Smith will waste our time with Weiss

CanadianBacon

Naismith has performed on the left this season, he has also played up top. No reason to completely change the team to accomodate Weiss.

Weiss - Davis - Edu - Naismith

Weiss - Davis - Edu - Lafferty

_______Naismith__Miller_______

Pretty simple. This playing McCulloch and Edu in the middle of the park in the SPL is a fcuking joke, it does not work.

I dont understand why you say it doesn't work - we have only drawn one game domestically all season and only loss was in CL away and that partnership was there for a good number of these games. It clearly works - is your question not really - could it be better? (Pedantic Loyal). I am not 100% convinced by Davis in the middle - certainly earlier in the season he flattered to decieve there but does seem effective on the right with the freedom to drift inside (also keeps us solid defensively on the right if he is played there).

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of which side he plays, as long as he insists on only going onto his right side he will be ineffective. The defenders know after ten minutes exactly where he is going. Try and beat them on the left foot once and even if you lose the ball at least it puts some doubt in the defender about which way you might go. Far too predictable given what i was told to expect. His right foot delivaries dont fill me full of confidence either, given the amount of stick i gave that cunt Mcgreedy about having no end product i cant stick up for the lad too much. I hope he proves me wrong right enough. Naisy certainly has so far this term.

Davie Cooper only had a left peg.All his managers played him on the left wing for a reason.He was so fuc*ing good with his left foot it made sense to play him in the position that favoured his strong points.

Weiss is predominantly right footed and if you play him on the right where he can use his pace to get by defenders then more often than not he will perform.

SAdly though this "left wing" position is the bogey one that has seen Fleck,Lafferty and now Weiss all suffer as a result of being pigeon holed in to a position they clearly do not like and do not perform at their best in.

Davie Cooper only had a left peg.All his managers played him on the left wing for a reason.He was so fuc*ing good with his left foot it made sense to play him in the position that favoured his strong points.

Weiss is predominantly right footed and if you play him on the right where he can use his pace to get by defenders then more often than not he will perform.

SAdly though this "left wing" position is the bogey one that has seen Fleck,Lafferty and now Weiss all suffer as a result of being pigeon holed in to a position they clearly do not like and do not perform at their best in.

he aint faster on the right than the left though, he just needs to get stuck in and maybe try simple passes, i know he is right footed and maybe better on the right but if he stopped the tricks or flicks to beat a guy he might actually do better as i have seen the easy pass for him but he dont use it

It's on the right or not at all for weiss. Lafferty has taken over 2 years of playing with us to start putting in consistent performances from LM! We only have weiss for another 7 months or so! Play him where he's meant to be played or just send him back!

It's on the right or not at all for weiss. Lafferty has taken over 2 years of playing with us to start putting in consistent performances from LM! We only have weiss for another 7 months or so! Play him where he's meant to be played or just send him back!

so basically weiss is a one trick pony if he can only do one thing, he can never switch sides during a game, hes right footed so its the right side or nothing then

he aint faster on the right than the left though, he just needs to get stuck in and maybe try simple passes, i know he is right footed and maybe better on the right but if he stopped the tricks or flicks to beat a guy he might actually do better as i have seen the easy pass for him but he dont use it

He is faster on the right because he knows he can go full pace at the defender confident that he can cross the ball on the run with his right foot.

On the left he is not as confident hence why he keeps dropping inside.

It has to be said though that on the left he isn't helped by the fact that Papac isn't overlapping as often as a full back should when he is forced inside.

On the right he will have Whittaker providing an overlap.

He won't play on the right though as that will force Smith to break up the Edu/McCulloch partnership which he isn't going to do.

He is faster on the right because he knows he can go full pace at the defender confident that he can cross the ball on the run with his right foot.

On the left he is not as confident hence why he keeps dropping inside.

It has to be said though that on the left he isn't helped by the fact that Papac isn't overlapping as often as a full back should when he is forced inside.

On the right he will have Whittaker providing an overlap.

He won't play on the right though as that will force Smith to break up the Edu/McCulloch partnership which he isn't going to do.

i dont know why mculloch dont just stay back and edu pushes up instead of mculloch trying to make things happen, i believe thats what is wrong, no urgency so he goes upfield and is caught out, hence the second half was less of an issue, as far as weiss, is it down to that then, his confidence, maybe he thought he would rip the spl to bits and it aint coming of for the lad

People mention when he was playing on the left yesterday he was coming in, well he did that an awful lot rather than try and take a player on or make a pass, BUT, he also did this when he was on the right yesterday, running across the front of the defense rather than trying to take a player on or play a pass.

Only advantage we got from it is that he was eventually brought down on a couple of occasions and got us a free kick.

I dont understand why you say it doesn't work - we have only drawn one game domestically all season and only loss was in CL away and that partnership was there for a good number of these games. It clearly works - is your question not really - could it be better? (Pedantic Loyal). I am not 100% convinced by Davis in the middle - certainly earlier in the season he flattered to decieve there but does seem effective on the right with the freedom to drift inside (also keeps us solid defensively on the right if he is played there).

It doesn't work, yesterday was yet another example. The first half performance was a disgrace, the midfield, McCulloch especially could not get near the ball. There is no-one in the middle to put their foot on the ball and keep a hold of it and massive gaps between defence and attack appear. Luckily, St. Mirren were dreadful in that department and didn't really trouble us.

Davis had a poor start to the season in the middle, but he's offers so much more form a central position. We seen it yesterday when he started to get on the ball and moved inside.

