Doncaster

robg58

SPL has coped with loss of Rangers, says Neil Doncaster

Scottish Premier League chief executive Neil Doncaster believes member clubs have "adapted remarkably well" to Rangers' absence from the top flight.

Rangers were relaunched by a new company after the former incarnation could not be saved from liquidation.

Continue reading the main story

“All of our major partners and major sponsors, they've stuck with the SPL”

Neil Doncaster SPL chief executive

The club was subsequently placed in Division Three, making SPL season 2012-13 the first without Rangers.

"We've had to re-invent ourselves but that's happened pretty quickly and clubs have adapted," said Doncaster.

"It was a traumatic summer for everyone involved in the game in Scotland. We were delighted to see the season get under way and the focus be back on football once again.

"There'd been so much discussion around the whole Rangers situation. To get the season under way, to then be looking forward rather than back was a great relief for everyone.

"The SPL and the clubs have adapted remarkably well to what people really couldn't ever see happening.

"It was such an unforeseeable thing that one of the major houses, the economic power houses, in Scottish football should suddenly be out of the SPL.

Rangers timeline

February: Rangers enter administration over unpaid tax

June: Proposed exit from administration via a company voluntary arrangement is rejected and the club is re-formed by a new company

Early July: Scottish Premier League rejects the relaunched club's bid to take over the top flight share formerly owned by Rangers

Mid-July: Rangers are placed in Scottish Football League Division Three, Dundee assume vacant SPL place

August: SPL and SFL seasons begin

"I don't think anyone around the world who you speak to can quite believe that what happened happened, but it did."

Doncaster, who highlighted this season's top-flight Dundee and Highland derbies as compensating for the loss of Rangers, feels the retention of commercial partners has been crucial to the SPL's continued stability.

"There is absolutely an economic knock-on effect at the club level," Doncaster told New New BBC (bigots and tax dodgers) (bigots and tax dodgers) Radio 5live.

"All of our major partners and major sponsors, they've stuck with the SPL and that's enabled the clubs and the league to go forward with huge confidence.

"People had the opportunity to walk away over the summer and chose not to. They've stuck with the league and that's important."

Aye right :wanker:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trumpet! Peter must have been up all night preparing for that piece.

Let's see how Sky 'adapt' in 6 months when the current deal runs out. They should have asked him about the TV audiences and if they had adpated as well. Why did they need to include Rangers in any TV deal? I think we all know the reason. It was adaption or extinction!

I think most of them will be ok for this season but its gradually going to get worse. The longer we are out of the SPL the worse its going to get. Loads of people bumping their gums about them all surviving without us but they really can't see the bigger picture. I hope to fuck reconstruction doesn't come along to get us back quicker. I for one am more than happy working through the leagues while the SPL slowly crumbles.

Don't know which team will be first to hit the shit but its coming and I can't wait.

I was talking to a St Mirren season ticket/share holder who says the Saints are paying off staff and making the rest do 2 or 3 jobs cos of the finacial loss of Rangers leaving.

The other clubs must be the same.Crowds are down too and their Sky package slashed so basically Doncaster is doing what his mates Liewell and Regan do...LIE LIE LIE

Fuck me - now that is revisionism and spin.

Yes they have adapted - to a much weaker league, smaller numbers and less sponsorship - Football was never going to die but the SPL is sure as hell a lot weaker!

To be fair it's Doncaster's job to do that!

They are using the money withheld from Rangers to pay the other teams. The second half of this season will be a telling factor on ALL the SPL clubs. We all know the league is won already so even the tim's gates will drop off further. The rest will struggle once the season ticket money is gone and the affects of drop in gates hit home. It will be very interesting to see what SKY decide after reviewing the viewing figures for games this season.

It's just more spin from Donkey, who is being very economical with the truth.

Yes, most of the sponsors stayed with them for now. FACT

No mention it is on very much reduced terms. FACT

They are getting by so well, they can't pay their bills and are most likely insolvent.

Who needs an OF derby when you have Dundee or teuchter one eh ? Mr Donkey is havin a laff. :lol:

Whilst not actually lying, he has carefully only told half the truth, which amounts to much the same thing.

The SPL and the clubs will keep this front up until the first one crumbles. Then panic and the inevitable infighting will set in and chaos will ensue.

If more clubs go bust, will they be sent down to Div3 too ?

Before long it'll be celtic vs celtic reserves in the SPL.

Can't wait to see it all come crashing down, which it must do as there is nothing much holding it up at the moment but bluster.

They are getting by on season ticket money but that pot must be running dry. The new year will see a few clubs roll over and die I reckon.

SPL has coped with loss of Rangers, says Neil Doncaster

Doncaster, who highlighted this season's top-flight Dundee and Highland derbies as compensating for the loss of Rangers

Love the patter neil --- the new Rikki Fulton ------ the edinburgh fringe must be the next stop for this stand up comedian. :lol:

Ya you have to laugh how many people have you spoken to have actually watch an SPhell game on TV, I havent seen one yet. I would rather watch Spainish/ English footy then watch any of that crap. Im sure world wide Bears are of same frame of mind as my own, so has it really generally kepted the interest In the SPhell, I dont think so, if any thing its lost poss 6 mil viewers

Ya you have to laugh how many people have you spoken to have actually watch an SPhell game on TV, I havent seen one yet. I would rather watch Spainish/ English footy then watch any of that crap. Im sure world wide Bears are of same frame of mind as my own, so has it really generally kepted the interest In the SPhell, I dont think so, if any thing its lost poss 6 mil viewers

Its not 'footy'

That word should be banned on here :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Admin - ban that word