Tomorrow's Herald

TheBluebells

The manager does not need any more backing, we need to bring our costbase down before we even think about spending money again.

Sorry davie boy, you are way off on this one.

Agree 100%.

If he thinks we need investment,then invest.

The agm is over,wallace must be given a chance to sort out the mess.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People are missing the point.

Cutting the player budget is a short term solution. Which in my opinion is short sighted as it currently stands at 30% of our turnover.

Fans of other clubs are desperate to see us struggling to compete on the park and are trying to push the message we need to live within our means.

Well the 30% figure suggests we are already living well within our means on the park that on the park... We just need to stop the money disappearing off it.

People are missing the point.

Cutting the player budget is a short term solution. Which in my opinion is short sighted as it currently stands at 30% of our turnover.

Fans of other clubs are desperate to see us struggling to compete on the park and are trying to push the message we need to live within our means.

Well the 30% figure suggests we are already living well within our means on the park that on the park... We just need to stop the money disappearing off it.

When u say on the park, are you meaning the 16-20 players or the entire footballing staff who actually make up "on the park" (tu)

Wilson urges Rangers board to take wage cut...not players

Published on 23 January 2014

Matthew Lindsay

RANGERS executives were today urged to take the lead in the cost-cutting purge at Ibrox - by slashing their own wages and waiving bonuses.

The demand came from Alex Wilson, one of the gang of four requisitioners who failed in a bid to be voted onto the club board.

And he hit out at the board for a "cack-handed" failure to lead by example after the players rejected pleas to take a 15% pay cut for the next season and a half.

He said: "I was appalled, surprised and disappointed that the players were asked to consider a 15% pay cut in isolation. It was a bit cack-handed.

"Ally McCoist has agreed to a reduction in his salary.

"But apart from that, I haven't heard of any other cost-cutting measures from the board other than this one.

"Sorry, but that is just not the right way to go about it. I was pleased to see the manager has backed the stance of his players."

Gers chief executive Graham Wallace has warned every area of the business, which is operating at a significant monthly loss, is currently under review.

And he has promised that each department of the SPFL League One club would be subjected to exactly the same scrutiny.

Wilson and his fellow requisitioners Scott Murdoch, Malcolm Murray and Paul Murray, had vowed to work for free if they were elected to the board.

And the lifelong fan and current season ticket holder, who was HR director at telecommunications giants BT for nine years, has called for directors to be proactive. "As requisitioners, we said we would work for nothing for an indefinite period if we were elected to the board.

"I would like to see the current board do the same thing.

"I would like to see them lead by example here by accepting reductions in their pay and agreeing to forego any bonuses they have in their contracts or fees which they are entitled to.

"They could lead by example by doing that for the next one or two years - or even until Rangers return to European football."

Wilson added: "You don't ask your troops to make sacrifices without making any yourself. Leaders should be leading by example.

"They can show to supporters that they are the sort of people who want to see Rangers flourish by making significant degrees of self-sacrifice here."

Wilson, who commutes from London to attend Rangers home games, fears that offering the players a pay cut will create unrest within the Ibrox club.

He said: "The club could have gone to the players and said: 'We have agreed to a pay cut and not to take any bonuses - we would like you to consider giving up 15% of your salary for a year.

"They could have presented it as a package. But to lead with your chin, even speculatively, was very cack-handed.

"The board, the manager, the backroom staff, the playing staff should all be treated the same way so they have got a unified structure.

"Doing it the way they have only creates disunity."

Would have no objection to spending money if it was on players whose value was likely to increase, not on ageing journeymen and or random YouTube mavericks hawked around clubs.

The focus should be on youth development and scouting. Not splashing cash.

I'm pretty sure GW has told us why these cuts are necessary - to attract further investment.

You can hardly expect him to go back to the investors for more funds , in our current position ? The investors won't waste their money if they see it as just plugging holes . They want to see it used on building a business in which they will join in reaping their rewards. To attract this , as GW says , we have to streamline ourselves to be able to stand on our own two feet .

One worrying aspect in all this though , as one who hopes DK will be part of all this , is the amount of time he is contradicting the present board . First it was looking for a place for PM , now it's by saying were should be increasing investment , not cutting it.

Re Wilson, bonuses have already been given up and the savings to be made from cuts of Easdsles, Creighton and Somers fees is minimal considering they are only on circa £140k between them. (tu)

Unless he is referring to the £10m board wages (tu)

How do you know that there are no bonus schemes for board members?

How do you know that there are no bonus schemes for board members?

Non execs don't have bonus schemes. They never have. The only 2 who would be on a bonus scheme are Stockbridge and Wallace. Stockbridge has given his £200k per year bonus up already which leaves Wallace.

It's my opinion he will not be on a bonus for anything other than turning the business around though I do accept I have no evidence at present.

All other board/key person bonuses left with Mather, green and Ahmad. (tu)