In the first few pages in this thread I mentioned that Davis will no doubt be shunted out on to the right, to accomodate certain players - we are so predictable in our tactics, selection and performances and that is a reason why we struggle for long periods of games. You can mention the start to the season we have had, but that still doesn't take away the poor performances and the areas of the park that are struggling. We seem to be happy to just sit and grind out results and it's no suprise that some of our better performances have come with McCulloch out the team and the Edu - McCulloch partnership broken up.

It's either or alongside Davis, until then, we will see plenty performances like the 1st half of yesterday's game, as we have already done this season.

TBF I have been a bit disappointed with how he has been used so far. One of the main reasons City were keen to give him to us on loan was the prospect of Champions League football but he has only played in 1 game so far (pretty sure its only been one Champs League game he has played in), I would like to see us use him more in the European games, even as a half time sub. I hope we dont look back on his time here and think "what if"?

On the whole we play against packed defences in the spl and cry out for a winger to get beyond the defence to cause them problems by making them turn. Playing Weiss on the right would give him a chance to dod that instead of the ineffectual crosses or shots that he has to play cutting in from the left.

It is irrelevant anyway because Walter does not like to play with width from forwarda or midfielders and will always ask these players to cut inside.

It doesn't work, yesterday was yet another example. The first half performance was a disgrace, the midfield, McCulloch especially could not get near the ball. There is no-one in the middle to put their foot on the ball and keep a hold of it and massive gaps between defence and attack appear. Luckily, St. Mirren were dreadful in that department and didn't really trouble us.

Davis had a poor start to the season in the middle, but he's offers so much more form a central position. We seen it yesterday when he started to get on the ball and moved inside.

In the first few pages in this thread I mentioned that Davis will no doubt be shunted out on to the right, to accomodate certain players - we are so predictable in our tactics, selection and performances and that is a reason why we struggle for long periods of games. You can mention the start to the season we have had, but that still doesn't take away the poor performances and the areas of the park that are struggling. We seem to be happy to just sit and grind out results and it's no suprise that some of our better performances have come with McCulloch out the team and the Edu - McCulloch partnership broken up.

It's either or alongside Davis, until then, we will see plenty performances like the 1st half of yesterday's game, as we have already done this season.

In the second half Lafferty (despite NOT being a LW :lol: ) managed to give us the width we were crying out for (and for whatever reason Weiss could not provide) - and yet by having Edu and McCulloch in the middle we looked solid - and I have to say I do think great football teams are built on a solid defence first - flair and attack second (although GREAT teams do have both - but IMHO defence comes first).

I disagree that McCulloch never got near the ball on Sat. I think he saw a lot of the ball and one of the reasons St Mirren were ineffectual ALL game was the work Lee did in breaking their midfiled up - a job I think he is far better suited to than Edu. The job Lee is asked to do fo us is thankless, but he does it well - he breaks up that first wave of attack. I like him in that role. Sometimes I would like Walter to be more flamboyant with his selections but I do prefer winning to losing and if both Edu and Lee are playing we are definately solid - we might not win 9-0 in the odd game but it aint about winning one game - its about winning the SPL and our basic plan works time and again which is why we have only lost 2 points domestically.

Some would argue it does work though, as we have not lost a game all season domestically...

That's what bugs me: just because we are winning games and are top of the league, it all of a sudden means that we can't point out the teams' weaknesses, as that is just being ungrateful and we should be content with where we are. True to an extent, but everyone can see where we are going wrong.

I can't see him getting a game on the right, as Davis is a lot better on the right than in the middle, and Edu and Big Lee have formed a decent enough partnership. Not much flair between them but solid.

Davis is better in the middle and the Edu - McCulloch partnership is crap. This is Rangers we are talking about, not some shite like Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell and we play in the SPL, not La Liga, Premiership, Bundesliga etc - far too much respect and negativity in our play and selectiuon at times.

We finally get in a winger, a right sided one, yet we play him out of position. Seen it all too often with many players; Aaron, Rothen, Novo, Fleck... in recent seasons, yet we wonder why it doesn't work and the players fail to perform at times.

You get plenty players playing out of position and it does work, however, playing Weiss on the left does not, a blind man can see that, yet we continue to do so. If Weiss is going to continue to play on the left, then we may aswell leave him out or send him back to Manchester City - a complete and utter waste of a player. One thing I will not miss when Walter Smith leaves, although there is a good chance it will continue under Ally McCoist.

Davis is better in the middle and the Edu - McCulloch partnership is crap. This is Rangers we are talking about, not some shite like Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell and we play in the SPL, not La Liga, Premiership, Bundesliga etc - far too much respect and negativity in our play and selectiuon at times.

We finally get in a winger, a right sided one, yet we play him out of position. Seen it all too often with many players; Aaron, Rothen, Novo, Fleck... in recent seasons, yet we wonder why it doesn't work and the players fail to perform at times.

You get plenty players playing out of position and it does work, however, playing Weiss on the left does not, a blind man can see that, yet we continue to do so. If Weiss is going to continue to play on the left, then we may aswell leave him out or send him back to Manchester City - a complete and utter waste of a player. One thing I will not miss when Walter Smith leaves, although there is a good chance it will continue under Ally McCoist.

Who will play on the left if Weiss is on the right? Lafferty, a player who is finally starting to find form playing through the middle?

Pushing him back out there will dent his confidence, and not soon before long people will be hounding him again. We are unbeaten domestically, and have only been beaten once in Europe. This is not the Rangers of 10-15 years ago - the days of £12m on a player are long gone and will never return. The players we have are of a good enough standard to win the league and keep the Champions league money flowing in, so that will be the standard of player who we will be targeting. It might be a hard pill to swallow but we will all have to get used to it.

• 3 months later...