Fernando Ricksen diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

PrsosPonytail

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a 10 minute video on nrc.nl, a Dutch site. I understand a wee bit of it.

Heart-breaking. Poor lad.

Still had his sense of humour. When the interviewer suggested that Katie Price/Jordan was a big star in Britain and that it must have been a big thing for him being with a star, he retorted by stating it was a big thing for her too. There were a few bits about the drink, women and drugs. He was discreet about other players who indulged in said vices.

I'm sure the fans of our Club will wish him all the best, but it's a tragic hand he's been dealt.

For those who Nederlands kunnen pratten or are just just curious..

http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2013/10/30/oud-voetballer-ricksen-lijdt-aan-ziekte-als-geemotioneerd-bij-dwdd/

Such a shame, Lou Gehrig's disease is something no man would wish on his worst enemy, so to see it happen to someone who brought me so much happiness in a Rangers shirt has left me with a terrible knot in my stomach.

I was fortunate to meet him once, briefly. My Dad and I had won hospitality tickets to Ibrox for a game against Livingston in 2005. Rangers won 3-0, Fernando scored and played a Man of the Match performance. This was around the time he was in the form of his life and his contract was up at the end of the season. Fernando came up to hospitality as per and I got my photo with him. Just as he was leaving to speak to the next punter my told him "We need you to stay here big man." Fernando gave just a customary wee nod and a thanks. Later through the week he signed a new deal at Rangers, and to this day Dad is still convinced he was the deal breaker!

Keep fighting Fernando, the Rangers family will be behind you every step of the way.

Everyone should go home tonight and give your kids, wife or partners a massive cuddle as you take it for granted

Ill certainly be doing it tonight knowing how lucky I am

To think I get upset about not affording holidays etc

If you have your health you are the wealthiest man alive. I need to remember that myself

Everyone should go home tonight and give your kids, wife or partners a massive cuddle as you take it for granted

If you have your health you are the wealthiest man alive. I need to remember that myself

Very true.

No matter how bad things are there are people like Fernando in a living hell.

Great post. I second that... We are all guilty of losing sight of what is most important in life. (tu)

Big Lorenzo on the tranny saying get Fernando over as soon as possible so "we can all watch a game together." I second that also, Lorenzo. (tu) (tu)

Think the news has sunk in more today, i havent watched the video interview with Fernando as i dont want to see that but having seen and read much more about the illness i find myself utterly saddened that anybody never mind a former Rangers captain can be fit and healthy and then just get so ill so fast for what seems like almost no discernable reason at all. Im sure Fernando will be glad to have so many bears thinking of him and anything Rangers and our support can do for Fernando we should strive to do.

too true. .i had something life threatening two years ago but I'm improving and every day I see the wife and kids I feel blessed....even more so now. .my heart goes out to Fernando and his family and pray for a medical breakthrough for him and all the sufferers of this disgusting illness. .God bless you.

too true. .i had something life threatening two years ago but I'm improving and every day I see the wife and kids I feel blessed....even more so now. .my heart goes out to Fernando and his family and pray for a medical breakthrough for him and all the sufferers of this disgusting illness. .God bless you.

Nice to hear things are improving mate

Just read he has a 1 year old daughter and a new Russian wife, that's tragic, absolute tragic, and people talk about Karma in life and you get what you deserve...

Back again ya rancid wee fucking cunt, let's hope admin post yer details this time and we can boot you up and down the street