"It's a Grand Old Team" at Goodison yesterday

theres 32 counties in ireland they say, and liverpool is the 33rd yes both Everton and liverpool would be big

Celtic fans with a big history of irish in the city going back 100's years. the first England ireland game was played

in Evertons ground Everton had 5 or 6 irish lads playing that time you couldn't play that game in anyother part of the country

i also read somewhere years ago that the IRA would never bomb liverpool as it was full of irish and had alot of following there.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Religion is an issue in Glasgow. Nobody in the rest of the country supports football on this basis. No club in England is sectarian, which is disappointing to some of you but there you go. We support Everton because we support Everton. Presumably, the Kopites support Liverpool because they support Liverpool. Bigotry is here in Liverpool but it does not exist at the match. HTH

Religion is an issue in the whole of Scotland not just Glasgow.

Every time Liverpool are on the telly and it cuts to the fans, there's always a couple with the half and half scarfs and it's always ceptic ones!! Taigs for me I'm afraid!!

There is a Rangers/Liverpool half and half right at the start of this video, it's mirrored but you can spot it easy.

And Scotland is a worse place for it. You all worship the same (non existent) god, so why does that affect which football team you support?

True it is, how do you know God is non existent ? and it effects what team you support in Glasgow due to the fact Rangers are and were founded a Protestant club and Celtic are a Catholic club ( founded ) i can't explain it much easier... do a bit of research if you want to learn about it.

Liverpool were founded by an Orangeman. Sectarianism at the time was rife in liverpool at the time, worse than anywhere in Britain. Dont think its so important now.

Sad state of affairs when Liverpudlians would rather steal than be sectarian, they only have themselves to blame for it fizzling out down there.

True it is, how do you know God is non existent ? and it effects what team you support in Glasgow due to the fact Rangers are and were founded a Protestant club and Celtic are a Catholic club ( founded ) i can't explain it much easier... do a bit of research if you want to learn about it.

I know all about your origins and also Celtic's. I also know that for the great majority of people in Britain and Ireland, the local football club is not interested in anything that does not affect the football, ie religion. When people try and identify Everton or Liverpool as Catholic or Protestant they are simply demonstrating their ignorance and their bizarre way at looking at football. We are not sectarian over football down here. We never were, and I know all about Liverpool starting up in 1892. The feature of their team was not their religion, but their nationality. All of their players were Scottish. Regarding the existence of god, there is no evidence of his existence that was ever produced.

I know all about your origins and also Celtic's. I also know that for the great majority of people in Britain and Ireland, the local football club is not interested in anything that does not affect the football, ie religion. When people try and identify Everton or Liverpool as Catholic or Protestant they are simply demonstrating their ignorance and their bizarre way at looking at football. We are not sectarian over football down here. We never were, and I know all about Liverpool starting up in 1892. The feature of their team was not their religion, but their nationality. All of their players were Scottish. Regarding the existence of god, there is no evidence of his existence that was ever produced.

Just a question, why are you on this forum ?

Liverpool are not a "tim team" and anyone who thinks they are need a good slap. Liverpool are far bigger than Celtic god sake!

Disgusting team tbh.

They are just as cringey as the bheasts and aim to be loved by one and all just like the tattie munchers.

Match made in hell.

Fuck them both.

Wouldn't say Liverpool are a tim team after hearing this..

Oh we hate Bill Shankly

And we hate St John

But most of all we hate Big Ron

And we'll hang the Kopites one by one

On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey

So to hell with Liverpool and Rangers too

We'll throw them all in the Mersey

And we'll fight fight fight

With all our might

For the lads in the Royal Blue Jersey

sounds more anti/scottish to me.

Religion is an issue in Glasgow. Nobody in the rest of the country supports football on this basis. No club in England is sectarian, which is disappointing to some of you but there you go. We support Everton because we support Everton. Presumably, the Kopites support Liverpool because they support Liverpool. Bigotry is here in Liverpool but it does not exist at the match. HTH

It would be good if people supported their team for reasons other than religion, but the fact is that allegiance to a particular football club on religious grounds is more of an issue with the catholic community in Glasgow. Almost every catholic I know supports the manky mob in the East End, whereas a lot of protestants support teams other than Rangers. There are even protestants who support Septic, but the less said about them the better.

You shouldn't underestimate the bitterness - hatred, even - that many Scots catholics have for Britain. In the office in Glasgow where I used to work, I was pretty much the token protestant (albeit I'm agnostic). Out of about 30 people in that office, I was the only one who wore a poppy and observed the Remembrance Day silence. After a couple of years, I pulled up one of my catholic colleagues about it. His attempted justification for a lack of respect to the fallen was that the Irish (a group with which he identified himself despite being third or fourth generation British) considered Britain to be their enemy. That's what it is like up here, and it's pretty bleeding obvious where most (if not all) of the blame lies.

It would be good if people supported their team for reasons other than religion, but the fact is that allegiance to a particular football club on religious grounds is more of an issue with the catholic community in Glasgow. Almost every catholic I know supports the manky mob in the East End, whereas a lot of protestants support teams other than Rangers. There are even protestants who support Septic, but the less said about them the better.

You shouldn't underestimate the bitterness - hatred, even - that many Scots catholics have for Britain. In the office in Glasgow where I used to work, I was pretty much the token protestant (albeit I'm agnostic). Out of about 30 people in that office, I was the only one who wore a poppy and observed the Remembrance Day silence. After a couple of years, I pulled up one of my catholic colleagues about it. His attempted justification for a lack of respect to the fallen was that the Irish (a group with which he identified himself despite being third or fourth generation British) considered Britain to be their enemy. That's what it is like up here, and it's pretty bleeding obvious where most (if not all) of the blame lies. Regarding Protestants supporting celtic,

You're missing the point of what I was saying. Most of the posters on here are calling Liverpool and Everton Catholic and Protestant teams. They are not, and attempts to tar us with a sectarian brush are either mischievous or ignorant. In my line of work I travel the country, including Glasgow, and I know what the Celtic supporters and the Rangers supporters are like. I do not underestimate the hatred that some Celtic fans have for Britain, and that some Rangers supporters have for Ireland. I have to say that most of the Glasgow people I speak to condemn sectarianism when you speak face to face with them. Some of the people on here seem to back it. Just keyboard warriors? I expect so. I have a mate living in Liverpool who is a Catholic and supports Rangers. He gets slaughtered all the time by us lot (pay your bills etc) but takes it in good spirit. That's football, it's not any more important than that.