Police Scotland issue an apology to a Rangers supporter who had a flag binned.

Police Scotland has issued an apology to a Rangers supporter who had a flag confiscated at Saturday’s game against Arbroath at Ibrox.

The official flag of Northern Ireland was incorrectly removed from the supporter who was initially denied access to the Stadium by an officer.

The Club’s Safety Officer has been in contact with the Police after the matter was brought to our attention by supporters and they fully accept that the officer in question acted outwith his authority.

For the avoidance of doubt, all national flags are welcome within the Stadium. All police officers on duty at Ibrox have been made aware of this policy.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the avoidance of doubt, all national flags are welcome within the Stadium. All police officers on duty at Ibrox have been made aware of this policy.

Thank God the Jon Daly flags are still allowed.

Seriously, good on whoever has challenged this through the appropriate channels (tu)

Ridiculous that police can try and confiscate a countries flag.

A flag. Fuck sake that's ridiculous even typing that out.

Police Scotland has issued an apology to a Rangers supporter who had a flag confiscated at Saturday’s game against Arbroath at Ibrox.

The official flag of Northern Ireland was incorrectly removed from the supporter who was initially denied access to the Stadium by an officer.

The Club’s Safety Officer has been in contact with the Police after the matter was brought to our attention by supporters and they fully accept that the officer in question acted outwith his authority.

The policeman that threw it in the bin, should be named and shamed and also to lose his job under the anti-sectarian bill

I'm a little confused by this.

Withholding a civilians property that would make that civilian unable to retrieve it is classed as theft in Scotland is it not?...

Wouldn't that mean you could press charges and that knob would end up wwith a criminal conviction...

The policeman that threw it in the bin, should be named and shamed and also to lose his job under the anti-sectarian bill

Yip and he should have to do community service and attend sectarianism workshops which he can be referred to once he's been appointed a therapist.

The plod in question should be made to buy a new flag for the fan that he stole it from

He'll be covered by vicarious liability but I posted in the other thread that at the very least the bloke who had his flag taken should have financial renumeration from the police for it . given that he's had an apology I'd suggest he seeks legal advice stating how he felt humiliated and embarrassed by what happened. I appreciate people will laugh that off but it's the only way an organisation like the police will ever learn , a letter written in 2seconds and a bland apology means nothing to them or the copper who was quick to seize a flag of he union.

Was it the Ulster banner plod confiscated? Not being pedantic but the official flag of Northern Ireland is the Union flag.

Not being a paranoid person ( unless it's Black Sabbath ! ) I do believe it's an honest mistake.

Without tryin to sound like a broken record , and , as I've said in the other thread , I'm more interested what Rangers have done about this.

At a time when thugs have run about Amsterdam , causing chaos , getting supported by their team and manager , to the extent of being given club tours , what do Rangers do to support a fan for carrying a legitimate flag to Ibrox - nada !

Seems to me that sometimes we just don't help ourselves !

I had a wee disagreement with an occifer a few years ago regarding my YCV flag. It was an Old Firm game and he told me to put it back in my pocket.

When I pointed out its Historical Relevance he gave me a wee wink mumbled something under his breath then walked away. So I waved it above my head with great relish, hoping that a few of the great unwashed would be "beelin!!"...if they noticed it. Its changed days indeed. :ulster: