HMRC to seek permission to appeal BTC verdict

Blue Forever

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no 'others' to go after. The EPL issues iirc are about 'image rights' and bear no relation to Rangers situation. Its typical of HMRC, remember they spent a considerable sum chasing Harry Redknapp for £30,000. It seems they are fitted with brass necks as part of the induction process and don't seem to take into account the costs involved (£5 million and rising) its another bit of windmill tilting that Don Quixote would blanch at

I think you are wrong. EPL clubs were using EBT's and that the taxman wanted it.

I remember reading right at the start of all this shit, that Rangers were a test case, so they could go after the big guns in the EPL.

There are no 'others' to go after. The EPL issues iirc are about 'image rights' and bear no relation to Rangers situation. Its typical of HMRC, remember they spent a considerable sum chasing Harry Redknapp for £30,000. It seems they are fitted with brass necks as part of the induction process and don't seem to take into account the costs involved (£5 million and rising) its another bit of windmill tilting that Don Quixote would blanch at

Well if that's the case m8 I'm confused (always have been :D )

So what's the purpose in spending more money on an appeal that will get them nothing, or could they get money off DM and others?

They don't need to worry about costs. It is all coming out of the taxpayer's pockets.

I think you are wrong. EPL clubs were using EBT's and that the taxman wanted it.

I remember reading right at the start of all this shit, that Rangers were a test case, so they could go after the big guns in the EPL.

Just found this (sorry can't cut and paste). The FA and EPL negotiated a deal with HMRC over this earlier in the year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/9082870/Premier-League-sides-forced-to-pay-back-millions-of-pounds-in-tax-after-crackdown-on-image-rights-deals.html

So, it is now clear how HMRC operate. They oversee tax payments and should anything unusual concur investigate it, challenge it and await the outcome.

Now, from there, they spend millions of pounds pursuing companies for unpaid taxes, or in our case - LOANS, that they may or may not be successful in doing and therefore, potentially waste millions of pounds with potentially no return. Or again in our case they were getting a set amount no matter what.

Now, with that said, they appear to be choosing to spend MORE money appealing a decision which embarrassed them and, in turn, will have NO EFFECT or very little on the money they will receive.

SO, to conclude, HMRC are wasting their own time, the taxpayers money, our time, the media's time (not that they've much else to do), our money (legal costs) and whatever else.

This country is a total shambles.

your link says they negotiated on image rights.

They still want the EBT money.

Arsenal have already settled, some time ago. The EPL do not believe there are any widespread issues regarding EBTs and I'd bet they have looked at this in minute detail and assisted clubs in this process. I was mistaken on one point, £8 million was spent chasing Harry Redknapp for £80,000. Its not about precedent setting its just because they think they can. It will be interesting to see if permission is granted and, if it is, on what grounds.

All depends whether or not this case can be used to set precedent. That is the only reason I can see HMRC wanting to continue with the appeal.

Anyone know the answer?

Can a FTTT or UTTT ruling be used to set precedent in future cases?

Does being heard in a Scottish Court have any issues with regards potential cases in English Courts?

A commissioners decision can be binding on lower tribunals but were HMRC to appeal successfully the most likely outcome would simply be that the case is to be relisted and heard again by a differently constituted first tier tribunal. As for the Scottish court part, the tribunal is not really a Scottish court and is part of HMCTS, a ukbwide court system which excludes the Scottish court service so it's not really important

I think should the same learned judges prevail from Scotland jurisdiction then the same,similar judgement will be conferred.......and why should such a malevolent HMRC ,being pursued by CPS and other establishments be given statute to further embarrass ...give any other valediction than to save face........The case should and will be denied in order , for ordinary people to get on with life.......

It grieves the majority to be besmirched and vindicated......only for others to be in denial

I remember reading recently that there was at least 8 EPL teams that had used EBT's.

Potentially hundreds of millions of pounds.

You have to remember that we were a test case for the EBT's and HMRC were hoping to set precedent with us so they could go after the big big spenders.

As it stands right now, HMRC are gonna have to forget about the vast majority of these targets, unless they can get our verdict overturned on appeal. Then it's game on again for HMRC and their hunt for cash.

This. (tu)

Just found this (sorry can't cut and paste). The FA and EPL negotiated a deal with HMRC over this earlier in the year.

http://www.telegraph...ghts-deals.html

Yes the recent issue where the FA stepped in was as a result of Image Rights, that doesn't mean no team in England have ever used EBT's does it?

Don't forget about the hundreds of companies who use them as well, this is way bigger than Rangers. HMRC could not justify appealing unless they stood to retrieve something from it. Be it as a result of litigation against former Rangers directors or the case acting as a precedent for other Clubs and or companies.

A commissioners decision can be binding on lower tribunals but were HMRC to appeal successfully the most likely outcome would simply be that the case is to be relisted and heard again by a differently constituted first tier tribunal. As for the Scottish court part, the tribunal is not really a Scottish court and is part of HMCTS, a ukbwide court system which excludes the Scottish court service so it's not really important

Cheers (tu)

I suppose they were always going to seek to appeal, the question is will they be allowed to, no way should they be especialy as they seem happy to deal with Vodafone, Hertz, the EPL in fact eveybody except Rangers, very misleading article though like most on newsnow Rangers regarding this.