Time to go back to 4-5-1...

JRodgA2k8

This 4-4-2 experiment has now went on far too long, we really need to consider going back to our trusty 4-5-1 formation which while at times was horrible to watch provided us with positive results on the pitch.

Our midfield currently is way too weak which is emphasised by the domination from Hibs yesterday and we need to swamp that area again to try and regain a bit of control. We give away that area too easily and have done for months now. The combination of Black/Law doesn't work or at least they seen incapable as a duo to take control in a packed midfield courtesy our opponents.

If we play with some natural width/creativity on either side with the likes of Templeton/Aird with supporting runs from midfield to a sole striker we will no doubt reap greater benefits than what we have done recently.

People do say Boyd can't play up on his own but he's the reason we're playing 2 up and tbh it hasn't worked and yet we continue to play that way when he isn't starting games.

I would like to see us return to this formation next week and hopefully select the correct personnel to get the most out of it.

I doubt many will agree but right now it seems the only way forward in regards to setting up our teams and becoming hard to beat yet again.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. We need a third man in the centre of midfield, and pace in the wide areas

I was trying to think, hypothetically, what Walter would do if he was in charge of this shower of shite. I think Walter would go with something like this (when all fit) ....

Bell

Faure, McGregor, Zaliukas, Wallace

Hutton

Shiels, McCulloch, MacLeod, Templeton

Miller

Yes it would be dull, but it would probably have a chance of getting results

I would tend to agree with that, ideally accompanied by some presonnel changes but don´t see that happening under KMc.

As things stand, Macleod with Black/Hutton. Aird & Temps wide and Law/Shiels playing off Miller. I do think this would function far better than the 442 that far too easily exposes the failings of Law & Black (who are both shitebags unfortunately).

I agree with you. We need a third man in the centre of midfield, and pace in the wide areas

I was trying to think, hypothetically, what Walter would do if he was in charge of this shower of shite. I think Walter would go with something like this (when all fit) ....

Bell

Hutton

Miller

Best of friends.

Only play players who actually want to be at the club.

Foster, black, law, mohsni, peralta make them train with the kids, keep their cancerous attitude as far from the first team as possible. Any of our under 20s would give more fight than these imposters.

We need two mobile defensive midfielders protecting the back four and allowing two full backs to push on at times. Three rotating central midfielders then pushing forward to support a single guy up top, capable of running beyond the striker and getting in the box. Unfortunately, we don't have personnel capable of doing that or coached that way.

Anyone who thinks bringing in Hutton will improve the team has a severe problem

451 be negative and defensive? ?

Why don't we try 433 or 343 concentrate on atacking as we don't have anywhere enough good defensive resources to play defencesivley although we do and we lose lots of goals to the worst hibs team in history

While many were slating Foster for 3 of the 4 goals yesterday I went back and watched it again. In each occasion the back 4 are being pulled all over the place due to McCulloch's inability to play the position/lack of pace. With McCulloch in the back 4 we also play the midfield too far back. Get him to fuck out of there and play and press higher up the field. and yes a wake up call next game the team should be

Robinson

Simmanon McGregor Faure Wallace

Aird McLeod, Murdoch Shiels

Clarke

Boyd/Miller

Put the ball on the ground and play fitba

And the first cunt that looks as though they do not give a shit gets to fuck real early.

We ONLY play at a high pace high pressing game if you are not up for it pack yer bags and go.

Anyone who thinks bringing in Hutton will improve the team has a severe problem

451 be negative and defensive? ?

Why don't we try 433 or 343 concentrate on atacking as we don't have anywhere enough good defensive resources to play defencesivley although we do and we lose lots of goals to the worst hibs team in history

Changing to a 4-5-1 doesn't necessarily mean playing more defensively. If we did that it would allow us to play with two attacking wingers in Aird and Templeton (which we don't at present). It would also allow us to play Law off the striker (like he did at Motherwell and was a far better player).

Playing that would be a much more attacking formation than a 4-4-2 with Smith at LM.

As for the worst Hibs team in history, they are probably a better team now than the one that got relegated last season under Butcher.

Bell

Hutton

Miller

Honestly, Jig has to go........and Shiels does fuck all now, and Hutton ? fuck sake. Has to be Aird, Black, Law and Daly and Clark in there Jeez, like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic

I've thought this for a while. We constantly get over run in midfield and Law in particular goes missing. Maybe Black's shortcomings are sometimes down to not having enough help in the middle. I'd play a 4-2-3-1 with Black and Hutton holding, Law on the left which I know is unconventional but he has scored some really good goals coming inside on to his right foot and I don't think we have anybody to throw crosses into anway so wouldn't really need him going past men to cross the ball. I'd have Templeton on the right, give him 6/8 games uninterrupted and see if he can improve on his consistency and McLeod playing in the middle with Clark up top. Hopefull the two holding would give the defence cover and the front 4 would have lots of pace and movement. Foster is a bombscare but we have no one better at the moment and although McCulloch isn't quick again I don't think we have a better option. So with everyone fit i'd go;

Bell

Foster McGregor McCulloch Wallace

Black Hutton

Templeton McLeod Law

Clark

Until Bell and McLeod were fit I'd replace them with Simonsen and Shiels.