Do We Tend To Overhype Our Players?

The Godfather

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people also forget Naismith suffered his second cruciate injury before moving to Everton. He's fortunate that he's still doing them a decent turn as a squad player because those injuries usually halt careers in a major way.

Edu's the same, he arrived at Stoke, picked up an injury and was farmed off on loan to Bursaspor, though I don't think he would have made much of an impact anyway.

I think there's a lot to be said for us over hyping players but guys like Davis, Thomson, Whittaker, McGregor, they all played their part in getting us to the UEFA Cup final. When they move on, they move on to teams that are smaller clubs in a bigger league and I'd imagine that some, not all, but some of those playing at their new respective clubs aren't quite up to the same standards.

I think there's a fair few factors you have to consider, like how they fit into particular styles, how they fit in with particular team mates, how consistent they were in the SPL and how consistent they have to now be down south, even training methods and training intensity could prove to be a jump that they either aren't ready for or aren't suited to.

Butcher maybe,we did pip Man Utd for him,and Gazza was still close to his prime

Gazza was close to his best with us domestically. No doubt about it, but IMO he wasn't genuinely Worldclass. If he was, we wouldn't have got him. In some ways his past injuries just stop him short.

Butcher was a major coup at the time. But, Man Utd would have got him. If it wasn't for English clubs being banned from European Football. But would have Butcher got ahead of the likes of Baresi etc in the Worldclass tags. I have my doubts.

Gazza was close to his best with us domestically. No doubt about it, but IMO he wasn't genuinely Worldclass. If he was, we wouldn't have got him. In some ways his past injuries just stop him short.

Butcher was a major coup at the time. But, Man Utd would have got him. If it wasn't for English clubs being banned from European Football. But would have Butcher got ahead of the likes of Baresi etc in the Worldclass tags. I have my doubts.

Both someone pinch me signings,I wonder if we will ever see ,the like again

I

Nonsense. Jeffers, Gayle, Ostenstad, Capucho, Svensson. Need I go on?

Edu was far from great but he was head and shoulders above all of those.

OK, I give you that, but he was in the same bracket as them. So I change it to top 3 worst players to be a guarenteed starter.

Also, Capucho was excellent on the left, where he played when he got to a European final.

The handful of tumes he played on the left for us, he was brilliant.

I think people also forget Naismith suffered his second cruciate injury before moving to Everton. He's fortunate that he's still doing them a decent turn as a squad player because those injuries usually halt careers in a major way.

Edu's the same, he arrived at Stoke, picked up an injury and was farmed off on loan to Bursaspor, though I don't think he would have made much of an impact anyway.

I think there's a lot to be said for us over hyping players but guys like Davis, Thomson, Whittaker, McGregor, they all played their part in getting us to the UEFA Cup final. When they move on, they move on to teams that are smaller clubs in a bigger league and I'd imagine that some, not all, but some of those playing at their new respective clubs aren't quite up to the same standards.

I think there's a fair few factors you have to consider, like how they fit into particular styles, how they fit in with particular team mates, how consistent they were in the SPL and how consistent they have to now be down south, even training methods and training intensity could prove to be a jump that they either aren't ready for or aren't suited to.

I think the best way to sum it up is that most of them we above average players that had a manager that gave them a will to win and try tgeir hardest every game due to Walters man management style wgich made all the players not just team mates, but great friends. They all still keep in touch with each other.

They don't have that anymore, nor do they have the Ibrox crowd behind them. Most of them were also playing for their favourite team.

Edu was a shocking footballer.

Surprised with Jelavic, thought he would have done better.

Would u put him in ypur top 3/5 players that were guarenteed starters. Not includung any of the players we've had the past 18months?

I also think the fact it tiok him till nearly the end of the transfer window to find a club speaks volumes. He would have left with the rest of the traitors if he could.

You can't compare Butcher to one of the best defenders EVER to play the game, he was world class though.

You can't compare Butcher to one of the best defenders EVER to play the game, he was world class though.

Very much so, we overhype youngsters by thinking - oh, they're in our first team they must be the next Barry/Hutton who will get us a big fee in the future.

Think the most overrated players we've had in recent time are -

Novo

Lovenkrands

Naismith

Jelavic

Thomson

Wilson

Hearing today Edu was sent away to MLS by Stoke and that is yet another starter for us who has failed to really shine after leaving the club.

There have been quite a few in the past few years who shone here like Boyd, Naimsith, Whittaker, Jelavic, Edu ect who have not really kept any sort of form going when they left us and most bar Aluko and McGreggor have had a fair amount of bench time. Also some others who looked promising like Ness but I don’t think I ever seen him turn out for Stoke.

Is this because they are genuinely not really as good as some of us thought or the level from SPL to EPL where most went to is too vast so shows in how they fail to flatter?

I think it comes down to the individual and the team they go to.....

Thing is though We can't expect world class players. Even when Shitaker, Naismith and Shagger signed those new deals they were "only" on about £20k/w that was our top earners. there are guys in the nPower Champ thats on much more.

We need to stop selling to england and build good relationships with other teams in europe.