Craig Whyte on transfers and winning the league

Boab

Craig Whyte says he and Ally McCoist are on the same wavelength as they plot a new future for Rangers next season.

The club's owner and forthcoming manager have spoken on a number of occasions since the takeover of the Light Blues was completed on May 6.

After seeing Sasa Papac sign a new deal, McCoist is keen to retain the likes of David Weir, David Healy and Andrew Little, all of whom are reaching the end of their contracts too.

He also wants to bring in new faces to add much-needed depth to the pool he is inheriting - and Whyte has reiterated his desire to grant him his wish.

The 39-year-old said: "Ally has said himself he has a hard act to follow but we have spoken and he is confident he can achieve great things next season.

"We've talked a few times now and we are making plans for next season. He has some targets in mind and as I've said before, I support him in what he wants to do.

"Next season is hopefully going to be great and we are looking to keep as much of the team together as we possibly can.

"We're going to be getting a few new signings in as well so I think it's going to be very exciting."

When he looks back at his first week in power at Ibrox, Whyte will surely always reflect on it with a wry smile.

Just nine days after he bought Sir David Murray's majority shareholding in the club, he saw the team romp to a stunning championship win with a 5-1 final-day win at Kilmarnock.

Following 4-0 and 2-0 victories against Hearts and Dundee United, the occasion was one Whyte certainly savoured.

He added: "The whole day was absolutely amazing. To score three goals in the first six minutes was brilliant and we basically won the league in that period.

"I was very nervous going into the match and I was worried about it going down to the final few minutes.

"Fortunately the team was very good and to get the game finished as quickly as they did was great. It was a fantastic afternoon.

"What Walter Smith has achieved has been phenomenal and winning the league and getting three in a row gave him a great send off. He will be remembered as a legend."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20110518/were-on-the-same-page_2254024_2362276

Dont show Spangles this it might push him over the edge. :sherlock:

:lol:

but very good news. i really like how Whyte is coming out an expressing his feelings. Well done. About time we had a chairman who came out and spoke to the fans.

Great news by the sounds of it! I love how they intend on keeping the base of this squad together... better to build on what we have than start from scratch (tu)

FFS i had forgotten about Andrew Little ! Why do we keep him ?! He's older than Wylde, Fleck,... and yet doesn't manage to get more than 2,3 games a season <cr>

FFS i had forgotten about Andrew Little ! Why do we keep him ?! He's older than Wylde, Fleck,... and yet doesn't manage to get more than 2,3 games a season <cr>

No idea why Ally seems so desperate to keep Andrew Little. He's 22 and has played less than 15 senior games, and he's looked murder almost every time he's played for us

Andy Little would have played a lot more this season if he hadn't been injured for the ast 6 months