Man U eyeing up McGregor

trueblue68

says the sun

MANCHESTER UNITED are eyeing £5million-rated Rangers keeper Allan McGregor.

Old Trafford superscout Martin Ferguson, brother of boss Sir Alex, watched the Scotland No1 at Hampden on Tuesday.

McGregor, 28, pulled off a string of stunning saves in the Euro 2012 clash with world champions Spain.

And he's now on the Old Trafford radar as Fergie seeks a long-term replacement for veteran Edwin van der Sar.

SunSport understands United have also watched Ajax's Maarten Stekelenburg, Atletico Madrid's David de Gea and Manuel Neuer of Schalke.

But all three keepers carry £20m price tags and McGregor has emerged as a lower-cost alternative for a club saddled with debts of £716m.

McGregor's Ibrox contract runs until 2013 and Gers have offered him a new five-year deal to stay with the champs.

The keeper is in the form of his life after Champions League clean sheets at Old Trafford and against Bursaspor.

His heroics against Spain followed a world-class stop from Jan Polak in Scotland's loss in the Czech Republic on Friday.

McGregor also produced a string of stunning saves in the 3-0 friendly defeat against Sweden in Stockholm in August.

United are looking for a new No 1 with van der Sar, 40 this month, set to retire at the end of the season.

Gers team-mate Steven Naismith says McGregor has taken over from £9m Sunderland ace Gordon as Scotland's first-choice keeper.

And he is shocked that no Premier League giants have already tried to nab McGregor from Ibrox.

He said: "Allan is up there with the best in the game now. To be honest I'm surprised no other club has come in to try and buy him from Rangers.

"He's been fantastic for us ever since I've been at the club.

"En route to the UEFA Cup Final with Rangers some of his saves were absolutely tremendous. He's carried that on since then.

"He's had his problems off the park, but he's learned from them.

"He's now Scotland No1 and while big Craig is a top keeper too, it's roles reversed for the two of them now.

"When you look at the likes of Arsenal needing a keeper it's unbelievable no one has come in for him.

"I'm not complaining though. The longer Allan stays at Rangers the better it is for the club.

"It's been great for the manager to call on Allan. Some of his saves in the Czech Republic were terrific and against Spain he was really good.

"We have two good goalies here and that's great."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/football/3179345/Fergie-set-to-swoop-for-Al.html#ixzz12Hfyk9fw

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Manchester United are poised to make a bid for Aalesunds goalkeeper Anders Lindgaard in January."" a qoute from BBC.

Good job it's only a 'qoute' they must still be wanting McGregor then. Thankful it's not a quote to be honest, put my mind at rest there mate.

Good job it's only a 'qoute' they must still be wanting McGregor then. Thankful it's not a quote to be honest, put my mind at rest there mate.

so u would rather McGregor be gone than man.u snappin up the lad fae denmark ???????????????