Do We Tend To Overhype Our Players?

The Godfather

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arteta shouted down? I genuinely don't remember that, I thought he was a quality player. Maybe my memory, I'm not as young as I used to be... :blush:

Was always a bugbear of mine BP.

Never been a season ticket holder but the games I seen him in was always impressed by his workrate and skill.

Used to listen to these pair slagging him off every week at work (season ticket holders)................Maybe saying many was an exaggeration..... :blush:

Knew I was always right about him anyway..... :D

Scottish football is in a downward spiral especially the "premiership" which has seen a huge drop in quality over the last 2 seasons. When the current champions are trying to prise a third tier bench warmer ( former spl hot shot) as a marque signing and other teams are filling squads from the backwater that is Irish football it shows how poor things are in terms of quality.

No he didn't. He's started 34 games for them in total including last season.

Apologies but its 39 he's started in total, he featured in 32 of 38 last season 10 as sub so still better than a squad player. Thats from Southamptons website he has featured in 56 games for them so far, a pretty decent total and he plays more than he is on the bench, that makes him a first team player for me. Wiki only includes league games. I'd guess Wanyama may reduce his starts now he's back from injury but he still has a decent record since leaving.

Hearing today Edu was sent away to MLS by Stoke and that is yet another starter for us who has failed to really shine after leaving the club.

There have been quite a few in the past few years who shone here like Boyd, Naimsith, Whittaker, Jelavic, Edu ect who have not really kept any sort of form going when they left us and most bar Aluko and McGreggor have had a fair amount of bench time. Also some others who looked promising like Ness but I don’t think I ever seen him turn out for Stoke.

Is this because they are genuinely not really Oas good as some of us thought or the level from SPL to EPL where most went to is too vast so shows in how they fail to flatter?

Edu is in the top 3 worst players I hace seen pull on our top, Boyd needs a busy player playing beside him or he's useless. Ness is perma-injured. Naismith is starting to settle and show his quality now (bit like when we signed him) Davis plays most weeks for Southampton, so yes, I think they are dong as well as I would've expected them to do.

I don't know if others expected more from them, but I certainly didn't.

Edu is in the top 3 worst players I hace seen pull on our top, Boyd needs a busy player playing beside him or he's useless. Ness is perma-injured. Naismith is starting to settle and show his quality now (bit like when we signed him) Davis plays most weeks for Southampton, so no, I think they are dong as well as I would've expected them to do.

I don't know if others expected more from them, but I certainly didn't.

Top 3 worse player?.dont talk daft he wasn't the best but no way was he that bad

I think Edu got scapegoated at times although he wasn't the best player we've had that's for sure

I don't think he was used as a scapegoat, he was genuinely shite. He couldn't pass, he always lost the balbackhen NEVER attempted to get it back), I have honestly never seen him run at full speed and he's still the only player I have seen get nutmegged from 30yrds with a pass from one of our own players.

The was a good 6 months that no one in the team would pass to him unless they had no choice.

Konterman was even better than him.

I don't think he was used as a scapegoat, he was genuinely shite. He couldn't pass, he always lost the balbackhen NEVER attempted to get it back), I have honestly never seen him run at full speed and he's still the only player I have seen get nutmegged from 30yrds with a pass from one of our own players.

The was a good 6 months that no one in the team would pass to him unless they had no choice.

Konterman was even better than him.

Edu put in a performance against Valencia at Ibrox that Konterman could only dream of.

Edu put in a performance against Valencia at Ibrox that Konterman could only dream of.

Edu could put in a performance if he could be bothered to.

Same (well, maybe not the same) with Konterman, he went through a period where he was excellent for us. Konterman lacked basic ability, whereas Edu was just lazy.

Kevin Thomson was imo way overated and gained hero staus for booting Robbie Keane, I think we give our affections long before they are earned.

Exactly.but people have been overratting our players for years.we play in a dire league.and the players are 4th rate.I laugh when people

Say that.Crawford.McKay etc are good prospects.sorry they'll end up in the lower Scottish leagues