rangers, has not got used to his new team mates, just settling in and people are saying he won't score x amount of goals.

Give him a a chance.

Take this sense elsewhere! :pipe:

Can't believe this thread is still going strong lol

It's up to the lad himself isn't it? Betcha he signs just before the end of the window -- when he realizes the famous Glasgow Rangers are the best deal around.

ffs. Someone should send him the transcript of the James Beattie interview. If that won't convince him about moving here, nothing will?

We'd be some force with him in our side -- and of course, the winger(s) 'issue' -- sorted.

Beattie looked off the pace, but that's about it. I'm still convinced he'll do well.

Aye quite true Kev... The lad that posted the pics today said it was pretty obvious at the match. Sadly, I am confined to watching The Rangers some 4,000 miles away :-(

Walt said he has only had 2 half games with the Stoke reserves? He must have been right out of favour there.

Anyone know what it was that caused the Beattie bust up? Doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to cause trouble.

Aye quite true Kev... The lad that posted the pics today said it was pretty obvious at the match. Sadly, I am confined to watching The Rangers some 4,000 miles away :-(

Walt said he has only had 2 half games with the Stoke reserves? He must have been right out of favour there.

Anyone know what it was that caused the Beattie bust up? Doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to cause trouble.

Its not just the little amount of games though which will have made him look out of place, but the fact that our pre season games were probably a lot more competitive than his were, ours always seem to be, which would see our players at a higher level than him, given time I think he will improve, I hope he will improve and he will hopefully bang in a few goals!

Its not just the little amount of games though which will have made him look out of place, but the fact that our pre season games were probably a lot more competitive than his were, ours always seem to be, which would see our players at a higher level than him, given time I think he will improve, I hope he will improve and he will hopefully bang in a few goals!

Cheers mate... Makes sense. (tu)

Been reading this thread for ages so have to comment on it!

Really hope jelavic signs, keeping my fingers crossed, those doubting beattie, yes he was a yard off the pace today, but that's got to be expected with it being his first competitive game of the season.

was all the players first competitive game of the season :wink:

but know what you mean. after a few matches and some tough training sessions, he'll be fine!

No we don't

We need a Jelavic type of player

What exactly is a "Jelavic" type of player?

Some people on here - not necessarily yourself - have become so hooked on getting Jela that they believe him to be some sort of bloody messiah.

What exactly is a "Jelavic" type of player?

Some people on here - not necessarily yourself - have become so hooked on getting Jela that they believe him to be some sort of bloody messiah.

i feel the same,jelavic this jelavic that,if he signs for us well fair enough, then i will start to include him in my rangers fantasy team,but for now i will get behind the actual players who are contributing to this title defence.

No we don't

We need a Jelavic type of player

We can't afford a Jelavic type of player (whatever the hell that is) and a winger or two if the stories about Benalouane are to be believed.

If that's the case, I'm happy to go with Beattie, Fleck, Naismith, Lafferty, Miller and Loy up front as long as we buy a winger or two.

says in the NOTW (not the most reliable source) that the move is back on and could be completed as early as next wee. I wont change my sig until Walter says this deal is off. I still have faith :)

as big marvin would say... keep believing! :BELM::uk:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8914733.stm

Rangers manager Walter Smith says the Ibrox club will be trying hard to sign more players before the closure of the transfer window.

Smith gave a debut to James Beattie in the opening day Scottish Premier League win over Kilmarnock, the striker being Rangers' only summer capture so far.

"You can see today that we do need additions to our squad," Smith told BBC Scotland after the 2-1 win.

"Hopefully, we'll try and get them over the next two weeks."

A proposed move for Rapid Vienna's Croatian striker, Nikica Jelavic, has hit stumbling blocks, but Smith's assistant Ally McCoist earlier told Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme that the deal was not completely dead.

"It's certainly on the back burner at the moment because there are one or two things that can't be finalised and there's one or two problems there," said McCoist.

"It's certainly on the back burner at the moment, I wouldn't say it's dead.

I think James Beattie showed that he will be a valuable addition to our group

Rangers manager Walter Smith

"We've made enquiries for players, we're certainly interested in players, we need to bring players in, we want to bring players in and we will bring players.

"We need to give our lads a hand, that goes without saying. We need to give the supporters a little bit of a boost as well. We're certainly doing everything we can to bring new additions to our squad."

Goals from Kenny Miller and Steven Naismith gave Rangers victory over Killie, who registered their goal with a penalty by Jamie Hamill.

And Smith was pleased with the contribution of 32-year-old Beattie, who only started after illness prevented Steven Davis from featuring.

"Overall, you're always delighted to get the first game of the season under your belt and it was one of those games where I felt we could've gone on to get some more goals but didn't do so and, in the end, we're delighted to win," Smith said.

"He has only played two halves for the reserves.

"When you consider that most of our boys have had half-a-dozen games now, he's well behind the rest.

"So hopefully, with training and the extra games over the next few weeks, it'll bring him up to speed, but I think he showed that he will be a valuable addition to our group."

Looks like it cetainly isnt dead.