• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fresh from the BBC:

Craig Conway chooses Cardiff City over Rangers

Page last updated at 13:26 GMT, Tuesday, 21 June 2011 14:26 UK

By Jim Spence

BBC Scotland

Conway made 137 appearances for United during his time on Tayside

Cardiff City have beaten Rangers in the race to sign out-of-contract Scotland winger Craig Conway.

The former Dundee United winger says he has agreed terms with Cardiff City and will have a medical in the next few days with the Championship side.

"I was really impressed by [Cardiff manager] Malky Mackay when I met him when he was manager at Watford," Conway, 26, told BBC Scotland.

Cardiff, who face a big rebuilding process, have refused to comment.

Conway's agent, Mark Donaghy, held talks with Rangers last week but no offer was made by the Ibrox club.

New Cardiff manager Mackay was keen to sign Conway during his time as Watford manager.

Conway was signed for Dundee United by then manager Craig Brewster in June 2006.

He has made two appearances for Scotland and scored two goals in Utd's 3-0 win over Ross County in the 2010 Scottish Cup final.

Along with Rangers and Watford, he had been a target for a number of English clubs including Leicester City and Leeds United.

Well that's another one missed out on!!!

Q. If Bain was still in the hotseat would we have signed Conway?

No.

Unless he fancied Bain and said he wanted to play for free, nothing would have been different.

Anybody else get the feeling we are just chancing our arm by offering low wages to bosmans as squad fillers, keeping more money in the kitty for the quality couple of players we need. I get the impression Mr McCoist is not overly fussed about missing out on these players, maybe I am just being optimistic.

What was he at Murray Park for a buffet lunch?

Talks. Just because he was at Murray Park doesn't mean that an offer had to be made!

Don't understand all this 'egg on face' pish. We lost on Hemed - a player no-one on here had seen play. He chose La Liga and Mallorca ahead of The Rangers, it happens, and a dud (Conway is pish), without even offering him a deal.

We didn't even offer him a contract FFS! What the fuck is going on at Ibrox, seriously? All we need is Danns to knock us back now and make it the 'egg on face' hat-trick.

Deals can fall through for a variety of reasons,ranging from wages,signing on fee,length of contract etc.

Imo better being cautious and bringing in players who can improve the 1st team than signing average squad players.

Be patient.

Admins, can we have a quota on the number of squealing wee girlies in a thread at any one time please?

The number of drama queens with pish-stained panties in here is just fucking ridiculous. So we didn't offer a contract to a potential freebie from Dundee Utd? So what?

Ally drew up an A-List and a B-List of potential targets. If Conway was anything other than near the bottom of the B-List, I would be well surprised.

Craig Conway chooses Cardiff City over Rangers

Conway's agent, Mark Donaghy, held talks with Rangers last week but no offer was made by the Ibrox club.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If Mccoist really wanted him in , alarming

If he wasnt that bothered then Im ok with that

However the fact that we were following Hemed and Conway since January suggests they were of major interest

To me it seems that we are low-balling players. I know we are not going to pay over the odds but you gotta pay a guy what he is worth. Just becuase we dont think a guy is worth that much, if others teams are offering it then he basically is. I don;t think we should get caught up in that too much but if we want any sort of 1/2 decent player then we might have to pay the market rate(even if it is more than we wanted).

No great loss here move on ...........

No great loss!?!??!? Well he is better than what we have at the moment in that position and he is a free agent. I am not saying he is great or anything but when you don't have to pay a fee for a guy who will improve your squad then I see that as a loss. I know there are many better players out there BUT they are gonna cost us a transfer fee AND similar if not more wages.

Canuck

Yeah hes that great the only team that came in for him for FREE is Cardiff and the reason he went is because they can give him more wages Rangers .

Like i said no great loss , will be back at Falkirk or St Mirren in a year

We didn't even offer him a contract FFS! What the fuck is going on at Ibrox, seriously? All we need is Danns to knock us back now and make it the 'egg on face' hat-trick.

how could conway knock back an offer that wasnt made? the agent played a part as we no doubt and conway's boyhood team were the scum apperently so i wasnt expecting him to sign

Canuck

Yeah hes that great the only team that came in for him for FREE is Cardiff and the reason he went is because they can give him more wages Rangers .

I hear ya and know what you mean, but do we have better wingers than him at the moment? I dont think we do (Wylde is still young)I just think that wingers that will be better than him are gonna cost of 2-4 million plus wages that are better than what he was offered. Do we have 2-4 mil to put into that area??? I just meant that he was a free, cheaper option who would improve us at least a bit.

In 12 months time, he'll be 'terrorising' the SPL again playing for the mighty st midden!

Imo Ally just targeted these two players (Hemed and Conway) as a smoke screen. Our real buisness will be done behind doors the way it used to be done!

Last point , Dunny mate you got ONE wrong :craphead:

In 12 months time, he'll be 'terrorising' the SPL again playing for the mighty st midden!

Imo Ally just targeted these two players (Hemed and Conway) as a smoke screen. Our real buisness will be done behind doors the way it used to be done!

Last point , Dunny mate you got ONE wrong :craphead:

I hope to god you're right!

Canuck

I agree he is no loss but he did not choose Cardiff because they can offer more money than Rangers; he chose Cardiff because we didn't offer anything at all. Wasn't really a choice.