Why The Malmo Result Could Be Good News

Bluepeter9

In Ally we have a new manager, one never knows how well a new manager will do. Winning games is not the real measure of how good a manager is going to be, especially at a club like Rangers. The real measure of a manager is how well them managed adversity. Well two competitive games into the new season, with an indifferent pre-season behind us and a home draw Ally faces a stiff test of character and ability. Now I personally believe Ally will need at least a season behind him to really judge him and I am not sure as a support he will get that without a lot of winning, especially against Celtic,

Similarily, the new tenure of Mr Wight is under close scrutiny based on results, and while I think the bulk of our transfer dealings will happen at the end of August the last two results may urge some urgency as it is a BIG financial loss if we fail to make the CL, and part of me does wonder how much the budget for new players chages based on qualification or not?

As for all the doom and gloom merchants: I know patience is difficult but the lack of support last night was palatable and we also need to do our part to 'gee' the team up instead of dragging them down and questioning their abilities!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I maybe could have phrased it better but it is handling adversity that makes or breaks managers not JUST winning games. Thanks for the support!

McCoist can 'deal with adversity' all he wants, his job is to win football matches.

He has now dropped two points at home to Hearts, and been beaten by a mid-table Swedish team. To date, he's not doing his job well at all.

You can almost hear him and Whyte in 3 years time saying 'we should have got bodies in sooner, we underestimated the challenge facing our squad, we learned a lot that first season...' Yadda yadda yadda, they need to get their finger out three weeks ago!!

Not to mention the fact that his team selections have been fkn AWFUL.

"As for all the doom and gloom merchants: I know patience is difficult but the lack of support last night was palatable and we also need to do our part to 'gee' the team up instead of dragging them down and questioning their abilities"

So if we see a player who has just signed a 20K a week deal, not even being able to trap a ball or pass it 6 yards we are not allowed to be annoyed at that? Gotcha...

McCoist can 'deal with adversity' all he wants, his job is to win football matches.

He has now dropped two points at home to Hearts, and been beaten by a mid-table Swedish team. To date, he's not doing his job well at all.

You can almost hear him and Whyte in 3 years time saying 'we should have got bodies in sooner, we underestimated the challenge facing our squad, we learned a lot that first season...' Yadda yadda yadda, they need to get their finger out three weeks ago!!

Not to mention the fact that his team selections have been fkn AWFUL.

(tu)

We have only played two competitive games so far and people dismiss pre season, but only winning 2 games out of 7 is piss poor no matter what way you look at it.

Its odd saying it so early on, but Saturday is must win.

i used to think you were given a hard time for no reason but that is nonsense , that was a turgid shite display added to the previous one from Saturday along with a turgid pre-season ( in which i defended the team i might add , no idea why) .

The question is for these fannys burying their heads in the sand and trying to pretend that it will all suddenly magically come good - how long do you actually want to give the new manager to learn his trade and what are you prepared to sacrifice while he does? And that even assumes he ever will learn how to be the manager of Rangers, John Grieg didn't and neither did Paul le Guen. It might well only be two competitive games into the season, but so far McCoist has shown nothing at all that he has a clue how manage the club. His lack of vision, lack of any idea how to change things, standing at the side with his arms folded waiting for someone to come and tell him what to do are all not very good indicators that Ally McCoist is going to be a successful manager. He didn't even have the subs warming up last night and as for the post match interview.... least said about that the better.

Sure, lets give him more time but don't then come on here whining when we're out of Europe and the title's down the pan.

The question is for these fannys burying their heads in the sand and trying to pretend that it will all suddenly magically come good - how long do you actually want to give the new manager to learn his trade and what are you prepared to sacrifice while he does? And that even assumes he ever will learn how to be the manager of Rangers, John Grieg didn't and neither did Paul le Guen. It might well only be two competitive games into the season, but so far McCoist has shown nothing at all that he has a clue how manage the club. His lack of vision, lack of any idea how to change things, standing at the side with his arms folded waiting for someone to come and tell him what to do are all not very good indicators that Ally McCoist is going to be a successful manager. He didn't even have the subs warming up last night and as for the post match interview.... least said about that the better.

Sure, lets give him more time but don't then come on here whining when we're out of Europe and the title's down the pan.

He needs to be given the full season at least, and that's from someone who never wanted him in the first place. We cannot keep binning managers after a few months or we will end up in an even greater mess. I must say that the early signs don't look great.

He needs to be given the full season at least, and that's from someone who never wanted him in the first place. We cannot keep binning managers after a few months or we will end up in an even greater mess. I must say that the early signs don't look great.

