Our most skillful player ever?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raw skill on the ball? One on one skill. Flicks, tricks and step overs etc?

Aluko. I think he is more skillful than both Laudrup and God Gascoigne. We won't appreciate just what a class act he is until he moves on. Make no mistake, we have a cracking edge of the seat player right now in wee Sone.

Right I have been around longer than most on here so here is my top 5

1 Baxter - remember his quote "The wives of the Celtic fans used to write and thank me for sending their husbands home early"

2 Durrant - Never fulfilled his potential due to that beast Simpson but would have been the best midfield player of his generation

3 Gascoigne - fastest feet ever in a blue jersey

4 Henderson - often forgotten about and always thought as second to their Johnstone. Henderson at his peak was a far superior player

5 Cooper/Laudrup - cant decide but would have either in my team

Mark Walters. Had pace, could score and set up goals plus one of the few players who genuinely could use both left and right feet with equal effect. Remember him screwing big Mick Mcarthy into the pitch like a corkscrew for Drinkell's goal in the 5-1 game back in Aug 1988! Also Jorge Albertz was great with Der Hammer and some great dribbles for a big guy.

Right I have been around longer than most on here so here is my top 5

1 Baxter - remember his quote "The wives of the Celtic fans used to write and thank me for sending their husbands home early"

2 Durrant - Never fulfilled his potential due to that beast Simpson but would have been the best midfield player of his generation

3 Gascoigne - fastest feet ever in a blue jersey

4 Henderson - often forgotten about and always thought as second to their Johnstone. Henderson at his peak was a far superior player

5 Cooper/Laudrup - cant decide but would have either in my team

Number 4. mate, never forgotten about and wee willie was better than johnstone, as you say. More Scotland caps, more Scottish league appearances and both played at same time in same position.

Can't comment on Cooper, Baxter and the rest as I never seen them live, YouTube clips are no way to judge a player. From who i've seen, i'd say it's between Gazza, Laudrup and Amato.

Richie

Shearer Caldow

David McKinnon Baxter

Henderson McMillan Millar Brand and Wilson

to name but a few !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, those were the days. After all these years, funny how I can still rattle off that team without taking a breath, or a second, to think about it.

Baxter wins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for those of you who never saw him, you'll never know the feeling inside Ibrox when he would get the ball. The hush, the expectation, the excitement. Poetry in motion.

See, it's good to be old ;-))

Somebody mentioned the great man Harry Davis.

Harry was all heart and strength, the only player who could have strengthened the Iron Curtain but his skills were not great as he himself knew. Protect McMillan and Baxter and win the ball for them. That's what he could do and boy, did he do it well.

Could have given Hurlock lessons in intimidation and shown Forsyth how to put a bit more power in the tackle.

For me, cooper or laudrup. My father says Baxter or McMillan but my da has airdrie leanings so may be biased. I've actually had the pleasure of meeting the wee prime minister and asked him who the best rangers player was. His answer, Baxter by a county mile. Told a great story of a journalist asking slim if he thought he could put a ball on a sixpence from 60 yards. 3 attempts allowed. Wee McMillan says slim takes his first strike and hey all watch it land and a sixpence flies into he air!!