Ally Targets A Marquee Signing!

RFC55

as far as I know the term marquee signing was first used for players brought in to the Aussie and US leagues. As these have salary caps each club was allowed 1 or 2 big names outwith the salary cap and for whatever reason they were deemed marquee players.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say, with considerable sadness, that we will have to come to terms with the fact that the better players (and quite a few of the average ones!) simply don't want to come to Ibrox and play for the mighty Rangers any more.

Add that the the inescapable fact that we can't compete financially with the lower English divisions and you get a picture of how difficult it is going to be to get players of quality to sign for us.

Ally and him team are going to have to work very hard to get anyone worthwhile. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect not.

as far as I know the term marquee signing was first used for players brought in to the Aussie and US leagues. As these have salary caps each club was allowed 1 or 2 big names outwith the salary cap and for whatever reason they were deemed marquee players.

I am sure Liewell and Seltic brought that term to these shores. We were never a club to crave a marquee signing because we dont crave positive press like the taigs do, we were also never a club to crave 1 big signing every window to appease our fans, we just trusted the club to get us good players and more foten than not they would.

(tu)

When excactly did this term "marquee signing" first appear?

First I heard of it was on here no more than a month ago...

It is as has been suggested an Americanism. They call the canopy over the entrance to a hotel or theatre the marquee and the term has also come to mean the sign over a theatre.

A "marquee" actor is one whose name above a film will draw audiences regardless of the subject / quality of the film.

This has now become a sporting term so I suppose a marquee signing would be a player who is "worth the price of admission on his own"

When Ally says that we are looking for the "right" targets. I know that is supposed to mean that they will fit our style od play, be a certain age, etc.... But it almost seems now that in order to "fit" our plans, these players need to be young, good enough to be in our squad and about 50 quid.

Before anyone rips me apart, I am glad we are out of debt and do not want to see what happened to the club happen again. But you've seriously got to consider how much money we have in the transfer budget.

BTW: If we sign Raul kid, plus Ortiz that is 900thou-which is what we got from the Charlie Adam deal, so we really haven't even spent any of whyte's money yet.

I don't like paying over the odds for players but unless our scouting team is brilliant and can unearth players from no where then we might just have to pay a little more than we want to. I just feel that (for example) we bring in 3 good players but it costs us 1-2 million more than we want. We can make it up by qualifying for the Champs league.

Let's say we got Carlos-3mil-we want 2mil, Goodie 2mil-we want 1.5 and some one else(that can enhance the squad) I think we would have a team good enough to get into the champs league and if not grab a third spot then get a run in Europe. That should easily make up for the extra bit we didnt want to spend.

BTW-I think this might have been a little rant/me thinking out loud. Let me know what you think ;)

When Ally says that we are looking for the "right" targets. I know that is supposed to mean that they will fit our style od play, be a certain age, etc.... But it almost seems now that in order to "fit" our plans, these players need to be young, good enough to be in our squad and about 50 quid.

Before anyone rips me apart, I am glad we are out of debt and do not want to see what happened to the club happen again. But you've seriously got to consider how much money we have in the transfer budget.

BTW: If we sign Raul kid, plus Ortiz that is 900thou-which is what we got from the Charlie Adam deal, so we really haven't even spent any of whyte's money yet.

I don't like paying over the odds for players but unless our scouting team is brilliant and can unearth players from no where then we might just have to pay a little more than we want to. I just feel that (for example) we bring in 3 good players but it costs us 1-2 million more than we want. We can make it up by qualifying for the Champs league.

Let's say we got Carlos-3mil-we want 2mil, Goodie 2mil-we want 1.5 and some one else(that can enhance the squad) I think we would have a team good enough to get into the champs league and if not grab a third spot then get a run in Europe. That should easily make up for the extra bit we didnt want to spend.

BTW-I think this might have been a little rant/me thinking out loud. Let me know what you think ;)

These ideas have been floating about the forum for a couple of weeks now. You're far from alone.

Mind you, I hadn't realised about the Adam fee = Ortiz & Rodriguez thing (tu)

These ideas have been floating about the forum for a couple of weeks now. You're far from alone.

Mind you, I hadn't realised about the Adam fee = Ortiz & Rodriguez thing (tu)

Yeah, I know that I am not coming up with anything new. I am just trying to figure out what is going on. Don't want to be negative but I just don't understand what is going on. Hopefully the people in charge are a lot smarter than me. Hahahaha.

There is no way this guy Whyte is going to spend on a marquee signing he has bottled it with Carlos and Goodwillie he is looking in the cheapo market.

You know, every day that seems more and more the case and why the majority of us are getting so frustrated. This crappy feeling keeps looming in the back ground and seems to be move and more obvious. I am just trying to stay positive and hope that what you say is wrong. No offense ;)haha

It's far too easy to say this though. What if we spend money we don't have and then don't get into the CL? We'd be in even more shit financially.

It's far too easy to say this though. What if we spend money we don't have and then don't get into the CL? We'd be in even more shit financially.

I totally hear you and you make a good point. It's kinda like the Kaunas fiasco we had a few years ago. The trouble is that we are in a tough situation because if we don't get in we are in a lot of trouble anyways. From what I am have heard in the past, Rangers already account in the revenue of making it into the champs league. We have a few guys now on 20grand a week and we need champs league football to continue to grow as a club. I am not saying that we spend 10million over and above what we have. But spending a little more 1-2million is not gonna ruin us financially if it's only done for one or two years. Which is probably all it would take to get in the likes of Carlos, Goodie and one or two others.

Right now we are like 1/2 committed and there is not point in paying the likes of Whitty/Shagger/Davis 20k/week to hope we can squeak our way in. I think we are two-three good signings away from having a quality team and I would think it would be best to be proactive than reactive.

I know what you mean, but playing in the SPL and getting into the champs league is a gamble every year.

It's quite difficult to define a "marquee" signing these days, given the over-inflated prices of very average players.

A marguee signing for us, IMO, would be someone well known who had achieved loads in the game and was coming to the end of their career. We simply couldn't afford a genuine marquee signing in their prime.

My guess would be someone like, if not actually, Rino Gattuso.

I know, I know...I'm good, right? ;)