Open Letter

spireblue

To all of you,

Playing with the future of the Rangers,MY Rangers.

I would like to tell you a true story,as you play your corporate games,take a minute or two out of your busy,expensive schedules.

In late 1970 a group of 6 lads from Yoker in Glasgow decided to go for a night out in Drumchapel, all these lads were around 15-19 years old,one of them was my cousin Tommy,16 years old and Rangers daft,same age as me actually,I am now almost 56.

They had a good night out,enjoying themselves,bothering no-one,it was such a good night,they missed their last bus home.Unperturbed they decided to walk back to Yoker.On the way home they were confronted by a gang of around twenty youths,not in Drumchapel I hasten to add.

An argument ensued about being on the wrong turf,in the wrong area.This gang set about the six lads,viciously,as they were trying to get away,my cousin was tripped up and fell to the floor.One of the yobs pulled out a Stanley knife and slashed his back from high up on his left shoulder,diagonally across his back down to the right kidney area.They ran away laughing,celebrating the fact they had 'wet' a Yoker boy.

My cousin,16 year old Tommy,needed over 150 stitches in his back and lost over two pints of blood.He was in hospital for a number of weeks,came out just in time for Christmas actually.Christmas day,Tommy got all he wanted,loads of Rangers things that he had asked for,scarf,hat,rug for his bedroom,Rangers duvet cover etc,etc. He was thrilled,but before Christmas he got something better,a ticket for the New Years game against Celtic at Ibrox.

The problem he had was,there was no way his mum and dad would allow him to go to the game because of the stitches still in his back.

He never went out New Years eve either,all his mates came round to his house instead,as the evening progressed,Tommy and his mates gradually managed to talk his parents round to letting him go to the big game,his mates assured them he would be fine,they would look after him.

So off to the match they went.Celtic went a goal up,with a couple of minutes to go Tommy's mates said come on Tom,lets get going and beat the crowds to the subway.

All of a sudden all hell let loose on the stairway,people started to fall,screams of agony everywhere.Tommys friend Gordon kept hold of Tommys hand as long as he could,but eventually he lost his grip in the melee.Gordon heard Tommy scream,'my stitches are bursting open,help me'.Gordon never saw young Tommy again.He lost his life there on that ill fated stairway.

His mum and dad identified his body in the early hours of the morning on the trackside at Ibrox,they never recognised his broken,bloated body,but the blood and the burst stitches in his back were the giveaway.

Tommy lived for the Rangers.Go along to the statue at the corner of the ground.Tommys name is there close to the bottom of the list of the 66 who died.

Thomas Grant,16.

So remember all you businessmen playing your corporate games,you will NEVER understand what this proud,historical institution means to us.

The Rangers,my Rangers,Tommy's Rangers. r.i.p. cousin.

To all of you,

Playing with the future of the Rangers,MY Rangers.

I would like to tell you a true story,as you play your corporate games,take a minute or two out of your busy,expensive schedules.

In late 1970 a group of 6 lads from Yoker in Glasgow decided to go for a night out in Drumchapel, all these lads were around 15-19 years old,one of them was my cousin Tommy,16 years old and Rangers daft,same age as me actually,I am now almost 56.

They had a good night out,enjoying themselves,bothering no-one,it was such a good night,they missed their last bus home.Unperturbed they decided to walk back to Yoker.On the way home they were confronted by a gang of around twenty youths,not in Drumchapel I hasten to add.

An argument ensued about being on the wrong turf,in the wrong area.This gang set about the six lads,viciously,as they were trying to get away,my cousin was tripped up and fell to the floor.One of the yobs pulled out a Stanley knife and slashed his back from high up on his left shoulder,diagonally across his back down to the right kidney area.They ran away laughing,celebrating the fact they had 'wet' a Yoker boy.

My cousin,16 year old Tommy,needed over 150 stitches in his back and lost over two pints of blood.He was in hospital for a number of weeks,came out just in time for Christmas actually.Christmas day,Tommy got all he wanted,loads of Rangers things that he had asked for,scarf,hat,rug for his bedroom,Rangers duvet cover etc,etc. He was thrilled,but before Christmas he got something better,a ticket for the New Years game against Celtic at Ibrox.

The problem he had was,there was no way his mum and dad would allow him to go to the game because of the stitches still in his back.

He never went out New Years eve either,all his mates came round to his house instead,as the evening progressed,Tommy and his mates gradually managed to talk his parents round to letting him go to the big game,his mates assured them he would be fine,they would look after him.

So off to the match they went.Celtic went a goal up,with a couple of minutes to go Tommy's mates said come on Tom,lets get going and beat the crowds to the subway.

All of a sudden all hell let loose on the stairway,people started to fall,screams of agony everywhere.Tommys friend Gordon kept hold of Tommys hand as long as he could,but eventually he lost his grip in the melee.Gordon heard Tommy scream,'my stitches are bursting open,help me'.Gordon never saw young Tommy again.He lost his life there on that ill fated stairway.

His mum and dad identified his body in the early hours of the morning on the trackside at Ibrox,they never recognised his broken,bloated body,but the blood and the burst stitches in his back were the giveaway.

Tommy lived for the Rangers.Go along to the statue at the corner of the ground.Tommys name is there close to the bottom of the list of the 66 who died.

Thomas Grant,16.

So remember all you businessmen playing your corporate games,you will NEVER understand what this proud,historical institution means to us.

The Rangers,my Rangers,Tommy's Rangers. r.i.p. cousin.

Good post and sad story.

Unbelievable. :disappointment:

No matter where our future lies, we must never forget our past, in particular, the lives of the 66 greatest Rangers of all time.

Those that died supporting the club they loved.

Excellent post. RIP Tommy, gone but never will be forgotten.

Sad and poignant story. Thank you for sharing it, I can understand how the hurt of something like that never really goes away.

I'd like to think that someone with the access to the people mentioned in the title gets them to read this.

Our supporters club lost a young lad, just a boy going to the match with his father and uncle, and saving up for the world cup in '74. I am pretty sure he was an only child just like my own son and the pain of the parents of those lost must be indescribeable.

God bless them all, our club means so much to so may we are more than a club, we are an institution and we must be saved.

RIP Billy Summerhill.

Truly heartbreaking story mate. I don't mind admitting I shed a tear or two reading that. Very moving.

We must fight on and continue, we will not lose our history whether it's Miller or TBK/BK. To do so would be forgetting the 66.

Thanks for your words guys.Would break my heart even more if those 66 were to have died in vain as the vultures gather to pick the pieces of the greatest team in the world.Bar none.

And that is why our history must be saved. (tu)