Allys Panama Trip

julescotia

ALLY McCOIST made a hush-hush trip to Panama City this week to lay the foundations for his Ibrox revolution.

Sunsport can reveal that the Rangers gaffer jetted out to Central America to take in Panama’s 2-0 World Cup win over Honduras.

McCoist and his Gers No2 Kenny McDowall had a string of meetings with top clubs from Panama, Honduras and Mexico as they bid to build up their network of contacts in the quest to find the next generation of Ibrox stars.

Panama are shock leaders of the CONCACAF group in the race to make Brazil 2014 — ahead of the likes of the USA and Mexico.

That has alerted McCoist to the potential in the country and it’s understood he dined with the area’s top football powerbrokers — as well as forging links with Panamanian clubs.

Celtic paved the way in the Honduran market with the bargain basement capture of left-back Emilio Izaguirre for just £600,000 from CD Motagua.

Now Gers are following their lead in that country and establishing concrete links of their own in both Panama and Mexico. The Central American mission comes with Panama riding high in 41st place in the FIFA world rankings — a massive 25 slots above Scotland.

A string of their top prospects came under the gaze of McCoist and McDowall and it’s understood some will now be invited to Ibrox for training stints, with deals aimed at players putting themselves in the shop window for the English Premier League. Gers’ transfer embargo ends on September 1 and they want a much-improved squad for next season.

If we can find a few wee cheap gems, get a couple of years out of them, then turn a profit. It's pretty much the perfect result.

Exactly what people have been asking for, buy young and cheap, and make profit.

If we can find a few wee cheap gems, get a couple of years out of them, then turn a profit. It's pretty much the perfect result.

Exactly what people have been asking for, buy young and cheap, and make profit.

Are you convinced we're in the right position/have the correct staff to do this?

Are you convinced we're in the right position/have the correct staff to do this?

Time will tell. I'm convinced it's a step forward, and another sign of the plan that Ally said would become clear as time went on.

The only slight problem with this is that say we sign a player on the cheap on say a 3 year deal then he turns out to be a star chances are he'll leave by the time we are back in the top division possibly on a free meaning we won't make any money on him. We would realistically only be able to demand a decent transfer fee if we were in the top league and the player was performing well at that level.

I'm all up for this though because even if the potential scenario above was to happen at least we'd still have the player performing and helping us get promotion.

This is certainly something we should be doing and should have been doing for years though. Networking and looking for potential outwith Europe could be very lucrative for us.

I don't believe a word anyone says at Rangers anymore. The other day Durrant was saying Neil Murray was away somewhere scouting players. Then later that night a story comes out in the paper saying he's been suspended.

The fans have been moaning for months and months that we have no scouts and they never look anywhere outside of Scotland and the SPL for players.

Seems this could be a "at least we're trying" to keep the fans happy. Until i see players coming in then i won't believe it.

And i used to be the type that would believe everything Rangers said. The way things have went i don't take anything that comes from McCoist etc serious anymore.

I don't believe a word anyone says at Rangers anymore. The other day Durrant was saying Neil Murray was away somewhere scouting players. Then later that night a story comes out in the paper saying he's been suspended.

The fans have been moaning for months and months that we have no scouts and they never look anywhere outside of Scotland and the SPL for players.

Seems this could be a "at least we're trying" to keep the fans happy. Until i see players coming in then i won't believe it.

And i used to be the type that would believe everything Rangers said. The way things have went i don't take anything that comes from McCoist etc serious anymore.

Why is it so hard to believe Murray was scouting within the UK before he got suspended? More so, scouting doesn't involve signing every player you find. Rangers will have scouted thousands of players in the past that you and I didn't have a clue about. This is positive. Please, for once, embrace positivity and stop being so glum!

Do you really think that Mr. Green would let ally spend money travelling half way around the world just so it looked like he was doing something?

We should be saving the money and instead getting in

Top sfl players as at the end of the day that is all we require.

By all means get an ajax esque academy on the go but surely for the next 2 seasons (barring reconstruction) we shouldn't be spending 4-5k a week on so called spl/internationals.

An example of this being thistle who are playing good football/banging in goals for fun on a shoe string budget.

I read on bbc football gossip a couple of days ago that the SFL rules on forigners mean that if we wanted to sign any of these South Americans like the Honduran players linked a couple of weeks ago, we have to get Boca and Goian permanently off the books as theres a limit to the number in the SFL. I would hope this happens anyway tbh as they are a big drain on wages.