Beattie: I'm the new Boyd

JAMES BEATTIE swept into Rangers last night and boldly vowed to replace Kris Boyd.

Beattie, 32, became Walter Smith's first signing in TWO YEARS.

The hitman arrived in a £1million deal from Stoke.

And asked if he could score the goals Boyd did for Rangers, Beattie said: "Yeah, I think so.

"I have always been confident in my ability. We'll need to see, but I believe I can do that.

"People will always make comparisons between strikers and this won't be any different.

"I could sit here and say the hunger to score goals and do well is still there, which I know it is.

"But I need to show that out on the pitch - actions speak louder than words."

Asked what Gers fans can expect from him, Beattie added: "Hopefully goals. A big part of my game is working hard and making sure defenders don't get time to settle on the ball.

"I also think my aerial threat is very good, if I do say so myself.

"But as an older player, I've learned how to create space for myself and for others. Hopefully I can do that here."

Beattie, frozen out at Stoke after a bust-up with gaffer Tony Pulis, has signed a two-year deal, with the option of a further 12 months.

He is set to make his debut against Kilmarnock at Ibrox today and said: "The expectations and demands were outlined by the gaffer when he talked to me. That's something I relish and I look forward to it very much. Being a striker and a goalscorer, there is always pressure on you to produce the goods and there is no better stage than this.

"It's the biggest club in Scotland and one of the biggest clubs in Europe."

Beattie admits he jumped at the chance of moving to Rangers, with the lure of the Champions League a massive attraction.

He said: "It's a fantastic opportunity.

"Obviously we don't know who we'll be playing yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

"It will be my first time in the Champions League and I'll look upon it as something very special in my career.

"One of the things the gaffer told me was that the Old Firm game is just crazy.

"As a player it's one of the games you want to play in and I'm looking forward to it.

"I'm thrilled to be here. I've signed a two-year deal with a year option.

"The incentive is there for me. If I play 30 games in the second season I get an extra year and I'll be looking to do that."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3095508/Beattie-Im-the-new-Boydy.html#ixzz0wX8ClYhS

Just shows what kind of pish the SUn rabbles, but at least he has confidence and thinks he can score goals :)

He seems to be an honest, & open guy. No BS with him. Telling it like it is -- including the 'I have to do it on the pitch' stuff.

Can't wait for the Killie match now. Well, couldn't wait anyway.. but I'm sure he will feature.

Another gem...

"Obviously we don't know who we'll be playing yet, but I'm looking forward to it..."

Notice how he uses "WE" already? Many new players will say Rangers -- or their team etc. He's got this right -- first time.

Class.

beattie and miller will ragdoll that sorry state of a mhank defence,they are absolutely howling!

Your fuckin' too right mate, that celtic defence against Beattie and Miller? ha :lol:. welcome James :beattie:

Its going to be good to see how Beattie does, hes never played at a team like this IMO.

Not just in stature etc but the way we play and the way teams set up against us.

He will be getting chance after chance with us, compared to when he was at Stoke, Sheffield, Southampton when he didnt get as many chances...

I just hope we dont end up humping long balls up front all day for him to try and flick on!

Its going to be good to see how Beattie does, hes never played at a team like this IMO.

Not just in stature etc but the way we play and the way teams set up against us.

He will be getting chance after chance with us, compared to when he was at Stoke, Sheffield, Southampton when he didnt get as many chances...

I just hope we dont end up humping long balls up front all day for him to try and flick on!

Without any natural width, I fear that will become our main weapon.

Without any natural width, I fear that will become our main weapon.

We might not have any out and out wingers but we score a lot of headers...Cup final Millers header, Naisy cross...Newcastle game, Miller header from a Whittaker cross are 2 that come to mind.