Yup but then we also have to live with the consequences of that and tbh it more than likely way too late to suddenly bring in a new manager. He might well learn quick, hell he might well even manage to turn round the Malmo tie, but people have to realise that we don't get everything handed to us on a plate, and this attitude some have that someone's going to wave a magic wand and it'll be all right seriously annoys me. We might well have to get worse before it gets better. Theoretically, you should only judge a new manager when he had his own team on the park, but Ally isn't going to get that luxury. Mind you, he didn't exactly hit the ground running as a player here either.

The bad thing about an Assistant Manager becoming manager is they have a sense of loyalty to a player who has helped in the success of the team, even when they have obvious shortcomings.

I'm right behind Ally and support him 100% but as a manager you have to be ruthless at times to get the job done.

The bad thing about an Assistant Manager becoming manager is they have a sense of loyalty to a player who has helped in the success of the team, even when they have obvious shortcomings.

I'm right behind Ally and support him 100% but as a manager you have to be ruthless at times to get the job done.

Agreed.

Slightly different, but a lot of Greig's problems were also put down to him being unable to distance himself from his pals and team-mates when he became their boss. I would have preferred to see McCoist cash in on some of last seasons players if only to half build his own team. Instead he has gone the other way completely and tried to bring back even more old boys.

Yup but then we also have to live with the consequences of that and tbh it more than likely way too late to suddenly bring in a new manager. He might well learn quick, hell he might well even manage to turn round the Malmo tie, but people have to realise that we don't get everything handed to us on a plate, and this attitude some have that someone's going to wave a magic wand and it'll be all right seriously annoys me. We might well have to get worse before it gets better. Theoretically, you should only judge a new manager when he had his own team on the park, but Ally isn't going to get that luxury. Mind you, he didn't exactly hit the ground running as a player here either.

We'll need to live with the consequences, however unpalatable that may be to some, it's better than changing bosses every six months. For one thing we wouldn't have the finances available to fund new forays into the transfer market every time a new one arrived.

In Ally we have a new manager, one never knows how well a new manager will do. Winning games is not the real measure of how good a manager is going to be, especially at a club like Rangers. The real measure of a manager is how well them managed adversity. Well two competitive games into the new season, with an indifferent pre-season behind us and a home draw Ally faces a stiff test of character and ability. Now I personally believe Ally will need at least a season behind him to really judge him and I am not sure as a support he will get that without a lot of winning, especially against Celtic,

Similarily, the new tenure of Mr Wight is under close scrutiny based on results, and while I think the bulk of our transfer dealings will happen at the end of August the last two results may urge some urgency as it is a BIG financial loss if we fail to make the CL, and part of me does wonder how much the budget for new players chages based on qualification or not?As for all the doom and gloom merchants: I know patience is difficult but the lack of support last night was palatable and we also need to do our part to 'gee' the team up instead of dragging them down and questioning their abilities!

As I said in another thread, whyte said in last sunday's mail that no budgets have been set, based on getting the CL money (tu)

I really want McCoist to be successful but he looks a wee bit lost. Last night it was as if he was waiting for Smith to come down from the stand and tell him the belated 75th minute sub to make.

Granted we have a small squad but Wylde, Healy and Hemmings (who has pace and looked bright pre season) would all have offered more in the 2nd half than Edu last night. He was playing in a weird defensive inside right position in the 2nd half and all our attacks were coming down the left.

Naismith is much better facing the goals rather than with his back to them - he should play on the right where he had lots of success last season.

Ortiz looks a good footballer but i think he'd more suited to a central mid role. He has a good touch, movement and a bit of composure (like the anti-Edu).

Wylde and Lafferty provided the pace in our team toward the end of last season. Wylde must play untill we've signed anyone else with pace.

I really want McCoist to be successful but he looks a wee bit lost. Last night it was as if he was waiting for Smith to come down from the stand and tell him the belated 75th minute sub to make.

Granted we have a small squad but Wylde, Healy and Hemmings (who has pace and looked bright pre season) would all have offered more in the 2nd half than Edu last night. He was playing in a weird defensive inside right position in the 2nd half and all our attacks were coming down the left.

Naismith is much better facing the goals rather than with his back to them - he should play on the right where he had lots of success last season.

Ortiz looks a good footballer but i think he'd more suited to a central mid role. He has a good touch, movement and a bit of composure (like the anti-Edu).

Wylde and Lafferty provided the pace in our team toward the end of last season. Wylde must play untill we've signed anyone else with pace.

:lol:

I maybe could have phrased it better but it is handling adversity that makes or breaks managers not JUST winning games. Thanks for the support!

Nothing wrong with that statement mate. It's what made Walter great. However, 1 draw and it's a crisis at The Rangers. A home loss aganst a team we should beat and it's a total disaster.

Winning is everything at our club. Like Walter said "The expectations are simple; just win"