Derry City Example - Uefa Stance

With our good run in the Scottish cup, some thoughts have started to drift onto the hopes of actually winning the thing! Whilst, very difficult, there is a chance it could happen, and if it did, the talk has already begun on the knock on effect of qualifying for a place in Europe.

It is worth noting that a similar but not exact example happened in Ireland where Derry City qualified for a Europa League place after their liquidation and rebirth. Their FA backed the stance, and they were nominated for a place, only for Uefa to knock it back.

As far as I can see, Derry City, the original club was actually liquidated as their was no transference of economic entity, which is different from our own situation. I also believe that they were given a new FA licence rather than having the original one transferred.

Although there are some differences, I would imagine that Uefa will not treat the situations very differently. We should still apply, but should not get our hopes up.

Regardless, I will take getting knocked back by Uefa right now if offered, as this would mean we would be the cup winners!

Certainly if the question comes up i'd want the club to pursue all the possibilities, Green was seemingly doing that anyway when meeting with UEFA etc.

But you're correct that we shouldn't get our hopes up, and the cup win would be amazing with or without the European place.

Oh, and for the record.

Derry City, who were liquidated, and knocked back by Uefa for the 3 year rule, have a lesser claim to be the same club than we do.

Uefa website clearly states that their history is maintained and they are a continuation, adding to their history.

Not saying anything we don't already know, but is good to have other examples.

So this rule will only apply if it's an English Spanish Italian or German team that gains a place without 3 years of accounts

Would imagine it would depend on which club was being effected.

If say Deportivo win the league without the accounts, and are stopping Barca getting into the tournament, then Uefa would block them. If it is the other way round, Uefa will look the other way.

Motherwell made a big loss from their europa quali

Monetary wise, that's a valid point,JH. It also didn't do the reputation of Scottish football much good either. The money on offer for the Europa is shite unless you go all the way in it to cover travel costs to places like Eastern Europe

As has been pointed out the major difference in Derry City's case is that they did not obtain a continual FA licence which when you read in conjunction with the UEFA process on this exception ruling was a deal breaker.

Our licence is a continual membership. If you gave me £100k to bet on yes or no, i would bet that we would get the licence to play. (tu)

As has been pointed out the major difference in Derry City's case is that they did not obtain a continual FA licence which when you read in conjunction with the UEFA process on this exception ruling was a deal breaker.

Our licence is a continual membership. If you gave me £100k to bet on yes or no, i would bet that we would get the licence to play. (tu)

This is where I get confused because despite being told by others that they've read it, as far as I can see that's what the rule (rather than the exemption) asks for, that we have a continued membership for at least 3 years (which we surely do) and an existing relationship with the FA, there doesn't seem to be mention of this 3 years of audited accounts rule. To me under the rules we could even have been eligible last season.

This is where I get confused because despite being told by others that they've read it, as far as I can see that's what the rule (rather than the exemption) asks for, that we have a continued membership for at least 3 years (which we surely do) and an existing relationship with the FA, there doesn't seem to be mention of this 3 years of audited accounts rule. To me under the rules we could even have been eligible last season.

There is definitely a reference to audited accounts in the rules. (tu)