Favorite Gers Matches Under Walter

Columbo

One of my favorite games of Walter's second era at the club for the pure and simple reason that trophies were coming back to Ibrox. Yeah in reality it was just one of the minor cups but it demonstrated we meant business and it being our first trophy since 2005 at the time made it very worthwhile, especially considering the manner in which we triumphed having twice looked like we were going to bottle it.

Kilmarnock 1-5 Rangers

This one really doesn't need any description. The game that sealed our third league title in a row under Walter and after such a competitive season we really did manage to put Celtic back in their place. Probably the league title I've most wanted us to win in my life considering the Neil Lennon factor. To win the league in the manner we did during this game showed we were deserving champions as we just blew Kilmarnock away. Lets get back to this level Rangers! It was just a few months ago!

This may seem a strange choice but it was our first league title win since 2005 and considering we were 7 points behind at Christmas and the fact we had little consistency throughout the season and just a couple of games ago looked like we'd thrown away the title at Hibs this is my favorite game of Walter's return purely due to the relief I felt at finally clinching the title. It was made all the more sweet by the way in which we'd lost the title last year due to our fantastic Uefa Cup run and the SFA really doing us over. Getting this league title in difficult circumstances and were weren't at our best till the last ten games or so was the trigger for 3IAR.

So what does everybody else rate as the top three games under Walter, I felt bad about leaving out Florence and the 4-2 victory at Parkhead but reckon these three games brought me the most joy. :21: :21:

2-1 league cup final 2011

5-1 killie

0-0 fiorentina 2nd leg

There are far too many. Walter Smith has given me and most of us our greatest time supporting Rangers and I am forever grateful of him for it as supporting Rangers when Walter was in charge you always had that extra belief that we would get something from a game.

Aside from some of the others mentioned, I really enjoyed the 7-1 game vs. Dundee Utd where Boyd broke Larsson's record. Was right in the period where Rangers were scoring at will it seemed like and Beasley/Novo were playing like Messi :lol:

Reading the first few replys and there is just so many. Made extra sweet by the two previous years of hell.

Rangers 5-0 Dundee United - Walter's first game back and i can still remember a banner in the Broomland, "Walter and Ally, they came when duty called". Also, i was meant to be at the Caley game where we lost a few weeks earlier under Le Guen but couldn't so got to get to this one instead. Thank Christ.

Rangers 3-0 rheptiles - Having won the previous two OF games, this was the one that showed who was boss.

Lyon 0-3 Rangers - As a previous poster said, our finest result in Europe in years.

Again, so many contenders, hard to pick just 3.

Top 3 is difficullt but beating the sheep 3-1 (gascoine hattrick) to win the title would be in that, as would the 9 man LC win over St. Mirren in his second spell - and the UEFA Semi-Final to take us to Manchester.

... and that excludes some of the great wins he engineered over them, the home and away victories over Leeds United etc. etc. Many titles, trophies and old firm wins - so many great memories, now here's to Ally creating some more...:crabflute:

5-0 against Dundee United, Walter's first game back.

1-0 against celtic, Walter's first away old firm game since coming back.

2-0 against celtic, Walter's first old firm game at home since coming back.

3-0 against Lyon.

3-0 against celtic.

Away at Sporting Lisbon.

Away at Fiorentina.

4-2 against celtic at the phiggery.

3-0 against Dundee United, first time we won the league in 4 years.

1-1 away Stuttgart.

1-0 against St Mirren, League cup final.

1-0 against celtic, Edu's game.

1-0 against Hibs, 2 in a row clinched.

3-1 against celtic.

2-1 against celtic, league cup final.

5-1 against Kilmarnock, 3 in a row was clinched.

There's been so many to be honest.

I'm just going to include league games and not ones where we won titles.

3. Celtic 2 Rangers 4.

We just destroyed them that day in the second half. Was just a brilliant day (and night). :crabflute:

2. Celtic 1 Rangers 1

Ok we drew, but the tarriers scored with 10 minutes to go and they thought they were back in the title race and if they had won that day it would have given them a huge lift. A minute later and we equalise, one of the best goals I've ever celebrated at the Piggery. That was the day their title "challenge" ended.

1. Hearts 1 Rangers 2

1-0 down with ten minutes to go. Lafferty scores a cracking free-kick and wee Naisy scores three minutes into injury time. Just brilliant.