Torres Talking About Ortiz And Ibrox

Broxi1872

They were together when both emerged as professional footballers and on Saturday Fernando Torres and Rangers summer signing Juan Manuel Ortiz will meet again.

The adaptable Spaniard was Ally McCoist's first purchase as Rangers manager, joining from Almeria who had been relegated from La Liga. The player has featured in all four of the Scottish champions competitive fixtures ahead of their meeting with Chelsea. But it all started at Atletico Madrid.

'He is two years older than me and we played together in the Under 18s when I was 16 and he was 18,' recall Torres.

'It was a very good year because in Spain the youth league is a district league and in the Madrid district, Real Madrid always won the league. This was the first year in 18 years that Atletico beat Real Madrid and won the league.

'We were together in that team and I remember Juanma had a very bad knee injury and he missed half the season. We started to play together in the second half of the season and we won the title. After that we played a tournament of all the Spanish district winners and we lost the final 1-0 against Osasuna, but it was an amazing year and after that I was promoted to the first team and he played for the first team as well.'

It was natural that such a good Atletico youth team provided a handful of players who made it to the senior side. Torres was a fixture for six years whereas Ortiz made a just handful of appearances. After loans to other clubs he joined Almeria in 2007.

'We were in the same school, we were in the class together, and we were going to training from school so we spent a lot of time together,' Torres adds on their youth team days.

'When he played for Atletico in the Under 18s he played as a right-back, and a left-back as well, so he is this kind of player that can play in a lot of positions, even left wing and right wing as well. He can use both feet so he can be a very good squad player.

'He is now at a great club in a great league and I am sure he will enjoy it.'

Torres has his own recollections of Ibrox, having played an August pre-season game away against Rangers three years ago, Liverpool winning 4-0.

'It was one of the last games before the start of the season and I came back from winning the European Championship with Spain,' he says.

'I played only the first half as it was my first game after coming back from holidays and I scored one goal. At Liverpool at that time, at half-time if you were coming out of the game you had to train, you had to run around the pitch.

'I remember running with Pepe Reina and all the stadium was standing up and clapping us because we had won the European Championship, and it was very impressive. It is not very often out of your country when you win something that you have this reception.'

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2411482,00.html

'I remember running with Pepe Reina and all the stadium was standing up and clapping us because we had won the European Championship, and it was very impressive. It is not very often out of your country when you win something that you have this reception.'

Love it when players talk about Ibrox :D

Love it when players talk about Ibrox :D

This 00000042.gif